Is Quaker State a dying brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dogememe
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Not sure, they seem to have a killer deal on Quaker State full synthetic at Walmart. It's almost always $21 for a 5 quart jug.

Same price as Valvoline, so why bother with Quaker State? Ick.

Hmm, I would use Quaker State before I used Valvoline. Both good oils though.

Originally Posted By: Astro_Guy
Speaking as a marketing guy, I would say that both Quaker State and Penzoil brands have a limited life expectancy, but Quaker State will die first. Have a look at the definition of Viscosity Index and you will see why these brand names have value. Now that neither is made from Pennsylvania crude oil, that value is diminishing rapidly. Pretty soon anyone who understood the original value will be gone.

The world is getting to be a smaller and smaller place from an information perspective. There is no need for SOPUS to maintain a brand that has limited exposure or negative impressions in other world markets.

I'm not sure Pennzoil is going anywhere any time soon, and I hope they don't. I believe they have a superior product to Mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: Astro_Guy
Speaking as a marketing guy, I would say that both Quaker State and Penzoil brands have a limited life expectancy, but Quaker State will die first. Have a look at the definition of Viscosity Index and you will see why these brand names have value. Now that neither is made from Pennsylvania crude oil, that value is diminishing rapidly. Pretty soon anyone who understood the original value will be gone.

The world is getting to be a smaller and smaller place from an information perspective. There is no need for SOPUS to maintain a brand that has limited exposure or negative impressions in other world markets.

I'm not sure Pennzoil is going anywhere any time soon, and I hope they don't. I believe they have a superior product to Super Tech

No, You have to prove it’s better than Super Tech = new rules here …

Latest PQIA results for the QSHM either 5W20 or 5W30 looked impressive to me with the nice shot of Moly along with the other additives for the price. Currently running the new QSHM 5W20 formula in the Acura in signature and very happy with it. I have ran QSUD many times over the past couple years -- quality oil for the price. Think I paid $13.68 or $13.86 for the QSHM 5W20 5 quart jug. Possibly might just run the QSHM 5W20 for the rest of the Acuras ownership if price stays realistic.
Ps. Cant find the latest results for the QSHM from PQIA on here -- otherwise -- I would have copied/posted.

Dale

Last edited:
The last time I had an oil change at a shop I heard a conversation only a BITOGer would appreciate or understand.

This was at a Valvoline place

Man 1: "Yesterday we had an old man come in here and he brought a jug of Quaker State for us to use. At his age I wasn't going to question him but I guess Quaker State was his brand."

Man 2: "He wouldn't use Quaker State if he ever had to tear down a motor that ran it."

I'm not sure Pennzoil is going anywhere any time soon, and I hope they don't. I believe they have a superior product to Mobil 1.

And I'd gather Shell bought Pennzoil-Quaker State for branding, not for some magical expertise on producing basic API type oils in North America.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Wurlitzer
Man 2: "He wouldn't use Quaker State if he ever had to tear down a motor that ran it."

Good grief.

The last time I had an oil change at a shop I heard a conversation only a BITOGer would appreciate or understand.

Man 1: "Yesterday we had an old man come in here and he brought a jug of Quaker State for us to use. At his age I wasn't going to question him but I guess Quaker State was his brand."

I have heard stuff like that even from people in the automotive business and I just face palm. Ignorance is bliss???

If any SOPUS brand dies anytime soon, it'll be Formula Shell.
QS and Pennz are intended to occupy different segments of the market with QS being positioned as the bargain brand and Pennzoil as the premium one.
Both sell in good volumes and neither is likely to be ditched anytime soon.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
I hate the name, hate the bottle, and hate the oil. Yes it's a dying brand. Good riddins.

Your funny.

I've used QS many times in my gassers over the decades. IMO it's a great oil. It seems to move very quickly off of the WM shelves in my area. I'd be very surprised if SOPUS ever shuts the brand down.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I hate the name, hate the bottle, and hate the oil. Yes it's a dying brand. Good riddins.

Your funny.

Thats one of hundreds of reasons he is on my ignore list. He makes no sense at all

Originally Posted By: car51

Your funny.

Thats one of hundreds of reasons he is on my ignore list. He makes no sense at all

01.gif

Originally Posted By: car51

Your funny.

“Good Riddins”? Spelling by sound always ends up looking bad.

I don’t think so, just put some QSUD in the wife’s Jeep after BOGO 50% 5qt jug of at Meijer few weeks back just over $30 for 10qts didn’t seem to bad to me. Has good amount of moly & boron IMO its a still good oil at a nice price point.

Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle007
I think Pennzoil and qsd need to both go bye bye, and just market shell Helix, heck it's all the same company

And lose number one market share? Shell is not a well recognized brand in the North American market for PCMO.

If my dad has anything to do with it the brand isn't going anywhere. He still thinks it comes from PA.

My wife's town and country drinks a quart every 1k to 1.5k miles. At least with quaker state it is doing it quietly.

I still hear the "Never use Pennzoil!" and "Never use Quaker State!", it's "Liquid Sludge", from my friends who are mechanics. Even after I tell them both brands are owned by Royal Dutch Shell. Some old stories never die, I guess.

As a Truck Driver, I actually hope to hear a Trucker say the same thing about QS or Pennz so I can tell them it's made by the same company that makes Rotella.

For the record, I've used QS and Pennzoil for decades and I've never had a single problem. I've also used Castrol GTX, Valvoline, Trop Artic, Chevron Supreme, Mobil-1, you name it, I've probably used it. IMO all of them do a great job.

From what I've gleaned here, use any major brand motor oil that's approved by your engine's manufacturer, change it as recommended, use good filters, and you're good to go.

Thanks to BITOG, now I'm a Bargain Hunter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back