Ever Regret Starting the Motor Oil Journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny, I was obsessively poring over the oil at a WM last night and starting thinking about what a weirdo I have become...then I saw this thread today.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
...low on power and someone saying the battery might be low.

And then they'll need their blinker fluid checked...

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Each of us started a journey when we signed up to BITOG. A quest for motor oil knowledge.

After a while it seems that the main motor oil wisdom is to use the correct oil specified for your car, use a decent quality filter that doesn't tear, and change it at a reasonable time.

Do you ever feel disappointment when you discover this truth after hours of analyzing UOAs, MSDS, white papers, and anecdotal evidence on BITOG? I mean instead of doing all that we could have just read our car manual?

I have 1400 posts of BITOG. Lets say it takes an average of 5 minutes to read a thread, and an average of 5 minutes to type a response. That's 233 hours spent on BITOG or 5.8 weeks. A conservative estime.

How else could you spend your time? You could be learning a new language, learning a musical instrument, spending time with your family, or maybe making more money? There is so many other things you could be doing.

If I visit a quick lube place every 5k miles, provided they don't strip my drain plug, my car will make it to 300k miles no problem.

Was it worth starting the motor oil journey to learn this fact? Or did you discover other fundamental motor oil truths?

ABSOLUTELY! I've learned a ton of stuff from BITOG and I thank the members who do help the rest of us out.

Wrenching on cars has always been a hobby, I like getting as much oil for as little as I can now.(also filters)
This is a great hobby , Love It...

I came here for oil-related questions, but really don't read the oil specific boards much anymore. There is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to oil knowledge. A certain amount is useful. But beyond that it becomes trivia.

What I really like to read here are the general automotive, mechanical and maintenance, tool, lawnmower, and vehicles boards. There is useful information in there. Cars and driving always have interested me, I like hearing about other people's experiences with various makes and models.

There is a significant population of technophobic cheapskates with OCD tendencies around here. Always some unintended comedy when you have people like that sounding off on things automotive.

I dramatically regret not coming here sooner because this forum is too [censored] fun!

Oil yes, but so too everything automotive. My day job I adore and wouldn't give it up for anything, but I'll tell you all something folks on the board might appreciate...and get a chuckle out of, I always do!

As a professor by day, one of the first things I do when I teach a class is ask how many students have a license or drive. Then I ask how many of you know how to change your own oil? Then I ask how many of them have changed their own oil.

By that time most everyone's hand is down. Once in a while there is an exception to the rule, but the moral of the story is I try to help them understand there are so many everyday things that help them get to where they are, it is easy to overlook small details that drive them toward success and where they want to get to. They should not take things for granted - because without oil, the car would not go, and if the car cannot go, you won't get to where you are going. Appreciate everything and everyone that helps you on your journey in life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
How else could you spend your time? You could be learning a new language ...

Learning all the tecnical aspects of oil is learning a new language".
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
No. not at all. If I can pass something I learned on then its worth it. Not that I know much mind you but if someone got something out of it its all good, I learn a lot of things too so that makes it worthwhile.

I dont have any regrets joining BITOG. Some of my coworkers think I'm nuts for cutting apart oil, fuel and hydraulic filters but it's relaxing. Plus having Trav, The Critic, bbhero, molakule, astro14 and.many, many wonderful folks here I'm glad i am here
smile.gif

There's a few threads I regret reading like the boy in the Honda Odyssey.
But mostly it has been very informative and helpful.

No regrets what so ever.
This forum has a wealth of knowledge on more than just oil.
It's part of my daily routine. I left the automotive repair industry 10 years ago and I miss it.
This site help fill that void.
I appreciate all that contribute and help make it a great site
thumbsup2.gif

Wait a second. Let me put on my flame retardant suit first.

Ok, the main reason IMHO for long-timers wasting time in this and such forums is because they don't have much of a life.

Its a symptom of a lack of imagination, interest, and ability to spend time doing more fine and cerebral pursuits like playing a musical instrument, taking an online course, chasing women, exercising, having sex, reading, traveling, getting outside and fishing, hunting, running, and doing art.

Its a symptom of one that needs to get a life.

I mean, come on...its just oil, and here is the dirty secret nobody in these forums wants to talk about: You could put the worse oil sold in the USA in your motor and chances are huge that you could still get 200,000+ miles of reliable miles.

Why am I here? I find it entertaining to read all the craziness, over-the-top comments....you'd think oil was a matter of life and death.

This obsession with oil is indicative of something missing in one's life.

LOL x 1000

Originally Posted By: Kira
"Moderation in all things". My Mom said the ancient Greeks said that.

We're excellent sometimes:
Advising against MMO or wasteful, premature oil changes.
Warnings of truly bogus oil products (City Star, No-name dollar store etc.) and bad tooling at oil filter factories

All in all....it ain't bad. King Solomon has spoken.

"When King Solomon decreed that the Purolater should be installed one claimant sighed in relief and the other freaked out. Solomon then knew who the rightful owner was.

MMO Has it’s place, just not in motor oil

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
So, what you're saying is that all that humping, instrument plauing, outdoor going stuff still leaves a gap in your life that only BITOG can fill, right?
grin.gif

Heh heh. Yah, I'm turning into recluse. I visit my Mum once a week and dote on my grandsons. In between , I putter around the house and rest frequently due to COPD and general creakiness. Right now, I'm re-building the raised beds with landscaping timbers. I have 2 oil changes coming in the mail. When I rest, I re-hydrate and surf the net. Hey, I know some really interesting people. On BITOG, I can talk to my fellow 'Murricans AND people from all over the world. There are a lot of things I've learned here. Thank you all
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back