Which Michelin Tire Would You Purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to choose between a Michelin DEFENDER® T + H or a Michelin PREMIER® A/S. Which would you get? I live near NC/VA line. Really just want the quietest and most comfortable ride. Word or warning...if it ain't a Michelin, I ain't buying it. LOL...

Pretty please, I really don't want a lecture. Please just give me the pros and cons of these two specific tires by Michelin. I know this may be an impossible request but I'm trying....

I don't know anything about the Defender. I currently am using the Premier and they have lasted 40K with a great wear pattern. They may be able to go 5K more but this is my wife's car.

I have used both on the wife's CRV. The Defender lasted 40-45K and that is twice as long as the OEM Continental tires. Have not had the Premier A/S on long enough to compare its tread life to the Defender. I thought both were/are quality tires with a quiet competent ride. We run dedicated snow tires in winter so I can't comment about snow/ice performance.

Sounds like you have been happy with the Premier tire and that is the newer technology (vs defender), so why not just stay with it?

You don't wanna join the General RT43 herd?

https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/motorsport-messages-from-marshall/michelin-premier-as-vs-michelin-defender:-which-is-best

I have the Premier A/S on my 2010 Honda Element SC. That vehicle has a rough ride with lots of road noise. These tires are the best I've ever had on it. It has good tread life, overall handling, and low tire noise.

Scott

Premiers definitely ride better than the Defenders.

disclaimer: I have recommended or personally used, over 10 sets of Premiers in the last 1-2 years.

What car will they be going on? What tire size?
smile.gif

The Premier only comes with 8.5/32 of tread, which may be off-putting to some. I still think Michelin will eventually release a "Premier Plus" with the full 10/32

Is snow/winter performance a concern? If so, will you be using separate winter tires? Maybe the CrossClimate+ might be an option, if they carry it in your size. The CC+ is available in the US in select sizes, and it's one of those all-season tires with the 3-peak symbol (like Nokian's WRG series)

If snow/winter/cold weather performance doesn't matter at all, consider the Primacy 3 or Primacy HP. A Grand touring summer tire will give you the quietest and most comfortable ride.

What car?

Both are great choices.

The platform they are going on may guide the choice.

I'm surprised on lifeing. Were at 75%+ at 32k even on our van. My accord is even better wearing.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
have you asked michelin?

No but i will tomorrow

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What car?

Both are great choices.

The platform they are going on may guide the choice.

I'm surprised on lifeing. Were at 75%+ at 32k even on our van. My accord is even better wearing.

GS300. I got 2 size options. 215/60/16 or 225/55/16

Let me sell you a set of Defenders that I had to take off of my parents' 2012 Town and Country minivan at 37,000 miles, because they were worn out and not safe anymore.

You know, all of that crazy driving that nearly 80 year olds do, in a minivan.

I'm glad that someone wants to keep Michelin in business, it's not me.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Let me sell you a set of Defenders that I had to take off of my parents' 2012 Town and Country minivan at 37,000 miles, because they were worn out and not safe anymore.

You know, all of that crazy driving that nearly 80 year olds do, in a minivan.

I'm glad that someone wants to keep Michelin in business, it's not me.

My brother and sister in law had that exact van that they purchased brand new until it was totalled in a t-bone accident last Spring. That van ate tires! They were constantly having a 4 wheel alignments done because the front and rear tires were wearing unevenly. They even tried different repair shops for the alignment to no avail. Even with 5k rotations they never got more than 25k out of a set of tires.

I haven’t used a set of Premiers, so I don’t much about them, except that they start with less tread depth and warranty than Defenders. Keeping the rotations up, and the alignment checked/corrected occasionally, I get 60K out of Defenders on my ‘02 Camry, and I get a decent proration out of my local Discount Tire shop when I’m ready for new ones. They do the job well, so I see no need to change my tire-buying habits. I’ll put Defenders on my ‘10 Sonata when the Cooper CS3s that my father put on it, give up the ghost at 40K, or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back