Did You Quit Smoking ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I started smoking my Uncles Lucky Strikes when I was in the third grade. Smoked half a pack one night the next day I felt like I had turned green. Never had another cigarette. Maybe you just didn't start early enough!

Last edited:
What helped me more than anything else was something that I thought was a dumb idea, but I tried it anyways because it was worth it to quit smoking. Someone recommended that you take a paper that has a table with several rows and columns, and carry it with you all day long. Every time you want a smoke, you can have one--but you first write down the time of day in one column, what you are doing in the next, what you are thinking about and feeling in the next one. Then go ahead and smoke. The trick was not to try to stop or cut down, just to take a few seconds and write that information out. Each time you smoke, you use a different row. By the third day, I had gone from a pack/pack and a half a day, down to 3 cigarettes.

That worked. I stayed quit for a few years after trying that one. Went back, then I quit again, and I've been cigarette free since the 90s.

Last edited:
The 16th of this month was 6 years for me. I circled a day on the calendar and gave myself a month to psych myself up. You know, every day I'd look at he calendar and tell myself that was the day I was going to do it. I tried to read something about quitting smoking daily. Not about how bad smoking was but about how good quitting was. I didn't want to feel like I was being denied something but rather doing something really positive. I bought the patch to be ready for the big day. That day I chain smoked 4 Marlboro reds and through the rest of the pack in the garbage. The first 4 days sucked, but I got through it and so will you. Once you get the first week behind you it starts get easier. God luck!

I’m 38 now. I quit shortly after I turned 24. Actually I quit everything around that same time. Now I’m a teetotaler.

Chewed Nicorette gum for 2-3 months after quitting. To me, that’s the best solution to the cravings because it’s something you do with your mouth, which is a big part of the smoking addiction. And it knocks the edge off the cravings.

After 8-10 weeks, switch to Wrigley’s.

It works.

I quit a couple years back cold turkey......I also stopped drinking beer for about 6 months because that's when my cravings peaked. For some people it's after meals....I never really had that craving.

Don't hang out with people that smoke & stay busy......Impossible for me because every mechanic on earth is a smoker it seems! Though I did skip the smoke breaks.

The first few weeks are the hardest to get through, I feel so much better now that I quite.....Trust me it's worth the initial misery!!!!

I quit many times. The last and final time that I quit was because I was so broke that I figured I should use my last few pennies to buy food. Now I'm fat.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I got to quit smoking....besides drugs what has helped you?

In 1998, Thanksgiving eve, I was working at Brandon hospital (Brandon, FL.). The ICU Ward for, what they called "THE SMOKERS WARD," they had a VAV that was leaking water over the nurses station. Since I was the supervisor on the job I brought an apprentice with me up there. After seeing those people that had cancer, were being treated for cancer, who had scars the length of their torso, I quit right then and there! If you want to quit smoking, go to a hospital cancer ward. I would bet my life on it, that you WILL quit smoking after you witness what CAN become YOU!
Here's something to think about; every puff/drag of a cigarette you take is 7 seconds off of your life!
GOOD LUCK!

I smoked for 8 years from age 14 until I was 22. I smoked 10 cigarettes a day and sometimes I would smoke cheap cigars like Hav-A-Tampa Jewels or Dutch Masters. I credit smoking cheap cigars to helping me quit. Don't inhale the cigar smoke, it's a common mistake when switching to them. Smoking was a youthful indiscretion I'm glad I overcame. Not everyone who quits gains weight, I didn't. I've been 6'2" 160something before I quit.

Join a club that runs or cycles or swims or some other aerobic activity. Get into a group that does not smoke. Stay away from smokers. The tougher the process the more satifying the success.

I had a student come into my classroom and talk about how previously, he used to smoke all the time, never thought it would hurt him. He would leave after an 85 minute class and go into his van, where he inhaled from an oxygen tank. A couple years later, he took me again. This time, he was pulling his oxygen tank with him on a little dolly, everywhere he went. Used it all through the class.

I'd like to keep my lungs for as long as possible. I had an aunt smoke constantly. She got lung cancer, but even though they cured that, it metastasized and went to her brain. She died in the hospital from that.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Never started. Disgusting.

You obviously have no idea how smoking was viewed just 30 years ago. In 1984 EVERYONE smoked.....LOL.

Parents offered me $500 to not smoke until I was 21. That was around 1965 when I was 12.

I did buy a pack of cigarettes and smoked 2 in the woods near our house. So my smoking habit lasted 2 cigarettes. Coughed and said screw this.

Got the $500.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Well I started smoking my Uncles Lucky Strikes when I was in the third grade. Smoked half a pack one night the next day I felt like I had turned green. Never had another cigarette. Maybe you just didn't start early enough!

Similar thing happened to me when I was 14. Smoked 6 cigarettes in one day. I puked my guts out on the way home. Never had another cigarette ever.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Never started. Disgusting.

Well, habitual cigarette smoking, yes.

Occasional pipe tobacco cigar... not.

People have smoked various substances for thousands of years; there is a reason why.

Liken the activity to the drinking of alcohol. Habitually is not good, but that does not diminish the enjoyment of the activity if done in moderation JMO.

As an FYI, I have smoked about 5 Captain Blacks in the last 10 years. That is the extent of my habit.

Last edited:
Parents offered me $500 to not smoke until I was 21. That was around 1965 when I was 12.

I did buy a pack of cigarettes and smoked 2 in the woods near our house. So my smoking habit lasted 2 cigarettes. Coughed and said screw this.

Got the $500.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
People that drink at the job smoke are 100% LOSERS
You cant go 8 hours without a cocktail in your smoke in your hand? Losers. All of them.

12.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back