Mobil 1 Oil Selector Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking around Mobil 1's website and decided to try their "Find the Right Oil" selection tool for my 2011 Tundra with the 5.7 liter engine. It recommends a 0w or 5w-20 in their AP, EP, AFE, High Mileage or even conventional 5w-20 Mobile Super. However, there is no mention of plain old Mobil 1. Any ideas why it would not be recommended?

If I check the selector for my wife's CR-V it does not recommend the standard Mobil 1 either.

Last edited:
Because the standard Mobile 1 isn't flavored correctly!

I mean, come on... 5 additional versions leads directly to the paradox of choice. And the OPs statement prooves this quite well.

Thanks but no thanks Mobile!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
Mobile?

Ooops...I was thinking about Alabama!
grin.gif

Why would anyone use Mobile oil when Castor Oil is much better?

I'm sure most people have thought Mobil was spelled Mobile at one point or another.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
You can use it safely. They just want you to buy the others.

I just found it a bit odd that they would recommend Mobil Super and not the more expensive Mobil 1.

As for the spelling error, I'd like to blame it on auto-correct but that one was all on me.
grin.gif

It's possible that because "plain old Mobil 1" in 0w20 is actually the Advanced Fuel Economy (AFE) variation and they didn't wish to confuse you. I run Mobil 1 0wX oils year round in all my vehicles here in southeastern PA. I cannot think of a reason why you wouldn't want to do the same in Virginia. As a matter of fact, I would probably run the same oils in Mobile. I don't think I would run 0wx oils in Tuscon, but Mobile; why not?

I have run the mobil 1 0w20 afe in my 2007 tundra for probably the last 130k miles with no issues. I have 162k miles now.

Don't know why they don't state the regular mobil 1, maybe they want to push the other oils for sales reasons.

Originally Posted By: Astro_Guy
It's possible that because "plain old Mobil 1" in 0w20 is actually the Advanced Fuel Economy (AFE) variation and they didn't wish to confuse you. I run Mobil 1 0wX oils year round in all my vehicles here in southeastern PA. I cannot think of a reason why you wouldn't want to do the same in Virginia. As a matter of fact, I would probably run the same oils in Mobile. I don't think I would run 0wx oils in Tuscon, but Mobile; why not?

I guess my surprise was the fact they recommended 5w-20 Mobil Super (conventional) but do not recommend Mobil 1 5w-20. Just found it a little puzzling.

Imhad this same question late last year for my cars that both request 0W-20. The 5W-20 & 0W-20 are essentially AFE. In the weight, the weight savings alone give you the better fuel economy. So in the lower viscosity oils, AFE IS essentially Mobil 1. Its more fuel effecting b/c it's thinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back