Best/affordable way to pick up a boat/trailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a boat and trailer I would Like to pickup, it is 650 miles away, 3 states over.

I do not own a vehicle that can tow, my Dad have a '98 Ford Ranger that I'm planning to tow the boat to the local lakes.. but it's not something I would take on a 600 mile roadtrip.

What are my options here? UHaul bans towing, there are no Uhaul "truck" rental places within 70 miles. I do know some SUV's at Uhaul have hitches factory installed, but it's against the contract.

Should I ask people to borrow their truck and give them like $$$, what would be a fair price? What about these guys that drive Campers on the highways?

Last edited:
Rent a truck from BUDGET or Penskie with a hitch. I think I would not have a friend long if I asked that sort of favor. Ed

Last edited:
There are a lot of companies that will do that for you. From where to where and what boat and trailer? It seems to run about a $/mile.

Check with Enterprise - I saw they were renting F250's and up and they should allow you to tow. Or as others said, rent the U-Haul box truck and hook up to that.

Yes, they do and Dodge HD trucks as well. Check with Hertz also. Penske has some nice newer trucks. I'd shop them all.

Originally Posted By: charleshickman
There are a lot of companies that will do that for you. From where to where and what boat and trailer? It seems to run about a $/mile.

Saint Paul Minnesota to Mt. Carmel IL.

The boat is a Zodiac Mark 3 Futura HD, Trailer is galvanized but is 8ft 6 inch; wide.

Narrower but higher trailer is available.

Quote:
Check with Enterprise - I saw they were renting F250's and up and they should allow you to tow. Or as others said, rent the U-Haul box truck and hook up to that.

Yes I can rent the box truck, but I'm paying for the fuel!

Last edited:
And most places charge per mile.

When I bought my camper, the only working vehicle I had was the Focus with a recently installed hitch. I had only hauled a boat trailer before (it weighed 200 pounds). But I figured I would give it a try since I really wanted it.

I was surprised at how well the focus towed it back!

How big of a boat / trailer?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Yes, they do and Dodge HD trucks as well. Check with Hertz also. Penske has some nice newer trucks. I'd shop them all.
Enterprise can definitely get you a truck (or large SUV) that could do it, neighbor just rented a nice Ram 2500 with a Cummins & quad cab, nicer than my '06!

You can pull it with a Uhaul

Originally Posted By: U-Haul
Trailers

Most U-Haul trucks are fully equipped to tow a trailer. If you plan to tow a U-Haul trailer, you will be provided with the appropriate equipment and instructions. Read the U-Haul Trailer User Instructions thoroughly. Follow the instructions on how to properly load and operate your truck/trailer combination.

If you plan to tow your own trailer, check with a U-Haul representative to determine the maximum trailer weight you can tow. Make sure your trailer is properly loaded, that the coupler and safety chains are attached and that the trailer lights are working properly. See your trailer owner's manual for more information.

https://www.uhaul.com/Articles/Tips/123/Truck-User-Instructions/

Hope you got a screaming deal. Its goong to be painful to hpget it home.

If the tires and wheels bearing are not new i would change them out before hitting the road.

600 miles is a 10hour trip and 20hours round trip drivng. You would probably need a hotel stay for that ride. I woukd fly there first thing in the morning then rent a truck and drive back same day. It will be a miserable drive since you cant go very fast with that light boat flopong around back therr. You dont neeed a super duty truck but dont get a midsized either since that zodiac would catch the wind. a full size truck (F150 size) would handle sway better.

I bought a boat in Arizona and had it hauled to Minnesota. Its much more expensive than a car, they cannot switch a boat from one carrier to the other for part way hauls. I posted on an internet site and found a local guy that had a huge truck and was going on vacation in that area. He picked it up and brought it back, 18 ft boat, $600.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back