Mower starts on first pull of the rope in Spring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always a very satisfying feeling when it starts on the first pull after a winter of storage, even with last year's fuel, oil, and plug.!

And it also started on the first pull after installing fresh oil, fresh air filter, and fresh sparkplug.

Oh, the mower blade was sharpened too.

Last edited:
At first I was jealous about the reading about your first pull when reading the header. Then I read the full text and I was ok. Yeah. I had to change my plug. Mower wasn't starting with multiple pulls. Changed plug and wham it started on first pull. The old plug was fouled after I changed the oil last fall before I put it away. Somehow oil gets into the combustion chamber when doing a long oil drain which is what I did.

I corrected my post to eliminate confusion. Fresh oil, plug, and air filter every Spring. I add Stabil to every gallon of gas I buy all summer (or winter for the Snow Blower). My OPE will almost always start on first pull after storage when it is the season for its use.

I never add Stabil to the gas and in my honest opinion Stabil is snake oil and have never had a problem with ope sitting over the winter and the power washer sitting for several years.

Mine was run dry last fall. New gas yesterday, oil checked, and it started on the first pull! Weed eater and blower each took two or three pulls.

Originally Posted By: TheLawnRanger
I get a new blade instead of sharpening.

WOW! Done right , you can get years and years out of sharpening a blade. I have 2 sets each mower, so i always have a sharp one on the wall ready to go.

Ummm-mine started on the first pull, I didn't even drain the gas, just an ounce if Sta-Bil and topped it off with fresh gas. No new spark plug, either! Could stand to sharpen the blade a little, though.

My snapper hi vac didn’t start on the first several pulls because I forgot that it has a throttle lever that was in the stop position.

Guess im lucky going into 3 seasons with mower and weed eater. Mower was left by previous owners so no idea when it last got a filter or plug change...and weed eater hasnt gotten a new plug yet either but likely will give em both new plugs this year. They dont start on first pull out of storage but do once filled with gas and used regularly. Whats the deal do yall change plugs once a year?

Ours started first pull/crank, even the 1986 Ariens rider with a 2004-ish repower.

Two-stroke stuff started great too,

I run a splash of stabil and some two cycle oil in the fuel even in 4-stroke gear.

My Tecumseh mower is picky about old fuel. I left fuel in it through the winter last year and it barely started and kept reving up and down. Since then, I stored it this winter with a can of ethanol free fuel from Walmart. Starts right up on the first pull for the winter and runs strong. I don't like leaving a carb dry because in my opinion, the air will deteriorate the exposed seals.

I haven't started my mower yet this year, but I'm confident it'll start on the first pull, because it ALWAYS starts on the first pull, even after sitting all winter. Good ol' Honda GCV160. I did my usual winterizing procedure when I put it away for the winter: Scraped the underside of the deck clean, cleaned the whole topside and engine, sharpened the blade, changed the oil, drained the gas out. I think I also replaced the air filter, as it was dirty. I rarely replace the spark plug, as it hardly ever needs to be replaced.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I never add Stabil to the gas and in my honest opinion Stabil is snake oil and have never had a problem with ope sitting over the winter and the power washer sitting for several years.

I can't say I'd go that far, but I do think that is quite possible that it will work without treatment. I teat mine, and never have a problem. I kept reading in the last few years about ethanol in the gas and causing problems, so I treat, but I've never had a problem. Over 30 some years, I've done it both ways, with and without, and every time, my tractor, trimmer, tiller, blower, chainsaw etc, always start asap. I've only seen very few gummed up carbs, and they were on equip that hadn't been started in years, and most of them, fired up after a drain and refill, and maybe some carb cleaner.

My thought is, it doesn't hurt to treat gas, so if it will eliminate the potential problem, it's worth it.

My 1972 rider with a 6 hp Tecumseh engine has had the carb cleaned once, and probably 4 or 5 spark plugs, and one set of points in it life so far, and I figure it will last the rest of my mowing years. I change the oil once a year, (about 25 hrs) and clean and oil the foam air filter, and sharpen the blades. I use non ethanol gas and put stabil ( double strong dose) in it for winter storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back