Sodium: 14
Calcium: 2780
Magnesium: 6
Phosphorus: 1165
Zinc: 1226

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F: 65.2
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C: 11.67
Flashpoint: 455°F
TBN: I thought I paid for it, have to check my credit card to see if I got charged the extra $10 for it.

I like it
smile.gif

Am I right to guess that with all the Calcium that this would not be a good contender for Direct injection Turbo engines?

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Am I right to guess that with all the Calcium that this would not be a good contender for Direct injection Turbo engines?

Yes, as the only thing it has going for it 'saving' it in that DI/LSPI respect is the fairly low claimed by Red Line NOACK of ~6.0, and the high moly (taking for granted DIMER type at that level?) but not sure IF that is enough to overcome THAT level of calcium.
21.gif

Dave, the tech at Red Line says that is so, but then he IS biased.
wink.gif
LOL

Calcium may be a good thing, according to Lubrizol's patent.

https://patents.google.com/patent/EP2625254A1/en

TITLE: Lubricating Oil Composition with Anti-Mist Additive
FIELD OF INVENTION
[0001] The present invention relates to a lubricating composition containing an oil of lubricating viscosity, a high molecular weight polyolefin that is at least substantially free of ethylene- derived blocks, and an overbased metal containing detergent capable of reducing intake valve deposits in a direct injection engine.

Case No. 3852-01 Claims:
1. A lubricant composition comprising
(a) an oil of lubricating viscosity,
(b) a polyolefin of number average molecular weight at least about 20,000, wherein the polymer comprises 0 to about 20 percent by weight of ethylene-derived monomer units, said polyolefin being present in an amount of about 0.001% to about 1.0% by weight of the composition, and
(c) an overbased metal containing detergent.
2. The composition of claim 1 where the polyolefin comprises about 50 to 100% by weight of units derived from at least one olefin monomer having four or more carbon atoms.
3. The composition of claim 1 or claim 2 where the polyolefin has a number average molecular weight of at least about 50,000 and comprises isobutylene-derived units.
4. The composition of any one of claims 1 through 3 where the number average molecular weight of the polymer is about 200,000 to about 10,000,000.
5. The composition of any of claims 1 through 4 where the overbased detergent comprises a calcium sulfonate with a metal ratio of at least about 3.5.
6. The composition of any of claims 1 through 5 wherein the overbased detergent comprises a phenol-based detergent.
7. The composition of any of claims 1 through 6 wherein the overbased detergent contributes about 90 percent to about 100 percent of the TBN to the composition.
8. The composition of any of claims 1 through 6 wherein the overbased detergent contributes about 40 percent to about 90 percent of the TBN to the composition.
9. The composition of any of claims 1 through 8 where the composition has a sulfated ash content of about 0.3% to about 10% by weight.
10. The composition of any of claims 1 through 8 wherein the composition has a sulfated ash content of about 0.3% to about 1.0% by weight.
1 1. The composition of any of claims 1 through 10 further comprising an ashless dispersant, an antiwear agent, an ashless antioxidant, a friction modifier, a viscosity index improver, or a combination thereof.
12. The composition of any of claims 1 through 1 1 wherein the oil of lubricating viscosity comprises an API Group III or Group IV oil or mixtures thereof.
13. A method of lubricating an internal combustion engine, comprising supplying thereto the lubricant composition of any of claims 1 through 12.
14. The method of claim 13 wherein the internal combustion engine is a direct injection gasoline engine.
15. The method of claim 13 wherein the internal combustion engine is a compression-ignition engine.
16. The method of claim 13 wherein the internal combustion engine is a marine diesel engine comprising a cylinder which is lubricated with said lubricant.
17. A method of reducing inlet valve deposits in a direct injection gasoline engine comprising supplying to the engine the lubricant composition of any of claims 1 through 12.
18. A method of reducing oil misting in a direct injection gasoline engine comprising supplying to the engine the lubricant composition of any of claims 1 through 12.
19. A method of reducing oil misting in a compression-ignition engine comprising supplying to the engine the lubricant of any of claims 1 through 12.
20. A method of reducing oil misting in a marine diesel cylinder comprising supplying to the cylinder the lubricant composition of any of claims 1 through 12.
21. The method of claim 20 wherein the marine diesel cylinder is within a 2- stroke marine diesel engine.

from reading seems LSPI is only an issue in smaller overworked turbo-DI engines, or is it GM's use of cheap offshore pistons!!! the "bean counters" $$$$ are at it again!! Redline uses a lot of the good stuff aka Moly + ZDDP lacking in todays cheaper "synthetics"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: benjy
from reading seems LSPI is only an issue in smaller overworked turbo-DI engines, or is it GM's use of cheap offshore pistons!!! the "bean counters" $$$$ are at it again!! Redline uses a lot of the good stuff aka Moly + ZDDP lacking in todays cheaper "synthetics"

Driving in an ONLY car one of those "smaller overworked TDI engines" myself, IF I could be assured of less chance of LSPI/intake valve deposit formation, I would use Red Line 5W-30, in a heartbeat.

But since that is not the case, I look elsewhere for engine oil.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Driving in an ONLY car one of those "smaller overworked TDI engines" myself, IF I could be assured of less chance of LSPI/intake valve deposit formation, I would use Red Line 5W-30, in a heartbeat.

wink.gif

Having a car before with one of those smaller overworked TDI engines myself, LSPI wasn't an issue with them. Intake valve deposit formation wasn't an issue. The deposits were at the EGR and built up in the intake manifold. The easiest fix was not oil, but adjusting the pulse width modulation of the EGR for reduced duty cycle, so less particulate matter could have the chance to mix with PCV oil vapors.

One of VW's patents did suggest esters in oils to reduce intake valve deposit formation. So that's why I'm giving it a try along with the hype of low NOACK volatility, on a TSI (the later definition of TSI) motor.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Originally Posted By: dailydriver

wink.gif

Having a car before with one of those smaller overworked TDI engines myself, LSPI wasn't an issue with them. Intake valve deposit formation wasn't an issue. The deposits were at the EGR and built up in the intake manifold. The easiest fix was not oil, but adjusting the pulse width modulation of the EGR for reduced duty cycle, so less particulate matter could have the chance to mix with PCV oil vapors.

One of VW's patents did suggest esters in oils to reduce intake valve deposit formation. So that's why I'm giving it a try along with the hype of low NOACK volatility, on a TSI (the later definition of TSI) motor.

As far as I've heard so far, my 1.6 EcoBoost does NOT have any EGR caused/related problems, so maybe Ford's power train engineers have figured that one out?
21.gif

Also, for whatever little it may be worth (according to some on here), I DO have a high capacity oil catch can/air-oil separator installed into the PCV line as well, (with a high grade check valve in that line as well), plus a one way check valved, CFM oil cap 'breather'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back