transmission cooler sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan which I use to tow a trailer. I just got a larger trailer (2000 pounds ready to roll) and want to upgrade my aftermarket trans cooler. The current trans cooler is a "no name" which is about 5 inches by 10 inches by 1 inch thick, installed in front of the radiator. The cooler was installed by a local RV dealer. I want a larger cooler but am confused on what size to get. I have enough room to install an 11 inch by 11 inch by 1 inch thick cooler.

What size cooler for max reliability?

Are plate and fin and stacked plate coolers better?

Is there a cooler design that has less flow restriction?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I do not have a way to read ATF temps at this time. I have read that an OBD reader can give you ATF temps, but, not sure if that works on a 2003 Caravan.

I haven't used my code reader on my Jeep (same year as your van), but my OBDII will pull live data from my 1997 truck.

Honestly, I wouldn't change a thing until you can get some numbers. With an aftermarket cooler already installed, you're more better off than 99.9% other users out there.

On newer cars the torque converter will not lock up unless it reaches a certain temp in so many miles.

Originally Posted By: Oldtom
I have a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan which I use to tow a trailer. I just got a larger trailer (2000 pounds ready to roll) and want to upgrade my aftermarket trans cooler. The current trans cooler is a "no name" which is about 5 inches by 10 inches by 1 inch thick, installed in front of the radiator. The cooler was installed by a local RV dealer. I want a larger cooler but am confused on what size to get. I have enough room to install an 11 inch by 11 inch by 1 inch thick cooler.

What size cooler for max reliability?

Are plate and fin and stacked plate coolers better?

Is there a cooler design that has less flow restriction?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Do you mean Tube & Fin vs Stacked Plate?

Stacked Plate Coolers are the most efficient but also tend to have the greatest pressure drop across the core.
Check out Tru-Cool Low Pressure Drop (LDP) coolers.
B&M Super Coolers are also really good but have a greater pressure drop.....I have only seen it be an issues with people daisy chaining more than one in series.

In the high performance world (High Stall Converters).....You want the biggest cooler that will physically fit the space. The towing world is the same if your exceeding the capacity of the factory cooler/s.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: clinebarger

Do you mean Tube & Fin vs Stacked Plate?

Stacked Plate Coolers are the most efficient but also tend to have the greatest pressure drop across the core.
Check out Tru-Cool Low Pressure Drop (LDP) coolers.
B&M Super Coolers are also really good but have a greater pressure drop.....I have only seen it be an issues with people daisy chaining more than one in series.

In the high performance world (High Stall Converters).....You want the biggest cooler that will physically fit the space. The towing world is the same if your exceeding the capacity of the factory cooler/s.

I just installed a Tru-cool Max on the avalanche. Its the 45,000btu cooler. Model LPD 47391.
Its thick and is a big cooler.
Sorry for the poor quality pics, i just snapped a few quick ones.

Ditto - Have an LPD (low pressure drop) on Canyon ahead of XG16 filter ... think it’s 11k BC I only tow like 2k but also like it for 4WD in sand when the fan kicks in ... later being the reason you space them close to other coils so the fan gives them flow ... same in stop & go traffic
My filter is in the grill too ... probably cools a bit

Last edited:

Stock cooler VS aftermarket cooler.
Really depends on how hot you get.
When I tow with the updated cooler I don't see over 190, with old one I could see 220.

My transmission guy has said if you can hit 125 to 140 unloaded you should be fine. I can't speak for you van but you need to figure out hot it is actually getting.

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
Does your Caravan have the in-radiator trans cooler as well?

Yes, this should NOT be bypassed or eliminated!

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: umungus1122
Does your Caravan have the in-radiator trans cooler as well?

Yes, this should NOT be bypassed or eliminated!

Why not? I bypassed the heat exchanger on my Falcon a couple of years ago, absoulutely no change in how the transmission functions, BUT, there is zero chance of a strawberry milshake occuring...

Thanks to everyone who posted. I do have the existing radiator cooler hooked up in series with the small external cooler. I am thinking about borrowing an electronic thermometer and a long wire thermocouple from work. I will tow the trailer for an hour, then stop and drop the thermocouple down the dipstick tube. That should tell me if I need to worry at all.

Thanks for the advice
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back