Additive Chemistry Components II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
A dinonyl-type naphthalene sulfonate could be used in a hydraulic oil.

In your own words - what protection might this component might provide?

Swipes and YouTube dumps do not qualify as a valid answer.
31.gif

I don't know.

But I bet that anyone in a technical job could pose a stumper like this for people that weren't in their industry. Good luck chaps, I hope your chemistry etc are up to snuff!

Last edited:
For hydraulic oils specifically, I believe the main purpose would be increased demulsibility to deal with moisture, though it can add a few other benefits as well.

In your own words - what protection might this component provide?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JLTD
I don't know.

But I bet that anyone in a technical job could pose a stumper like this for people that weren't in their industry. Good luck chaps, I hope your chemistry etc are up to snuff!

C'mon now J, where's your sense of discovery and Web search.
smile.gif

Last edited:
It's an extreme pressure additive that stabilizes the hydraulic interstitial forces that develop when the pressure is transferred through the fluid.

An acid that can create salts in presence of other elements such as sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, barium, zinc, and ammonium. In hydraulic fluid these could be used for antiwear, antifoam , anticorrosion additives. Certain compounds function as plasticizer in rubber as seal conditioners....?

A dinonyl-type naphthalene sulfonate could be used in a hydraulic oil.

In your own words - what protection might this component provide?

A dinonyl-type naphthalene sulfonate is an ash-type sulfonate and may contain the metals Zinc, Calcium, or Barium.

In a hydraulic oil it protects against Rust as a Rust Inhibitor and as an Emulsifier.

So QuattroPete, MotoTribologist, and KGMtech receive the much sought after BITOG virtual Coffee Mug.

happy2.gif
banana2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Get some rest …

Do you have a technical comment to add to this discussion?
smile.gif

Last edited:
I think I am in the same time zone as yourself, so it is early afternoon here, and enjoying last -
coffee2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back