Ford 1.5 EcoBoost P2243

Status
Not open for further replies.
16 Ford Fusion 1.5L. Car is over 60K miles so it's out of warranty.

Check engine light is on, code is P2243: Bank1 Sensor1 02 Sensor Reference Voltage Circuit/Open.

The car drives fine, though fuel economy is below what I would expect it to be.

Seems all I have to do is check fuses and wiring and if everything is OK, change the sensor.

I looked on Rockauto and I'm confused about this. Which one is the correct one? Both have the little "popular" heart icon on Rockauto.

MOTORCRAFT DY1273 {#DS7Z9F472B}
Upper; Located Before Converter

MOTORCRAFT DY1268 {#DS7Z9G444A}
Upstream; Located In Converter

Last edited:
A 9F472 is an upstream O2, known as a HEGO (Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen) Sensor. A 9G444 is a downstream or catalyst monitor sensor. RockAuto's wording as far as description of Upstream for the 9G444 is incorrect. It does thread directly into the catalytic converter though.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
MOTORCRAFT DY1273 {#DS7Z9F472B}
Upper; Located Before Converter
Thats the one you want. The OBDII code you got points to the upstream sensor.
(Note: There are two sensors, one upstream of the cat, and one downstream of the cat.)

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
A 9F472 is an upstream O2, known as a HEGO (Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen) Sensor. A 9G444 is a downstream or catalyst monitor sensor. RockAuto's wording as far as description of Upstream for the 9G444 is incorrect. It does thread directly into the catalytic converter though.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Thank you!

When looking at just the short numbers, it will always confuse people. That is why when doing Ford parts we have to memorize the base number, the middle part of the long number, as that will tell the parts person exactly what the part is. Plus combining it with the prefix, it will tell you the application.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I would look into getting this covered by the warranty. Emission components, especially for cars sold in CA have I think 80k mile warranty.

It is absolutely worth a shot. The dealer cannot go by a customer pulled code though for warranty. They will have to pull the code with an IDS and screen shot it to submit to Ford.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I would look into getting this covered by the warranty. Emission components, especially for cars sold in CA have I think 80k mile warranty.

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/2012Warranty.pdf
says California goes 7 years 70,000 miles on ONLY CERTAIN specific parts, and O2 sensors are NOT covered there.

Oxygen sensors are included, they fall under the "Air/Fuel Feedback Control System and Sensors".

http://owners.honda.com/Documentum/Warranty/Partslist/apl27540.pdf

Oxygen Sensors 3/36 7/70 15/150

OP go to the dealer and have them do a warranty look at it. If it is the O2 sensor that should still be covered.

Does the warranty cover things related to the o2 sensor (like wiring and such) or just the o2 sensor itself?

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Oxygen Sensors 3/36 7/70 15/150OP go to the dealer and have them do a warranty look at it. If it is the O2 sensor that should still be covered.
You are probably right. A new Ford reference (for 2016 specifically) has been re-worded from the 2012 document I referenced earlier.
"For 7 years or 70,000 miles (whichever first occurs):
If an emissions-related part listed on pages 27 and 29 with coverage for 7
years or 70,000 miles is defective or if its failure causes your vehicle to fail
a Smog Check inspection
, the part will be repaired or replaced by Ford.
This is your long-term emission control system DEFECTS WARRANTY."

Note: 'long-term emission DEFECTS WARRANTY' refers to the 7/70 warranty specifically.

So, if you take it into a Ford dealership, and they say Sorry, we can't cover it because it's NOT listed on page 27-29 specifically, THEN the customer must point them to the wording in a preceding page saying "fail a Smog Check inspection", which this would do.
https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/gene...-US_03_2015.pdf

Does the warranty cover things related to the o2 sensor (like wiring and such) or just the o2 sensor itself?
See above. ANYTHING that makes you fail a Smog Check inspection, and during an inspection they will look to see if any OBDII codes are active, which yours is. So I think according to the wording in the Ford Warranty document https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/gene...-US_03_2015.pdf you "should" be covered.

Last edited:
dogememe, You may have an uphill battel arguing with a Service Manager at Ford about warranty coverage.
It appears one could interpret the Ford Warranty Documents as saying O2 sensors are NOT covered after all. It depends on how you interprent the "or fails a Smog Check inspection" clause in the 7/70 emissions CA warranty.

For example, if this car was a GM 2016 car, the O2 sensors would clearly NOT be covered (note the absense of an asterisk on O2 sensor):

Odd, but if its a Honda, their's is clearly covered !!! So weird.

stealers can + do charge for a diagnosis so ask first as the part cost installed by you could be cheaper!!

What a deal would do is get you to authorize an hour of labor for diag. Then once they determine the part is covered under warranty, you don't pay. However if it isn't warranty you are on the hook for the diag. Some dealers roll that diag fee over to the labor to install.

What a deal would do is get you to authorize an hour of labor for diag. Then once they determine the part is covered under warranty, you don't pay. However if it isn't warranty you are on the hook for the diag. Some dealers roll that diag fee over to the labor to install.

That should have read "what a dealer would do" but I just realized now I typed too fast and didn't proofread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back