So... are sludged engines a thing of the past?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JLTD
You're not shoving me anywhere, and you can stop trying to paint me into a corner. If you don't understand my meaning, then read the site so you will understand the meaning of the phrase, "condemnation point". And also so you might understand that condemnation point may be subject to interpretation, aka debated BITOG style, depending on who you're talking to, what they drive, and their driving habits.

You missed my point, JLTD, and took offense where none was needed. You brought up condemnation point, so I wanted to hear what your thoughts were. If all you're going to do is reference the 300k+ opinions on here as your point of reference, well then that's a little nebulous, eh? I figured since you brought it up, you were going to have specifics, hopefully driven off data like Doug Hillary or DNewton3. That's all my question was, to try to build more conversation around "condemnation point", sludging, and T/GDI engines.

To the other poster about linearity, yes I believe iron trends will not stay linear forever... but out of 9 UOAs over the past 100k miles, my Fe wear rate has not changed statistically from OCIs of 7.6k all the way to 17.2k, and has essentially worked out to 0.92ppm per 1k miles over 100k of driving. So that's what I was using for my reference point.

I'm almost to the point on this GDI train that I think it was developed by the oil companies- sure, they may sell a couple less gallons of gasoline as GDI engine efficiency increases incrementally, but in the long run sell waaaay more oil because of fuel dilution and the fact that everyone's convinced they need 3-5k OCIs even with top-tier synthetics on T/GDI engines!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted By: JLTD
You're not shoving me anywhere, and you can stop trying to paint me into a corner. If you don't understand my meaning, then read the site so you will understand the meaning of the phrase, "condemnation point". And also so you might understand that condemnation point may be subject to interpretation, aka debated BITOG style, depending on who you're talking to, what they drive, and their driving habits.

You missed my point, JLTD, and took offense where none was needed. You brought up condemnation point, so I wanted to hear what your thoughts were. If all you're going to do is reference the 300k+ opinions on here as your point of reference, well then that's a little nebulous, eh? I figured since you brought it up, you were going to have specifics, hopefully driven off data like Doug Hillary or DNewton3. That's all my question was, to try to build more conversation around "condemnation point", sludging, and T/GDI engines.

To the other poster about linearity, yes I believe iron trends will not stay linear forever... but out of 9 UOAs over the past 100k miles, my Fe wear rate has not changed statistically from OCIs of 7.6k all the way to 17.2k, and has essentially worked out to 0.92ppm per 1k miles over 100k of driving. So that's what I was using for my reference point.

I'm almost to the point on this GDI train that I think it was developed by the oil companies- sure, they may sell a couple less gallons of gasoline as GDI engine efficiency increases incrementally, but in the long run sell waaaay more oil because of fuel dilution and the fact that everyone's convinced they need 3-5k OCIs even with top-tier synthetics on T/GDI engines!
smile.gif

Well my apologies then, shoving has a connotation of unpleasant challenge....and I responded in kind.

My take on condemnation: when the oil can't do its job any more. When the additive depletion has reached a point where the oil will thicken as it is unable to absorb further impurities, whether they are acids or something else. Time and time again, we've seen on here OCIs that went too far and allowed the oil to thicken to the point of sludge - or even worse, chunks - which to me is obviously beyond condemnation. As you mentioned, condemnation could also be when the ppm of an impurity reaches an unacceptable level.

Condemning oil isn't based on one thing but on a full look at what is going on. For example, an oil could be chemically finished but have nearly no iron in it, and vice versa.

I thought that cars with exotic multi-carb setups had just as much fuel dilution as a badly designed GDI engine. Does anybody know of exotic multi carb engines that have sludge because they waited too long between oil changes?

I would think excess fuel dilution would raise the NOACK which would lead to varnish if ran too long. That's a problem because varnish is like a sticky primer coat for deposits.

49.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back