naturally aspirated cars left?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the Toyota Avalon was PFI with a six speed auto up until the 2018 model year, at which point it is going DI.
I think the Camry went DI a year earlier.

My 2017 Ford Fusion fits all of the criteria you mentioned. Actually That's want I wanted when I bought it.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Charger has three different naturally aspirated port-injected options and one supercharged mill.
Yep, and ZF 8-speed trans to go with it which I think is nicer than Fusion's 6-speed unit (6F), but for put-putting around town, I suppose either one will do. I tried driving a Fusion Sport in a somewhat spirited manner, and I remember it could have benefited from a better trans. The gearing was weird and trans programming not very responsive.

Been shopping for the same thing - non-turbo, port injection V6. Only one I can find is the Ford Explorer with the 3.5l Ti-VCT V6 but this is the last year for that engine in the Explorer.

Originally Posted By: flinter
Hi,

Besides the 2017/2018 Hyundai Elantra, what are the remaining main stream cars still with a naturally aspirated NON tubro, NON direct injection with a standard 6 speed auto transmission??
The tend is all turbo and DI these days and it seems, to me at least, that the new Elantra sticks out as a simpler engine that may indeed get trough a 10 year period with the least mechanical issues.

Thanks

Look for something with a 20 year old design.

Curious why GDI falls under non naturally aspirated? A NA engine isn't defined by its fuel system. It has to do with its air intake. No turbo, no supercharger, pistons pulling air into the engine, is NA to me. And GDI engines pull the air in via piston vacuum. Please explain

Don

I think the fusion is staying around for a while yet. Ford has access to a 9 speed auto they jointly designed with GM, I think they just focused their resources on getting the f150 10-speed dialed in and programmed just so. That 10-speed is also going into the 2019 ranger which I just might buy. Twin scroll 2.3 that’s going to be a torque monster in a midsize pickup, and the potential to get the same mileage as my current Fusion. I get 24-25 with 50-50 city/hwy and I have a heavy foot.

That 2.3 can get 30mpg in the mustang

There are several engines that are now using both port and direct injection, giving the advantages of both without the drawbacks of DI only, and also allowing the use of a higher compression ratio for higher efficiency. Mazda's Skyactiv is one application of this kind of technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back