Inherited gallons of Amsoil 40wt oils all cars 30w

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the topic says inherited gallons of Amsoil 15w40 and 10w40 with 1qt of 0w40

I live in a colder climate and own a 2013 Chevy Volt and a 2010 Cobalt XFE

ONE takes 5w30 the other 10w30

Mix of diesel, Motorsport and Motorcycle oils

Curious Amsoil says the 15w40 is good down to negative 43 or some nonsense

It can get to -30 is this stuff really usable that cold or do I need to treat it as summer oil?

Do you see any issues with using this stuff in either car?

I will probably follow a 5k OCI

Also can I mix the lone 0w40 with the 10w40?

Thanx
Ryan

You can safely mix any oils from the same manufacturer w/ the same formulation. You should get a predictable viscosity based on the ratio of oils in the blend.

I wouldn't use the 15w40 in the winter. I also would not use that oil in a modern gasoline engine with catalytic converters as it is high in phosphorous and will kill your cats in short order. It would also likely give you poor fuel economy.

Any engine oils that are older an have been sitting for awhile should be heated up to room temperature and thoroughly shaken to mix up any settled additives.

Last edited by a moderator:
The -43 is the pour point of the oil and is of little value to you at this point. I think I would try to sell or trade for a more useful weight for your vehicles. Ed

Yes, you can use them in your vehicles(summers mainly). And all of the oils can be mixed but IMO, keep the oil that you want, sell off the ones that you don't and buy the oil that you need...or buy something else entirely with the money. Sell'em all if they don't fit your needs!

So you've got a gallon of 15w40, a gallon of 10w40, plus one quart of 0w40?

No problem using them in your vehicles, but I agree that winter wouldn't be the best time for the 15w40.

I live in Wisconsin,

Craigslist is pretty much a joke up here too few local folks to trade with.
Cost of shipping isn’t worth the trade value

I have something like 3 jugs and 1 quart and an unopened jug of Mobil 1 15w50 which I could use as chain oil.

there is a local small time Amsoil dealer I will nag him with a few $$$ on the table and see if he will take some unopened jugs.

i would just use it, the cat poisoning risk is overrated in my opinion, I have been using a diesel rated hdeo in my gas ML 320 for years without any issue

if your car does not burn oil the risk is very low, if the rings or valve seals are worn out the blow by will kill the cat converter

I don't think I'd use a 40 viscosity when the engine calls for a 30, especially in a Northern state. Trade it or sell it and get the correct oil. Ed

Originally Posted By: CleverUserName
You can safely mix any oils from the same manufacturer w/ the same formulation. You should get a predictable viscosity based on the ratio of oils in the blend.

I wouldn't use the 15w40 in the winter. I also would not use that oil in a modern gasoline engine with catalytic converters as it is high in phosphorous and will kill your cats in short order. It would also likely give you poor fuel economy.

Any engine oils that are older an have been sitting for awhile should be heated up to room temperature and thoroughly shaken to mix up any settled additives.

Well lets see, I been using HDEO with over 1,200 PPM Ph and Zn in CAT equiped cars and trucks for 30 years now. Never killed a CAT (on the car) yet. Won't touch a CAT unless you are burning oil and sending it down stream. This kill teh CAT thing is way over blown.

If your motor is tight and not using oil much, why would it even touch the CAT ...

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

Well lets see, I been using HDEO with over 1,200 PPM Ph and Zn in CAT equiped cars and trucks for 30 years now. Never killed a CAT (on the car) yet. Won't touch a CAT unless you are burning oil and sending it down stream. This kill teh CAT thing is way over blown.

If your motor is tight and not using oil much, why would it even touch the CAT ...

My man... X2

But I would only use them spring, summer and fall where you live. If we see 10 degrees where I live we go berserk. I mainly use 10w40 year round in all of "my" cars and mowers. I've gone back to Amsoil. I just swap around between the 10w-40's and the 15w-40's. Just what every hits me at the time. Like BrocLuno, I've never had a cat go bad and the GS300 has used oil since about 130K. Look at my mileages......

My one car takes 3 quarts of oil

Are you saying I could buy a quart of Amsoil 0w20 and mix in 2 quarts of 15w40 and get
Approx 10w33 ? (Which is good to zero F)

Or are the different Amsoil oils too different to mix and have a reasonable lifespan?

Also what is the lowest temp 15w40 Amsoil will work at?
It’s synthetic so it should work at slight lower temps than 15w40 Dino juice, are we talking
20F or does it being synthetic have no affect on operating temperatures?

Originally Posted By: Rmay635703
I live in Wisconsin,

Craigslist is pretty much a joke up here too few local folks to trade with.
Cost of shipping isn’t worth the trade value

I have something like 3 jugs and 1 quart and an unopened jug of Mobil 1 15w50 which I could use as chain oil.

there is a local small time Amsoil dealer I will nag him with a few $$$ on the table and see if he will take some unopened jugs.

Good idea. Amsoil will take exchanges, since there is a dealer there you should be set.

cf028082-9c32-408b-9922-6c55c0d2dc53_SAE%20chart.jpeg

Also what’s the deal with the chart above?

-4F for 15w40 semi synthetic?

At least for the XWYY oils, the chart just reflects the temperatures at which the oils are tested for cold cranking (CCS test).
They are tested for pumpability (MRV test) at 5C below the CCS test temperature (so at -40C for 0WYY, for example).

I'm not sure how the temps for the straight grades were selected.

EDIT - sorry, I wasn't quite correct here...15W40 oils are tested at the same temps whether they are synthetic, blended, or dino...just like any of the oil grades.

Last edited:
cf028082-9c32-408b-9922-6c55c0d2dc53_SAE%20chart.jpeg

IMO that reflects the better cold temperature properties of even partially synthetic oils.

I would buy some of the same line of Amsoil in XW-20 and mix it 50/50 with what you have to end up with XW-30. I did this with left over Mobil 1 0W-40 from previous BMW ownership, but used Mobil 1 5W-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back