Oil Filter Recommendations for a 82 trans am

Status
Not open for further replies.
Application:
1982 Trans am 305 Crossfire
84K miles

I'm on my last oil filter, A Mobil 1 that was installed last summer 2017 and want to stock up, And was wondering what you guys recommend for mainly a garage queen/nice weather car ?? For this year, I estimate that i'll probably only put 500 miles on it.

Rockauto has champions/AC/DELCO PF454 filters closeout for $1.83 each but hearing champion filters are now poor quality ala "tearolators" ???, I do get a "hook up" at my local o'reilly's and can get any filter they carry for 20% above employe price.

I'm thinking WIX 51069 or microgard ???

Dave

How is that car driven and where do you store the car?

How often do you change the oil filter?

Personally I would buy a Fram ultra and leave it on for at least 2-3 years. It will be fine for that amount of time, unless you are racing or doing track events with that motor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JC1

Personally I would buy a Fram ultra and leave it on for at least 2-3 years. It will be fine for that amount of time, unless you are racing or doing track events with that motor.

+1

Originally Posted By: JC1

For a trans am, It's driven normally I don't go around "Spanking" it, I live in a small college town with cops on every corner :/, So those days were left behind in HS lol

For now I live in a apt complex so it's in a storage unit for safety/Security reasons, But I plan on moving into a house this summer so that will change lol

I change oil/filter about once a year

I checked and couldn't find a Fram UG part # or interchange for a 1982 trans am V8 ??? All rock auto showed was a HP8 and,HM30, TG30

Dave

Last edited:
I have an old Nova that is rarely driven in the summer. For me I usually put a Wix on but have used AC Delco also if I find one cheap. Mine is visible with the inline 6 so I put on what I feel good about looking at (or other people seeing) when under the hood. I won't put a Fram on it even though there is a tough guard on my Explorer right now. Still the image thing with buddies looking under the hood and the Fram stigma plus not worth spending more on a filter. I change the oil and filter every other year.

I can get Wix filters for less than $4 depending on size thru a work discount. Sounds like you have that option of discount Wix also. Nothing wrong with a Delco on cheap closeout for a car like yours either and for purists blue OE is nice. Really I doubt if it makes any difference on the filter for such low miles. Put on what you feel good about.

Hmmmm.....hopefully my hookup orileys guy is working today and ill ask how much he can do the WIX for. If he can do under $4 then WIX will be on the T/A from now on lol

Dave

I use the Wix 51069 on my caprice that gets 4-5k mile OCIs every 3 months through the winter. Driven less in the summer since it's a winter beater. I use the Wix mainly because it's easily available through the garage I work part time at still. And I don't like giving Ac Delco anymore money than I have to. They really need to stop making junk.

Originally Posted By: GMguy84
I checked and couldn't find a Fram UG part # or interchange for a 1982 trans am V8 ??? All rock auto showed was a HP8 and,HM30, TG30

Dave

Fram makes the XG30 which is the Ultra.

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
Leave the Mobil 1 on. Only 500 miles and you want to toss it?

Incorrect, Just want to shop around and stock up on filters when it COMES time to change oil/filter

Dave

Originally Posted By: CT8
Purolater is not a Champ product.

I knew that, I was just comparing the quality complaints on Champ lab products

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: GMguy84

Dave

Fram makes the XG30 which is the Ultra.

I can't find that filter anywhere ??, I looked on Amazon, Rockauto, Ebay

Update:

Just found it on Amazon apparently it's discontinued ??

"Amazon"
Fram
FRAM XG30S ULTRA Full-Flow Spin-On Oil Filter
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 customer reviews
Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
Designed for longer change intervals
70% more capacity versus leading competitors' average
Performs at 96% Single Pass Efficiency (SPE)
Synthetic blend media backed by a metal screen for uniform pleating, durability and optimum oil flow
Long-life silicone anti-drainback valve
› See more product details
Report incorrect product information.

Last edited:
Will the Fram XG5 fit? That is still in production and the only difference appears to be that it's about an inch taller and has an anti-drainback valve.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Will the Fram XG5 fit? That is still in production and the only difference appears to be that it's about an inch taller and has an anti-drainback valve.

Awesome thanks i'll have to check that out !! I can get case of 6 on ebay for $24 !!!

dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back