Teflon tape vs. paste

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used Teflon tape for many years. Keep it back a thread from the end of the fitting.

Discussed with coworkers. One mentioned a problem with Teflon tape, I think it was diesel injection systems, or some sort of hydraulic system. If you returned an item and Teflon tape was found inside - warranty void.

Could become a fan of the paste. Installing a water heater, I could not get one fitting to seal with Teflon tape. Just a tiny little bubble would form at the joint, and reappear when wiped off. I tried a couple of times. Then I used the Teflon paste and it sealed on the first try.

10 years ago I threw all my white Teflon tape and replaced everything with high quality yellow gas Teflon tape. It's the Lexus of Teflon tape. Why use cheap [censored] tape. The plumbers trick is use both tape and paste. Paste first then the tape. But using yellow gas tape fixes most issue you get when using tape.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mainia
10 years ago I threw all my white Teflon tape and replaced everything with high quality yellow gas Teflon tape. It's the Lexus of Teflon tape. Why use cheap [censored] tape. The plumbers trick is use both tape and paste. Paste first then the tape. But using yellow gas tape fixes most issue you get when using tape.

thumbsup2.gif
I failed to mention earlier I only use the yellow tape now.

I heard shreds of teflon tape can interfere with gas valving so the paste is preferred.

All the paste I've seen is pale blue. Both have worked in my little world.

I had a terrible time getting a replacement faucet to stop leaking from one of the threaded fittings with tape. Paste sealed it with no trouble.

I use both but for critical applications I use paste. The tape is good for a neat look. Tape has issues with tiny pieces getting into whatever you are sealing. No big deal on water connections.

Loctite Teflon paste 30561 is what I have. You can clean it and thin it with alcohol.

Paste. Easy to apply has always worked for me around the house and (auto repair years ago). Not to many threaded connection on new vehicles. Who knows some sensor may detect the odor of paste throw a code like P0000099999 and say use tape.

I used to work for a large chemical pump manufacturer and we provided pumps to all of the chemical producers around the globe. One of them had a name that started with "D" and forbid the use of teflon tape because it was invented/owned by a competitor of theirs. Had to use paste for their pumps.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA

Discussed with coworkers. One mentioned a problem with Teflon tape, I think it was diesel injection systems, or some sort of hydraulic system. If you returned an item and Teflon tape was found inside - warranty void.

Same in my business, tape will void the warranty if used on air fittings.

Originally Posted By: LotI
Originally Posted By: Rick in PA

Same in my business, tape will void the warranty if used on air fittings.

Ironically, I was talking with the guy at work who was installing the air lines to where the blast cabinets are going to be.

Blue Monster brand I believe in the paste form. Works with fuel, oils, gas etc. Good up to 400*F.

Last edited:
I almost always only use the paste. The only time I ever use tape is when there is threaded valve fitting and I need it to stop someplace where I can easily reach the valve knob and I needed the extra bulk of the tape.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
I'm drawing a blank on when either is needed in an automotive world.
confused.gif

The tape gets used a lot in my little automotive world, as an anti-seize, thread sealer, and lubricant supplement, especially on brakes.

I prefer the tape because I can get it. I don't know much about the paste because I can't.

Lately I substitute polythene for the general antiseize duty (for example, on wheel studs), but I still use PTFE on brakes, especially around the bleeder threads.

My caliper slider pins are silicon-greased and wrapped in PTFE tape, but I'm unsure if this is a great idea because of the slight risk that overheating could break it down and form fluoric acid, which isn't nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back