The Cuban Sandwich

Status
Not open for further replies.
If any of you know your history, Tampa was founded/settled by the Spanish. In 1885 Cuban immigrants settled a part of Tampa named Ybor City (pronounced E-BORE). Their main way of living was making cigars. When they got hungry they ate a sandwich named the Cuban. Some of the best Cubans are made in Ybor City. But, a few miles away from Ybor City, I found an old hole in the wall store named SWANN AVENUE MARKET. They make some of the BEST Cuban sandwiches in Tampa Bay. If you know anything about the Cuban, you can get it pressed, or not. I prefer mine pressed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_sandwich

https://foursquare.com/top-places/tampa/best-places-cuban-sandwiches

Can we not talk about food? Its getting late; I am rather hungry and the maid won't be here for another 8 hours. Sounds good right now though.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Can we not talk about food? Its getting late; I am rather hungry and the maid won't be here for another 8 hours. Sounds good right now though.

i hate when that happens.

I'm not sure it's still there, but I used to get Cubans from Luis Tiant's stand outside Fenway Park. Luis happened to be there one day and he signed my ticket, and as we parted I told him he should be in the HOF.
The guy I was with started arguing with me loudly that Tiant's career WAR was not high enough for the HOF and blah blah...well within earshot of Mr. Tiant. I was mortified!
Such a contrast between how kind and gracious Mr. Tiant was and how Dennis Eckersley treated us like excrement wearing clothes when we happened to run across him in the bowels of Fenway well before a game...we didn't even try to talk to the guy and he still acted like he was worried about stepping in us!

Cubans seem to always be sold pressed around here, they were a huge fad maybe 5 years ago and are a lot less popular now. I still like them!

Had Cuban Sandwiches on 9th Ave. in NYC. The best. Then the guy (Cuban?, couldn't tell you) moved to New Jersey.

Had Cuban Sandwiches in hulking, old Orioles Park in Miami during Spring training. Darn good for "stadium food" (which it wasn't).

CUBAN SANDWICH (big sign in window) place near my sister. Mouth watering, I go in and ask for one.
The kid behind the counter said, "Cuban sandwich???" and looked at me oddly.
Message to small business owners.....Don't leave the family retard behind the counter. It's not good for business.
I've seen it too often.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Had Cuban Sandwiches on 9th Ave. in NYC. The best. Then the guy (Cuban?, couldn't tell you) moved to New Jersey.

A friend took me for doner kebabs in SoHo, similar to and supposedly the inspiration for gyros. Sliced off conical stacks of meat slices like a real gyro, but the sauces and veggies were a lot different (no tzatziki). They were absolutely fantastic and I wanted to get more when I met him in NYC again the next year, but he told me there were new owners and they switched to the processed solid cones of meat that were common when we grew up near Chicago...those are still good, but not worth walking way across town for.

We also used to love to hang around a dive bar called Milady's, but that closed a few years back after many years in business. An article I found online said that the building owner refused to renew the lease even though the bar was quite successful, they wanted something a Stabbucks to move in and pay a much higher rent. Can't really blame the owner for wanting to make more money, but the article did lament the loss of many businesses with real local flavor in Manhattan that were being replaced by bland national chains.

I'm sure the locals can still find really good and interesting places to patronize, but NYC has become less of an attractive destination for us and we have met up in other cities lately.

Last edited:
I had a Cuban sandwich in St. Petersburg, FL. Forget the name of it but it was a nice restaurant located at the end of a pier. I think it was known as serving the first cuban sandwiches in the states. So kind of historical. It was good but not great from what I remember.

BlueOval,

I grew up in Tampa. My MIL and FIL still live in Valrico in the Strawberry Ridge retirement community. I fondly remember, as a treat when my parents could afford it, heading down to Ybor City to the Silver Ring for cuban sandwiches. At my age I can still smell the food along 7th Avenue. Do you remember the Seabreeze Restaraunt that was on 22nd St. heading south towards US Hwy 41. That used to be the place to go for deviled crabs. Great memories. Oh, I'll take a good cuban sandwich any way I can get it.

I love cuban sandwiches. I've had a few different ones around Ybor city. I also found a great one way out in the boondocks while mountain biking at Alafia River State Park. After a long day biking in the heat, I came across this place called Picnic Grocery. Little hole in the wall. Great Cuban. It's in Lithia, Florida, a little south of the park entrance.

Originally Posted By: Sierra048
BlueOval,

I grew up in Tampa. My MIL and FIL still live in Valrico in the Strawberry Ridge retirement community. I fondly remember, as a treat when my parents could afford it, heading down to Ybor City to the Silver Ring for cuban sandwiches. At my age I can still smell the food along 7th Avenue. Do you remember the Seabreeze Restaraunt that was on 22nd St. heading south towards US Hwy 41. That used to be the place to go for deviled crabs. Great memories. Oh, I'll take a good cuban sandwich any way I can get it.

OMG! I lived in Seffner for 25 years. And the SeaBreeze? That WAS the best seafood restaurant in Tampa. They could practically go out behind the restaurant and catch everything fresh.
Isn't STRAWBERRY RIDGE on Valrico Rd.?
Do you remember SHELLS? How about BABE'S PIZZA in Brandon? Do you remember when Hwy 60 was only 2 lanes coming into Brandon from Tampa? Now, it's 8 lanes in some spots.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
BlueOval,

OMG! I lived in Seffner for 25 years. And the SeaBreeze? That WAS the best seafood restaurant in Tampa. They could practically go out behind the restaurant and catch everything fresh.
Do you remember SHELLS? How about BABE'S PIZZA in Brandon? Do you remember when Hwy 60 was only 2 lanes coming into Brandon from Tampa? Now, it's 8 lanes in some spots.

My wife grew up in Riverview and the last time we were out there she was freakin' over 60.

Man, you are making me hungry. First, I'm headed to a local deli for lunch and now it has to be a Cuban.

Second, I miss the Doner Kebab Imbiss (fast food stand) in Germany. Seems the Turkish immigrants in Germany want a slice of home!

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: Kira

A friend took me for doner kebabs in SoHo, similar to and supposedly the inspiration for gyros. Sliced off conical stacks of meat slices like a real gyro, but the sauces and veggies were a lot different (no tzatziki). They were absolutely fantastic and I wanted to get more when I met him in NYC again the next year, but he told me there were new owners and they switched to the processed solid cones of meat that were common when we grew up near Chicago...those are still good, but not worth walking way across town for.

We also used to love to hang around a dive bar called Milady's, but that closed a few years back after many years in business. An article I found online said that the building owner refused to renew the lease even though the bar was quite successful, they wanted something a Stabbucks to move in and pay a much higher rent. Can't really blame the owner for wanting to make more money, but the article did lament the loss of many businesses with real local flavor in Manhattan that were being replaced by bland national chains.

I'm sure the locals can still find really good and interesting places to patronize, but NYC has become less of an attractive destination for us and we have met up in other cities lately.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer

My wife grew up in Riverview and the last time we were out there she was freakin' over 60.

The first few times I read this post, I wasn't considering the context (Hwy 60).

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: NYEngineer

The first few times I read this post, I wasn't considering the context (Hwy 60).

Yeah. Sorry. That's what I meant.

I love Cuban SW too but can't say I've ever had a REAL one. Only been to far South Fla once. I've made my own and it was good & pressed, but not sure how it measures up to THE REAL THING. I also like panni SW. Similar.

Far too much hipster-hamster food here along with mild, watered down salsa....

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I love Cuban SW too but can't say I've ever had a REAL one. Only been to far South Fla once. I've made my own and it was good & pressed, but not sure how it measures up to THE REAL THING. I also like panni SW. Similar.

Far too much hipster-hamster food here along with mild, watered down salsa....

I've eaten one by mistake commuting into Chicago:
I stopped at a small cafe where the cabbies gathered, and surprise: they had good coffee and freshly made sandwiches.
The owners talked a different kind of spanish, and I realized they where of Cuban descent.

Must say it it was different than anything I eaten as of that time...
Not my tea-cup, but flavorful.

BlueOval,

Ah yes. Hwy 60. Remember it well. My first wife's parents lived off of Parsons Ave. and I spent a lot of time in the early 70s out in that area. Now I say a quick prayer when I drive it going to see my inlaws. Actually my FIL totaled his vehicle two years ago on Hwy 60. He's lucky to be alive. Wasn't Babe's the Pizza place right on Hwy 60 at the corner or eithet Parson's or Kingsway? I think you're referring to Shell's Seafood, right? I messed up many a table there eating crabs and shrimp. Strawberry Ridge is on the south side of Hwy 60 between Mulrennan and S. Dover Rd. And speaking of the Seabreeze, our biggest treat was getting deviled crabs and drinks and sitting in our car outside of the restaraunt watching the shrimp and fishing boats. When did you leave Florida?

Last edited:
BlueOval,

Ah yes. Hwy 60. Remember it well. My first wife's parents lived off of Parsons Ave. and I spent a lot of time in the early 70s out in that area. Now I say a quick prayer when I drive it going to see my inlaws. Actually my FIL totaled his vehicle two years ago on Hwy 60. He's lucky to be alive. Wasn't Babe's the Pizza place right on Hwy 60 at the corner or eithet Parson's or Kingsway? I think you're referring to Shell's Seafood, right? I messed up many a table there eating crabs and shrimp. Strawberry Ridge is on the south side of Hwy 60 between Mulrennan and S. Dover Rd. And speaking of the Seabreeze, our biggest treat was getting deviled crabs and drinks and sitting in our car outside of the restaraunt watching the shrimp and fishing boats. When did you leave Florida?

I moved back to La. in 2012. I lived in Seffner for 25 years, between MLK and Hwy. 92. I coached baseball at East Point LL for 9 years. I was a board member 7 of those years. I lived behind WM, which is called the Fruit Bowl. All of the streets are named after fruits. I lived on Peach Ave.
There was a pond in Dover Park that was fed by fish feeders. My son and I fished there quite often. We would keep the pan fish and throw the bass back.
Do you remember PARKSDALE FARMS on 92? They had the BIGGEST Strawberry shortcake in the world. I called that place SNOWBIRD HAVEN. Where else besides there could you buy a flat of strawberries for $5! NO WHERE!

Back in the 90's my youngest son was on an all-star team from Lutz LL. Can't remember if it was LL or Senior league. I believe we actually played at East Point for a tournament. Sorry, getting old and my memory isn't what it used to be. Maybe you remember. And yes, very familiar with Parksdale Farms. As a child my parents would take us and we would go pick our own strawberries. Same with tomatoes and veggies in Ruskin. Thanks for taking me back to some memorable times. Other than driving through Louisianna as an infant with my parents, I've never really been there. And as to Valrico/Brandon, once my elderly in-laws pass, I'll probably never get further east than Garden of Memories, were my parents are interred.

I live in Riverview. It's for sure not food paradise but it does have some great mom and pop cuban food places.

A lot of the older places that used to be great now seem ho hum. Brocatos, silver ring etc. Thankfully the smaller places are picking up the slack. I used to go to carmines in ybor all the time but lately they have been a fail. Seabreze was the bomb but sadly those days are gone. Never was a fan of babes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back