Classwork, Homework, and Exam

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter swears this is accurate...and having seen it, it's not reaaly THAT far off the mark.

classwork-3-x-8-yoo-bro-homework-y-1-2x-3-y-64-8248958.png

If you want to get an understanding of how much energy the sun puts out calculate the area of a circle with a radius the same as earth, and then calculate the area of a sphere with a radius of the orbital radius of the earth, then calculate what the fraction of the area of the earth vs the area of the orbital shpere is.

It comes out to about 1 / 2,000,000,000 in other words about one twobillionth of the energy put out by the sun strikes the earth.

This is her third year with the same math teacher...only supposed to have 2 max, but he's the head, so gets his way.

I've seen the class notes, and the jump to the homework.

Clown marks her down if she uses any other way than the way that he teaches to do something (and often there's 3 or 4 techniques that can be used validly).

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Clown marks her down if she uses any other way than the way that he teaches to do something (and often there's 3 or 4 techniques that can be used validly).

...reminds me of one of my most remembered math teachers.
His favorite saying was "there's more than one way to skin a cat"
crazy2.gif

But he was correct tho. And was willing to see others' way when doing proofs.

Is that like the old joke about the butcher who has a size 7 1/2 hat and size 10 shoes, what does he weigh?

Also I used to like how textbooks always used to say that the calculation is trivial and is left as an exercise for the student.

I remember a philosophy teacher giving us homework once where we had to create a proof, previous ones usually took just 10-15 minutes to do, but none of us got it and gave up after an hour or so. Turned out he pulled a fast one and the proof was actually that it couldn't be proven to be true.

And the butcher weighs meat.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
...reminds me of one of my most remembered math teachers.
His favorite saying was "there's more than one way to skin a cat"
crazy2.gif

But he was correct tho. And was willing to see others' way when doing proofs.

3rd year university, doing FEA (manually, via calculus and matrix inversion), I was failed. The guy was an expat Brit, and used a sign convention that was NOT the standard of the schools of mech engineering in Oz. He expected us all to spin our heads around for his subject only.

I got 4 out of 4 right, but got 10%, as he didn't approve of my working, using the standard X, Y, Z, axes.

Dean intervened at my request and I aced it...hmmm.

In a college class we complained to one professor about his difficult tests and how they messed up our grades. So, he let us make up the next test. We killed ourselves. No ne passed.

This is her third year with the same math teacher...only supposed to have 2 max, but he's the head, so gets his way.

Imagine what he's like as a father or husband..... My kids complain about teachers like that. I said those teachers are there to teach you about life (learning to deal with difficult people).

Originally Posted By: JC1
Imagine what he's like as a father or husband..... My kids complain about teachers like that. I said those teachers are there to teach you about life (learning to deal with difficult people).

Disowned and kicked out of home 2 daughters.

You are correct on the last part.

My last math class was college algebra back in 1979. I was not a fan of math and had it not been required I would certainly never taken it. My math teachers in HS and at college knew math inside and out but as far as teaching it to someone who was struggling... they were not good at that, However despite poor teachers the math textbooks back then had examples for every single problem. My daughter is a SR now and is in AP Calculus now, but I remember looking at her freshman algebra text and there would be one or 2 examples and then a bunch of problems that were nothing like the examples. It caused many students to dislike math. Back When I was a kid there was a math textbook. Even when a teacher was bad,you could pass by just doing the textbook problems as for almost every problem there was an example that related to it and broke it down step by step.A big problem in my opinion is that the math textbooks used today are are confusing kids rather than teaching them. Then colleges end up having to teach non credit remedial math that quite frankly should have been mastered in HS. I suspect today will be yet another day when I will not use algebra.Last time I solved for X and wondered Y was probably back in 1979.

This is exactly how my chemistry and calculus courses were. Glad they are done and over with.

My daughter swears this is accurate...and having seen it, it's not reaaly THAT far off the mark.

classwork-3-x-8-yoo-bro-homework-y-1-2x-3-y-64-8248958.png

My second semester of Chem in college was that way. I stopped going to lecture and just checked out copies of previous year exams at the library. I got better test scores by NOT going to Chem lecture than by going....

I had a similar experience in high school. I've always been excellent at math, and in Jr. High and High School, I ended up 3-years ahead in math. Had the head of the math department (Mr.Martin) for Advanced Algebra when I was a Freshman.. and he was very specific, just like the teach you mentioned. I could do the math in my head, and when he would give us tests, he left the right 1/4 of the page blank to write our work. I always just wrote down answers and turned the tests in. Even though I got them all right, he always marked me down substantially for not showing work. I just didn't feel it was necessary.

Later, in my soph year, he decided that he was going to have me moved out of the AP math classes into the 'normal' ones.. I guess to prove a point or teach me some kind of lesson.. who knows. Anyways, one day, in Trigonometry class, the teacher was out and the substitute was clueless.. so I ended up at the chalkboard just sort of teaching the lessons. When the teacher got back and the class told him what happened, he got a bunch of the other teachers together for a meeting with Mr. Martin.. the next week, I was back in AP.

I just don't get how some teachers figure that since they're the head of the dept. they can just do that kind of thing to their students.

I agree, some textbooks are terrible, they seem to assume that you are already an expert in the field. Why would I take that class if I have already mastered the subject? And despite being so useless, they are very expensive! It is a pity that such teachers and textbooks could make us dislike school so much when we were young.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back