6.7 PS..CenPeCo 15w-40 Dino..first UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014 F350 PowerStroke. Bought used with 39,000.. This was my 3rd oil change.
I had 3000 miles on the oil, no towing or hauling,mixed driving/city highway.
The Lab results are from ALS Tribology,

Metals,

Iron.................9
Chromium............ Lead................ Copper.............. Tin................. Aluminum.............4
Nickel.............. Silver.............. Titanium............ Vanadium............
Contaminants,

Silicon...............10
Sodium.................4
Potassium..............3
Water................. Coolant.................No

Additives,

Magnesium...............201
Calcium.................2706
Barium...................74
Phosphorus..............1068
Zinc.....................1254
Molybdenum............... Boron.....................35

Viscosity..................14.4
Fuel (%)................... Soot (%)....................0.2

Acid Number.................3.00
Base Number..................9.2

Of course it looks fine, at only 3,000 mi. any properly specced HDEO would look fine. Just curious what did your IOLM say at the time of sampling?

Originally Posted By: Bugize
IOLM ??? I'm new at this stuff

Intelligent Oil Life Monitor

Thanks for sharing. It's neat to see a different oil. roadrunner1 has a string of UOAs showing the oil condition after running it until the IOLM says to change it. It really does seem to work well. Check out his thread when you get a chance. Just below your UOA at the moment.

Cenpeco is always displayed on the "lead sled" at truck/tractor pulls at our county fairs, but I never see it around the area stores so I haven't used it.

Nice UOA. Nothing untoward here, but that's as it should be.
You could easily double (actually triple) that OCI.
Use the IOLM at a minimum.

Last edited:
Oh, Thx for the input. Well....the reason I changed it @ 3000 miles was because the IOLM told me to, and that's because I think I forgot to re-set after the change before this one. I think the manual says 7500 miles or so? I do have to check that now btw. I only put on about 10-12 grand a year so I am now just going to change oil in the spring,then in the fall...using Cen Pe Co 5-40 Synthetic.
Its been around up here for years,guys using it in heavy equipment and so forth,now a few shops in the area are carrying it.
An old friend of mine is in charge of maintainence for a school district and he swapped all the school buses over to this oil and changing it every 12000 miles,having it tested,and all reports come back great.

Is that oil priced reasonably up there? Also, what oil analysis kit did you buy? I see that you got TAN tested as well so wondering how you got that. I've sent many samples to ALS with NAPA, WIX and Delvac Accutrack kits, but none of them have given the acid number. Request it and pay extra?

I had my shop take the sample right in front of me, they get the kits from the local Cenpeco Rep,and he fills them out and sends them in to the lab at the cost of 25$... I will check the price of the oil today and try to get more detailed info on the UOA kit as I also want to start sending my bike oil out for testing.

Ok...the price I pay here for 5-40 synthetic is 8.50 per qt. I just got off the phone with the local Rep for Cenpeco, he told me that the lab test is normally like 40$,that includes everything....the lab is ALS tribology.
He will drop off my test kits here at my house as he lives only a few miles away,then I send them in and he gets the results and emails them to me.
If you give me your zip code...he will look up a dealer near you,he said they have them all over N.Y.

Thanks Bugize, I was mostly just curious about their prices. I didn't realize (although I should have) that CenPeCo operated like Schaeffer and Amsoil with the sales reps and such. Nothing wrong with it, I just didn't know.

That price for the UOA kit is a bit on the high side. You got the acid number but otherwise, it's the same info as a $15 ALS kit from NAPA. The acid number is nice but I no longer see it as necessary. Detroit Diesel doesn't mention (that i can recall at the moment) anything about the business of TAN overtaking the TBN. They only say that the oil should be changed when TBN drops to 1/3 of the virgin TBN. Anyway, if $40 is the price you pay, you may consider NAPA, Polaris or whatever.

I don't need their HDEO, but I will consider CenPeCo's gear oils. I get the oil changed in my Detroit down in Dallas, TX for less than I could do it at home. I'm hoping to get the diff oils changed in my pickup truck soon, though. I'll look up a sales rep if I decide to buy from Cenpeco, but no decision yet. I do appreciate your offer to help find a rep in my area, though. Thanks.

Hey, glad to help anyway I can,if I go through the area rep I only pay 25$....plus he will also let me do my bike oil UOA....and after talking to him today, I may switch my bike over to their 20-50 racing oil as it has 2400 ppm zinc,where as the mobile 1 v-twin I just switched to,has 1700ppm.
Probably could also do a net search of local distributors as well?? Take care!

Nice report, but you are going to have to run that oil a lot longer to get your money out of it. I'd rather use the 5w-40 and change it once per year than change it early just to change to 15w-40.

As for the cost of the UOA, it does seem a bit high considering the cost of the oil itself. Perhaps if the oil is purchased in larger quantities they include some testing kits? Schaeffer Oil Co. does that, they will give you some UOA kits with every drum of oil. Texas Refinery will provide (at no extra charge) you as many UOA kits as you need, as long as it is for testing their oil.

Quote:
I was mostly just curious about their prices. I didn't realize (although I should have) that CenPeCo operated like Schaeffer and Amsoil with the sales reps and such. Nothing wrong with it, I just didn't know.

From what I remember, Cenpeco uses a different distribution model. When we used to buy their products it was usually some guy in a pickup truck that delivered them, rather than a regular freight carrier. Schaeffer & TRC will just ship you whatever you want via LTL freight, regardless of if there is a rep. in your area. Not sure about AMSOIL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back