Volvo Safety - Do You Still Get What You Pay For?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the 70"s, 80's and 90's many of you may remember many of the old Volvo safety ads. Such as the ones with 7 Volvos stacked on each other (demonstrating roof strength), Volvos being pushed from roof tops onto the road ( with the passenger cage area intact). Very entertaining. A more robust build sedan than what domestic manufacturers offered at the time, no doubt.

However today, I was wondering if many of you think, you get a more robust constructed Volvo sedan, as compared to a similar sized Malibu or Fusion? In other words, in the event of a crash with a full sized pickup or SUV, would your survival odds be better today in a Volvo? Especially now that Volvo is now under Chinese ownership. Have you witnessed anything that would convince your opinion.

I think your paying more for the premium features and quality materials than you are safety, they are safe though. No doubt.

My wife used to drive a Volvo XC90. The interior was good quality. The seats were exceptional. Very comfortable on long drives. We never wrecked it, so hard to say about the safety aspect.

It probably had about 125,000 miles on it when she decided to sell it and get a convertible. Front axle had to be replaced. There were one or two other significant repairs, otherwise just scheduled maintenance.

I would probably never buy a Volvo just because the Chinese own it. I have enough Made in China and owned by China [censored] as it is.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
I would probably never buy a Volvo just because the Chinese own it. I have enough Made in China and owned by China [censored] as it is.

With Ford and GovMo assembling certain models in China it’s going to get harder to choose. Also China’s automakers want to sell in the US. Sooner or later.

Do you still get what you pay for?
hmmm. Good question

The safety aspect can be real or perceived, as long as the owner is happy with the product at the end of the day, that (to me) is all that matters.

I'd give anything for a peugeot 206. Maybe Glock should make a car. Durable,reliable, assembly in Georgia and non union!! Even Tonka would do or Caterpillar. We just need good affordable products.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a 96 Volvo Turbo Wagon that my wife drove and had a terrible accident. She came away unhurt and the car ended up in seveal pieced but the passenger area remained intact.

LINK

Ford didnt do so good with volvo and GM did crasch Saab to its death. Atleast chinase Geely know what they are doing. And now Daimler wants to buy a little sheer off Volvo.

Originally Posted By: Bjornviken
Ford didnt do so good with volvo and GM did crasch Saab to its death. Atleast chinase Geely know what they are doing. And now Daimler wants to buy a little sheer off Volvo.

The XC90 was 100% Ford and so was the XC70 which was just as safe.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta

With Ford and GovMo assembling certain models in China it’s going to get harder to choose. Also China’s automakers want to sell in the US. Sooner or later.

Sooner. Buick Envision.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Originally Posted By: Bjornviken

The XC90 was 100% Ford and so was the XC70 which was just as safe.

Not 100% here in EU.

With cars being safer today does one get all the "safety" one pays for with a Volvo?

"Neighbor" (to whom I sold my sister's Jeep) had a working XC-70 (2005ish) lying idle. It was dead Dad's old car.
Wifey drove an XC-90 and survived a super-severe crash.
She obviously needed a car. I meekly suggested the underused XC-70.
She said, "It had to be an XC-90". She affirmed it was due to the 90's added height.
I suggested the 70 being put back on the road would sell real fast and that she'd get more money to put toward a replacement 90.
Smart, no?

I've seen her in a 90 and the XC-70 sits aside the house. The house needs a paint job in the worst way. It's easily the eyesore of the block.

People do like ride height. I've seen it too many times.

Owned one and a maintenance nightmare, never even looked at another one since then.

Local Hyundai dealer is also a Volvo dealer, same repair shop. Spoke with salespeople about the China ownership. Although they denied any Volvo's being assembled in China (they are wrong and I think they knew it but did not want to inform anyone of this) and definitely feared that sales would drop with a Chinese ownership. Profits to China etc, people's perception of a now inferior product. At least for me I would never own another one and the China connection just put another nail in that coffin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back