Is Quaker State a dying brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found out today that advance auto parts no longer carries quaker state oil.

That means the 4 national auto parts houses have dropped the brand - NAPA, O'Reilly, AutoZone, and Advance. Not a hint of it on their sites.

Is Shell slowly letting the Quaker State brand die?

Not sure, they seem to have a killer deal on Quaker State full synthetic at Walmart. It's almost always $21 for a 5 quart jug.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Not sure, they seem to have a killer deal on Quaker State full synthetic at Walmart. It's almost always $21 for a 5 quart jug.

Same price as Valvoline, so why bother with Quaker State? Ick.

Last edited:
when at WM the other day PYB was barely on the shelf at $17.96, while QS was priced around $13, as I recall...

Seems like a downmarket product.

4 major parts stores may be dropping it, but that may be in favor of their own downmarket products.

As more distinct viscosities need to be sold to cover the market, shelf space for more of the same becomes difficult.

Maybe people have realized it's no longer made from Pennsylvania crude.

Ultimate Durability has become scarce in local Walmarts this year. No $7 per 5 quart rebate on it this year either, as far as I've seen, although Pennzoil Platinum still has its $10.

Under $20 at my WM and have been using the full syn 0-20 for my last 5 oil changes and like it better than the Mobil 1

Yes, I think QS is a dying brand. Which is really a shame, they sell a great product at a good price. I still have a few gallons in my garage from a few years ago when QSUD was $1/qt at AZ.

If you look at the oil shelves over the last few years, each brand has really been expanding their presence. On the shelf at Meijer they carry Mobil, Valvoline, Pennzoil, QS and AutoQuest. The largest of the two sections belonging to Valvoline and Mobil. It could potentially make sense for SOPUS to phase out QS in order to expand Pennzoil's presence on the shelf. QS in a feed/supply store would be much better positioned to compete against the typical bunch Peak, Citgo, house brand and oddly enough Amsoil.

Hopefully it's not a dying brand. Used a bunch of it in my Cruze and liked it. Bought some 0w20 recently for the CRV for $20 rather than messing with Pennzoil rebate.

Me too. When I lived in the Great Lakes area I stockpiled QSUD when Menard's would put it on sale for $2.99 / qt and SOPUS had $2 / qt rebate. Also when WM had it on special on-line price and SOPUS rebate of $7 /jug. It's the bulk of my stash. With NOACK of 9.6% in 0W-20 & 9.0% in 5W-20 plus all the other goodies, what's not to like?

Speaking as a marketing guy, I would say that both Quaker State and Penzoil brands have a limited life expectancy, but Quaker State will die first. Have a look at the definition of Viscosity Index and you will see why these brand names have value. Now that neither is made from Pennsylvania crude oil, that value is diminishing rapidly. Pretty soon anyone who understood the original value will be gone.

The world is getting to be a smaller and smaller place from an information perspective. There is no need for SOPUS to maintain a brand that has limited exposure or negative impressions in other world markets.

Does it get advertised much anymore? Seems Pennzoil gets the attention. If it doesn’t sell well enough then stores get rid of it just like Mobil Super. With all the brands of oil plus the product lines each brand pushes out there are bound to be some sales laggards. Stores these days are quick to winnow out the slow movers to make room for fast movers. They measure shelf area by sales $$ per foot.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

QSUD is $19.97 at my Walmart everyday price and Valvoline is $21.97 on Rollback. I'd pick the cheaper of those two oil. I just took QSUD out of the car on 2-8-18 and replaced it with Valvoline full Synthetic with Max Life.

Last edited:
My Elantra owner's manual says Hyundai recommends Quaker State. Hyundai seems to think it will be around for a while.

Was just thinking of Quaker State with Slick 50 today. That alone should put one nail in the Quaker State brand name coffin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back