Slight shift flare when cold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fusion in my signature.

When I first start driving in the morning, when I leave the neighborhood and accelerate to 40 I sometimes get a bit of shift flare between either 2-3 or 3-4. I wasn’t paying close attention this morning so I’ll update when I figure it out.

Never does it after it’s been driven a few miles. Should I be concerned or just put it down to some wear and tear?

Fluid is reasonably fresh, I did a drain and fill about 15-20k ago. I bought a case so I’ve got enough left in the garage to do another drain and fill.

Which trans does that have? The 6F50? If so, I've noticed cold shift flare on a lot of those. It doesn't seem to be a huge deal as long as you take it easy until the fluid warms up.

Had the same issue on my Focus, pretty much right after I bought it new. Dealer replaced a seal. Said when it was cold it might do that. That worked for 30,000 miles and then it returned but only on the first set of shifts. 215,000 miles later my daughter still drives it and knows to take it easy on the first set of shifts. I think the seal expands and the flare goes away. Just change the fluid every 30,000 and drive the wheels off of it.

My 6F35 started getting the cold flare when the fluid was getting used up. I did a 3x D/F/D with Amsoil ATL, then reset the computer after it. The shifts had gotten slightly better each fluid change, but after all the fluid was new and then reset the fuzzy shift logic it shifted like new.

My vote for a quick fix, make sure the fluid level is full, pull the battery cables off for about 10-15 minutes, and plug it back in. This should help some, and if it doesn't, at least drain one pan-full and replace it with new fluid.

You may want to check for software updates And/Or Reset the Shift Adapts followed with a "Fast-Learn".

The Reset will force the Shift Adapts to be more active & may cure a "Long Shift Cold" issue.....Just know it will shift kinda weird 'til it's fully "Learned".

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Isn't this a very common issue with that gen Fusion?

Could be. This is only forum I hang out on regularly so if I don’t get good info here then I’ll start googling.
It only happens when it’s stone cold. I’ll probably end up doing a drain and fill and keep driving.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Fusion in my signature.

When I first start driving in the morning, when I leave the neighborhood and accelerate to 40 I sometimes get a bit of shift flare between either 2-3 or 3-4. I wasn’t paying close attention this morning so I’ll update when I figure it out.

Never does it after it’s been driven a few miles. Should I be concerned or just put it down to some wear and tear?

Fluid is reasonably fresh, I did a drain and fill about 15-20k ago. I bought a case so I’ve got enough left in the garage to do another drain and fill.

What's interesting is that I believe the 6F35 and the GM version the 6T60E are the 6 speeds that GM and Ford collaborated on. Although the design is largely the same both companies spec their own internal components, computer control software, and of course programming. I used to own a 2009 malibu V6 with the 6T60E and I would experience flare on cold 2-3 shifts when the transmission got some miles on it as well. The stupid transmission is why I dumped that particular car.

This is the main reason why we didn't buy a Fusion. All of the transmissions had this issue. See if there is a TSB or update.

My parents' 13 Escape had the shift flare when cold. But it always seemed to work. They weren't concerned about it apparently, they bought a 18

Forgive my ignorance, but is "shift flare" when shifting to the next higher gear it momentarily increases in rpm's before dropping the rpm's in the higher gear it just shifted into?

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Forgive my ignorance, but is "shift flare" when shifting to the next higher gear it momentarily increases in rpm's before dropping the rpm's in the higher gear it just shifted into?

Whimsey

Exactly. Slow clutch engagement

Didn’t do it this morning. At 177k it’s entitled to a few aches and pains. I’m not easy on cars

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back