mismatched appliances

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're building a new house, and the builder uses Whirlpool appliances. We'll still need a fridge and washer & dryer. Does it bug you to have appliances from different manufacturers? I've had good luck with Whirlpool previously, but I'm not set on the fridge matching the stove and dishwasher. The washer & dryer are at the opposite end of the house so I don't suppose that matters at all.

Thoughts?

Not in the slightest. Our kitchen currently has a 25 yr old GE oven (black tint), a Jenn Air cooktop, Bosch diswasher and Maytag refrigerator (all stainless). Intend to change out the oven when it fails to stainless, but the brand is negotiable.

Washer and dryer are both Whirlpool, quite by accident and best deals at the time of replacement.

Not as long as they are the same color and the handles are a close match. All mine are stainless.

Frigidaire Microwave
Frigidaire Range
Kitchen Aid Refrigerator
Kitchen Aid Dishwasher

Shave the badges like they do on cars
laugh.gif

Different brands are OK with me if there's not so much of a design clash that you notice the aesthetic. My late mom's place has a stainless steel/black Samsung range with a small 15 year old white LG fridge that doesn't fill the cabinet hole area for the fridge. IMO, this space is more noticeable than the brand clash or if stainless and white don't go together.

My take is that if there's a highly rated product that's known as being a particularly good model / line then it could work to your advantage with them not matching on the strictest brand/model terms. My place has matching white Kenmore units that were new and I inherited when I bought it...they're probably there until they die or if I move.

only by color and kind of form....
mismatched for me would be: fridge black, micro white, stove egg/light gray, bar fridge retro-red....

I would find out the models the builder uses and go check the reviews to see any problem with specific model.....

I would be more interested in :
-dishwasher: installed on top of floor, not in a "cave"...easier down the road at replacement time...
-washer: have under-pan piped into drain
-fridge: the water setup (just so you don't get a flood in 5 years from cheap plastic connectors)

P.S. no bar fridge? What about your family reunions? are you going dry?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman
Nope. Mismatched is fine. I like mine old and worn out too.

I take it you haven't got the "The Organic Vanilla Almond Milk just SPOILED" look yet, didn't you?

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Not as long as they are the same color and the handles are a close match. All mine are stainless.

Frigidaire Microwave
Frigidaire Range
Kitchen Aid Refrigerator
Kitchen Aid Dishwasher

Yip!

W&D doesn't matter but I'd match the refrigerator. If I had one from the old house I was bringing, I wouldn't bother but if I was buying one anyway why not? The handles and display colors are all different from manufacturer to manufacturer.

the only consideration maybe if you get a manufacturers discount by buying multiple items.

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
We're building a new house, and the builder uses Whirlpool appliances. We'll still need a fridge and washer & dryer. Does it bug you to have appliances from different manufacturers? I've had good luck with Whirlpool previously, but I'm not set on the fridge matching the stove and dishwasher. The washer & dryer are at the opposite end of the house so I don't suppose that matters at all.

Thoughts?

In the end it's all what matters to you.

If I was having a new home built, I would much prefer to have it looked like I had an organized plan. The kitchen will be the first thing ladies will look at when they come to inspect your new house. If several hundred on top of a new home is not the issue then get matched appliances. JMO. Ed

We bought our first home 8 months ago. It came with all appliances, however the stovetop did not work, and the washer and dryer were pretty old. We ended up getting all new Whirlpool appliances except for the dishwasher. It isn't that old, and since it is the same color as all the new Whirlpool appliances we ended up keeping it. Of course when it goes out we plan on replacing it with a Whirlpool.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: CincyDavid

Thoughts?

In the end it's all what matters to you.

Wait a minute BOF...
forget the shinny appliances and tell us from your experience as a master plumber what would count on a builder house.
Merci beaucoup Mon Ami!

The Homes and Garden RULE IS: The appliances must match in each room. if your washer is in the kitchen, then it needs to match range and refrigerator.

THIS IS THE RULE OF THUMB, you can mix and match colors, in separate rooms, but YOU MUST STICK to a theme in each room or you have violated style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back