on the job drinking

Status
Not open for further replies.
The doctor picked to become head of the VA has been criticized for excessive on the job drinking.

So some on the job drinking is fine as long as you do not drink too much then its labeled excessive?

It depends on the job.

if you were a brewmaster or a distillery owner or a vintner, you could be passed over for insufficient on the job drinking.

Sometimes when markets are bad...drinking is a must...ah...just kidding. For the record, I have never drank on any job I've had...maybe I'm missing out? Were talking about alchohol...right?

Last edited:
When I was doing accounting at my last job, one year around Christmas I tried spiking my eggnog with some spiced rum I brought from home.
I literally had less than a shot of the stuff, and NONE of my numbers would balance!
Repeatedly I had to do things over and over again until I got them right (usually the first time was all it took).

Needless to say, after that I made sure all my important tasks were done (mostly numbers) BEFORE I had a drink on the job!
beer3.gif

At a previous office job, it was well known that many of the secretaries would go to the local bar for lunch and you could smell it when you got on the elevator. I guess they got used to having 2 or 3 drinks during lunch but some of them had been there for years so I guess it didn't really affect them. We always used to joke about their liquid lunches.

At other jobs we have had wine and cheese parties friday after work in the office or beer parties. It never really got out of hand. Those were smaller companies which could be more lax not big heavy corporate types.

A company I worked at for a long time would allowing drinking at quarterly parties/profit sharing announcements. If you were at the HQ, you got to enjoy a huge spread and a large open bar...I happened to be there for it twice and they were great days. We tried a variety of things in our small office and eventually had to drop the whole celebration because we couldn't behave ourselves. I'm ashamed to say that I was the #1 reason we had to stop holding the parties in our conference room, then we tried going to nearby restaurants and got banned from a couple.

Before we became part of Oracle, we would have office beer parties. Now, not so much. No one got out of hand and no one was going to visit a customer.

I limit my drinking to maybe a beer with my lunch on my birthday. Customers are not keen on their Field Engineers showing up with alcohol on the breath, not to mention driving to customer sites, etc.

When I was in the Army, I did get assigned as part of the detail to go to the Officers/Community club and visit with the visiting Soviet inspectors who were doing their part for Mother Russia during the INF treaty days.

I don't think my drinks were as strong as theirs. Imagine that
smile.gif

People that drink at the job are 100% LOSERS (except those in the alcohol testing/manufacturing trade and other similar jobs)

Your such a drunk that you cant go 8 hours without a cocktail in your hand? Losers. All of them.

Why don't you tell us how you really feel, Bubba...
cheers3.gif

In all seriousness, though, I can relate, to a degree. I have a personal policy that I never drink when I'm considered "on the job" even when I'm working from home and it's lunchtime, or if I go out to lunch with my teammates at work.

.. with a couple exceptions. There have been a few occasions where my boss has taken the whole team out for a team lunch, or on a 'teambuilding trip'.. and has sprung for drinks. I figure, if he's paying for them, and thus has provided company sanction, then it's okay, as long as it's within reason.

Also, the company I work for has a pretty cool 'company culture' thing they do on one Thursday every month - they hold a "happy hour" event in the main break room where they provide beer and wine, as well as snacks like cheese trays, etc.. The idea is that we, as company employees, come together to socialize in order to keep morale up and build intra-company communications, etc.. Most of the employees seem to enjoy it, and I think it helps keep people and teams engaged with one-another.

Aside from that, I never drink on the job.

Nope! Absolutely no reason to drink at work. I know of guys that drink at work in the afternoon. Imo that's very unprofessional. I guess the fact that I don't drink alcohol are my reasons.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
People that drink at the job are 100% LOSERS (except those in the alcohol testing/manufacturing trade and other similar jobs)

Your such a drunk that you cant go 8 hours without a cocktail in your hand? Losers. All of them.
I agree!

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
I always drank on the job 8 to 10 cups of coffee a day!

So in other words you were legally intoxicated.

Work mishap sent me to the emergency room and when they asked if I had been drinking. I answered "NO", which was true.

The admissions nurse looked at me and asked, "REALLY?" I affirmed my answer and asked to be tested right there and then to establish the fact.

'Twas nothing heavy nor combatant on my part. The subject was broached.

She said it wasn't necessary and I didn't have anything to say.

I wonder if it's a good idea to ask for such a test under ER circumstances?

Back when we were Govt owned, two guys were found with a longneck (750ml beer) that they were sharing over lunch. Unions were happy to let them face the full force. Similarly a team leader took his team to a pub for a send off, and was performance managed out of the business.

Random D and A, 0.02 limit, and policy of no alcohol consumption during work hours...fair enough, this stuff can kill you.

Head Office still had stocked executive bars.

Privatised, and head office still had stocked bars, and a culture of liquid lunches.

New MD saw the power stations, and moved the policy to Corporate.

I agree with bubba...even if it was allowed, there's no place for it.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
I always drank on the job 8 to 10 cups of coffee a day!

Same here. Since retired only 3 a day.

We only know what the guy is said to have done.
We don't know that he actually did it.
One of the dirty little secrets of every workplace is that some people may drink a bit while at work.
Most of us know who they are and as long as they remain competent and functional nobody really remarks upon it.
Drinking alcohol is a part of our culture as it is in many others.
As long as people separate their consumption from serious work, there is no problem.
When coworkers and subordinates comment upon someone's drinking, then there is a problem that must be addressed.
That would be my definition of excessive drinking.
In any event, as I wrote above, we have only anonymous reports that this nominee drank at work and we need a bit more than that before condemning him.

+1 bubbatime. If you have a career and don't want to lose it then don't drink alcohol on the job or come to work under the influence. Ed in AA

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back