New Ford Coyote Crate Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm putting a new Ford Coyote 5.0 liter 435 hp crate engine in my 1968 Ford XL. This is basically the same engine as the 2017 Ford Mustang GT. Ford Performance says to use 8 quarts of Motorcraft SAE 5W-50 Full Synthetic or XO-5W50-QGT or equivalent. The 2017 Ford Mustang GT (same engine) specifies 5W20. Car will be manual transmission and used daily (never will be raced).

Is the difference simply that Ford Performance is assuming crate engines are primarily used for racing and therefore specifying the 5W50?

Which should I use?

Is there a warranty on the engine? If so, I'd do what they say. That is not a cheap build...

Once out of warranty and in TX w/o freezing winters, I'd prolly run 5W-30 or maybe 5W-40 premium HDEO.

But, if no stoplight runs and no West Texas speed trials, then it does not really matter ...

5W20 is only for EPA mileage in the Mustang, and I believe they recommend 5W50 if its tracked as well. I'd just run the 5W50 until the warranty runs out in case you got a dud.
That sounds like a nice DD though!

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
5W20 is only for EPA mileage in the Mustang, and I believe they recommend 5W50 if its tracked as well. I'd just run the 5W50 until the warranty runs out in case you got a dud.
That sounds like a nice DD though!

This. I'm going on a limb here and assuming that crate engines don't contribute to CAFE scores, and the engineers can actually specify the better oil to protect the engine best. Nice swap!!

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Is there a warranty on the engine? If so, I'd do what they say. That is not a cheap build...

Once out of warranty and in TX w/o freezing winters, I'd prolly run 5W-30 or maybe 5W-40 premium HDEO.

But, if no stoplight runs and no West Texas speed trials, then it does not really matter ...

Yip

I'd choose the 5W-50 for any of the 5.0 engines, in any application other than McMurdo Station, Antarctica. The ultra thin oil is not ideal for lifespan, or cam phaser function.

People speculate that it is CAFE, but does the crate engine give a basis of radiator size and airflow, oil cooler size and airflow, etc? Same engine computer and controls? Same fuel management as the Mustang?

If not, and since there's no hurt in specifying higher viscosity for an engine likely to be run hard, they can do whatever they wish.

If they assume 100% track use, 5w-50 (or perhaps even a straight weight) might be prudent for that, but given your use assessment, not necessarily for you.

Doesnt mean that practically speaking it will truly protect better and last longer in regular use.

Personally, Id evaluate the cooling and airflow approach versus a new Mustang, and evaluate from there. Since it is a custom job, Id also evaluate oil temps.

Id probably look for the lowest NOACK/highest HT/HS in a 5 or 10w-30, given your climate, and roll with it.

Just curious, which gearbox are you going to use?

Sounds like a SICK project!
thumbsup2.gif
19.gif

I'm putting in a 6 speed manual Tremec transmission. Right now, the engine and transmission are in the process of being fit into the chassis. After that, the floor needs to be put in as the transmission is much bigger than the original 3 speed automatic that came out. Painting will be next, followed by interior, other engine bay parts, etc. Right now the pics of her don't look like much - chassis, engine, transmission and about 1/3 of the body - unpainted.

Appreciate everyone's thoughts - was leaning towards the 5W50 per Ford anyway. I'm thinking Mobil 1 with a Fram Ultra filter.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
People speculate that it is CAFE, but does the crate engine give a basis of radiator size and airflow, oil cooler size and airflow, etc? Same engine computer and controls? Same fuel management as the Mustang?

If not, and since there's no hurt in specifying higher viscosity for an engine likely to be run hard, they can do whatever they wish.

If they assume 100% track use, 5w-50 (or perhaps even a straight weight) might be prudent for that, but given your use assessment, not necessarily for you.

Doesnt mean that practically speaking it will truly protect better and last longer in regular use.

Personally, Id evaluate the cooling and airflow approach versus a new Mustang, and evaluate from there. Since it is a custom job, Id also evaluate oil temps.

Id probably look for the lowest NOACK/highest HT/HS in a 5 or 10w-30, given your climate, and roll with it.
No one speculates that CAFE is the reason only 5w-20 is speced. It's very obvious.

Unless it has changed the track pack cars specify 5/50. There has been endless speculation as to whether there is a difference in the engine (IE allegedly only the Track Pack cars have piston cooling squiters)...

At any rate, following Fords recommendation is probably an excellent idea.

Originally Posted By: carviewsonic
Why not split the difference with a 5W-30 full synthetic?

Yep, Ford specs 5W-30 for track use on the 2018 Mustang GT. Would be fine all the time on the street too IMO.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
There has been endless speculation as to whether there is a difference in the engine (IE allegedly only the Track Pack cars have piston cooling squiters)...

The Ford factory service manual shows piston squirters on the 2015+ Coyote.

Originally Posted By: hatt

No one speculates that CAFE is the reason only 5w-20 is speced. It's very obvious.

I forgot that you're a Ford powertrain engineer that assessed the trades and have firsthand objective evidence that vehicles are lasting shorter these days due to lower viscosity oils. Right. Forgot.

We'd all be better off running 50wt group I slop. Forgot.

I forgot that you're a Ford powertrain engineer that assessed the trades and have firsthand objective evidence that vehicles are lasting shorter these days due to lower viscosity oils. Right. Forgot.

We'd all be better off running 50wt group I slop. Forgot.

First point...doesn't need to be a Ford Power train engineer to understand their motives.
Second, the lasting shorter isn't required, as it's not proof of Ford's Motives in their initial direction to do so.

The final point is a "slippery slope" argument that's not a logical outcome of the statement that Ford chose to do it for CAFE.

"Show me the pile of failed engines", and "So you say we all should run straight 50" are the logical fallacies that get trotted out time after time after time on BITOG.

Here's one of the letters from the EPA, stating exactly why Ford, and Honda chose to use 20s in the day. And whay they MUST do to be allowed to certify their engines running that oil.
https://pics.me.me/classwork-3-x-8-yoo-bro-homework-y-1-2x-3-y-64-8248958.png

Originally Posted By: rigelkentaurus
I'm putting in a 6 speed manual Tremec transmission.

T56 Magnum, TR6060, American Powertrain version, other modded aftermarket T56?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back