Dipstick Tube on 4.6L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy all:

Anyone replaced the dipstick tube on a 4.6l Ford? Specifically in a 02 - 05 Explorer/Mountaineer? I found the one in mine to be snapped right above the bracket during my last OCI. Doesn't seem to be leaking too too much but definitely want to replace it.

It's a southern vehicle and is pretty clean underneath but has been in OH for the last 3 years. How much of a nightmare am I in for?

SECTION 303-01B: Engine — 4.6L (2V) 2002 Explorer/Mountaineer Workshop Manual

IN-VEHICLE REPAIR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oil Level Indicator and Tube

Material Item Specification
Super Premium SAE 5W-20 Motor Oil
XO-5W20-QSP or equivalent WSS-M2C153-H

Removal and Installation

Remove LH exhaust manifold (9430). For additional information, refer to Exhaust Manifold LH in this section.
Remove the oil level indicator (6750).
Remove the bolt.

Remove the oil level indicator tube (6754).

NOTE: Lubricate the new O-ring seal with clean engine oil.

Install a new O-ring seal.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Yikes. Why does the manifold need to come off? I had surmised that the tube sort of threaded down through.

Looking around the internet some more I can see that apparently the tube makes an s-bend to get down into the block/oil pan.

Has anyone done one of these and can confirm or deny this? In the event that I absolutely have to remove the DS manifold, can I do it without removing the exhaust pipe from the end of the flange? This is quickly becoming way more involved than I had imagined. And to think I'm not even the one that broke the tube...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back