Really nice 1979 Holden Commodore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certainly better looking than anything we had at that time.

The over sized door windows are interesting.

I can't seem to find a review of the Commodore 4...I wonder why ?

I had a V8 Commodore come in, in the early '80's, and it was only a couple of years old. The customer said the cam timming was out, and for me to get it right, he had a dyno sheet where they said it was a tooth out. I pulled the timing cover...and it was a tooth out. Maybe the dyno shop had run across it before, or just concluded by the power loss, but anyway, I was impressed with the diagnosis and that they were right. He'd had it all over the place and no one could sort it.

I spent many years working on Commodores of all types....never my favorite car, but bread and butter at the time.

Had a 1979 VB 202 (sort of after I finished with it)
and at another time a UC Torana 202 (sort of after I finished with it).

Much preferred the Torana to drive, passengers like the Crummydoor....

Next time I had them was the 1997 Caprice with supercharged 6.

I agree, not my fave platform, not a fan when they went Nissan engine, then the V-6 grated to an engineering purist...now it's FWD...it's not a Commodore.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
What do you mean by oversized door windows ?

To me, they look larger than normal.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
What do you mean by oversized door windows ?

To me, they look larger than normal.

got you now...

1979, we had big glass houses for visibility (and "A" pillars that you could wrap your hand around).

XDFalcon1.jpg

Although they sold really well, the down sizing of the Holden wasn't a good move, the XD Falcon above was a bigger car - more people, bigger boat, bigger caravan...and a better taxi. Holden went back to a full sized (for down here) car with the VN. They did that in a 4 cyl for NZ too, I think they sold 3 of them.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Although they sold really well, the down sizing of the Holden wasn't a good move, the XD Falcon above was a bigger car - more people, bigger boat, bigger caravan...and a better taxi. Holden went back to a full sized (for down here) car with the VN. They did that in a 4 cyl for NZ too, I think they sold 3 of them.

As usual, you are right...Kingswood vs Falcon. Torana vs Cortina

4 cyl VN ?

Did they sell them (Commodore) as the "Toyota Lexcen" over there

One feature of Holden's demise was helped along by "localization"-an unwanted creation of globalization.

Cars were "local" for a long time.
Certain specialty cars (Rolls Royces, big limos) were internationalized.
Then economy cars were popularized (older Volvos like the 140 series, original VW beetle, Renault Dauphine).
Then the Japanese "showed us all how to do it" with their Corollas. Nissan and Toyota sold zillions of smaller trucks all over Asia and Africa.
The world took notice.
Something like Holden probably became a tired feeling throwback. Remember, back before Saabs and Volvos went "all in" to the luxury car segment, people in Sweden mocked the efficient little Saabs. They were plenty good enough but lacked any pizzazz.

Add to that the ability to abandon workers for the most automated assembly lines, international shipment of major sub-assemblies and you have the pieces in place for immediate change.

Bye-bye Holden.

Things like Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Plymouth were just names used by the marketeers. Any original characterization of those old car companies was long gone by the 1930's so no loss there.

Too bad Saab was sold to the same Giant, dismembered and killed. It's a shame Saab couldn't have done an about face by returning to simpler, cheaper vehicles.

Written on the fly....not intended to cover the entire history of the entire automobile industry.

Obviously a better build than its US counterparts during that era. Lots of brand new cars on dealer lots with rust already showing on body panels plus missing items from assembly. The phrase “we’ll take care of that for ya before you drive off” was heard quite often.

Originally Posted By: Kira
One feature of Holden's demise was helped along by "localization"-an unwanted creation of globalization.

Cars were "local" for a long time.
Certain specialty cars (Rolls Royces, big limos) were internationalized.
Then economy cars were popularized (older Volvos like the 140 series, original VW beetle, Renault Dauphine).
Then the Japanese "showed us all how to do it" with their Corollas. Nissan and Toyota sold zillions of smaller trucks all over Asia and Africa.
The world took notice.
Something like Holden probably became a tired feeling throwback. Remember, back before Saabs and Volvos went "all in" to the luxury car segment, people in Sweden mocked the efficient little Saabs. They were plenty good enough but lacked any pizzazz.

Add to that the ability to abandon workers for the most automated assembly lines, international shipment of major sub-assemblies and you have the pieces in place for immediate change.

Bye-bye Holden.

Things like Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Plymouth were just names used by the marketeers. Any original characterization of those old car companies was long gone by the 1930's so no loss there.

Too bad Saab was sold to the same Giant, dismembered and killed. It's a shame Saab couldn't have done an about face by returning to simpler, cheaper vehicles.

Written on the fly....not intended to cover the entire history of the entire automobile industry.

Saab still alive in China as the chassis for the LEV (all electric vehicle) and selling well there. Good structure that passed the worlds crash requirements, so picked up at fire sale prices and they are carrying on
smile.gif

Hate "modern" mini-green houses with shoulder high sills. Won't buy one with anyone's money ... Would take either of those oversized glass examples above as good high visibility cars. I want a sill I can rest my arm on as I cruise
smile.gif

Last edited:
4 cyl VN ?

Waiheke Island was the place cars went to end their days...if they survived they were punted off to the next island further out, Great Barrier Island. So we didn't get to see many late model cars - lot's of Commodores, and we saw the VL in the '90's, but no VN's turned up. One day a VN station wagon comes in, obviously city people on holiday. I open the bonnet expecting to see the mighty V6 I'd heard about, and instead there is that Opel engine out of the Camira ! Very disapointing, but at least the water pump was easy to do, better than if it was in the Camira. I never saw another one...perhaps there was only one ?

Reminds me of the first Mustang I saw, they were pretty rare in NZ...saw Steve McQueen drive one in Bullit. One day a white one pulls up on the forecourt, so I rush out...''I'll check your oil eh ?'' Open the bonnet, and there is a gold top 170 Falcon engine. Disapointing for a 16 year old.

No, no badged Commodore. But I remember once getting into a Corona, and I was a bit puzzled about the gearlever, it seemed wrong. Drove around the block, came back and popped the bonnet - There was a Holden Starfire in there, and the gearbox was the Borg Warner Cortina box. The local Content rules.

Yep, there were starfire Coronas in Oz too.
And Sunbirds with Opel engines, or holden engines.
and UC Toranas with the Opel gearbox when the gearbox workers striked...bad combination with miles on them.

Nice old Commodore. I like how they've restored it but incorporated some updates, like the worked engine, drilled brake rotors, etc. Be happy to have it in my garage!

Oh, for the Americans...

The VB was available in 4 cylinder (1.9L, our local six with 2 pots lopped off. The Con-Rods for the 4 are serious hot-up pieces for the 6s), 6 cylinder (173 c.i. and 202 c.i.), and two V-8s, the local grown 253 and 308.

The 173 and 202 had the Aussie grown 4 speed, as did the 253. They had the "wide" ratio. the 308 manual was close ratio, which was a bit silly, but done because of the torque that would upset the low first gear wide ratio box.

The Autos were the local "Tri-Matic" for the 173, 202, and 253, while the 308 got the turbo 400.

In the trim in the video, V-8 and turbo 400 they were about 3,000lb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back