Amsoil SSO 0W-30, 1993 Civic, 3,007 miles

Congrats on half a million miles!

One thing that worries me about d1G2 is a paper that wemay shared on this site that claimed that the magnesium-based detergents that are being used to replace some portion of the typical calcium-based detergents to help limit LSPI events also tend to interfere with the MoS2-ZDDP synergy that can so effectively protect metals in engines. The solution posited in this paper involved using boron-based dispersants that helped to restore this vital protection, and I do see a good dose of boron in this Amsoil, but this little factoid still stays in the back of my mind.
One would hope that XOM learned to deal with this some time ago as M1 oils (excepting 0W40 and maybe some other less common grades) have been using magnesium-based detergents along with a modest dose of calcium-based ones for some time...but, there is anecdotal evidence and even maybe some from Blackstone that M1 oils might result in slightly higher wear rates than other synthetics in given engines. Not knocking M1 oils here, I have used them a lot and probably will again in the future.

The high wear metal counts make me wonder if there's such a thing as too much moly.

Originally Posted By: harry j

Blackstone Labs; We're glad to see this Civic is still going strong, even if it is wearing more than it used
to. Lead (bearings) is up to 8PPM now and Chrome (piston rings) is also higher than in the past. Neither metal
is terribly high, but thay do stand out from this engine's long history. Potassium remains elevated. It could
show a trace of coolant, but it's hard to make that call as sodium (also found in anti-freeze) is still
reasonably low at 14 PPM. The viscosity is in spec and the TBN is plenty strong at 5.0. The particle count
was 15/15/12. If it's still running fine, then just check back next time.

Code:
[/code]

Aluminum---------3------------------------------4 (universal average based on 3,500 OCI)

Chromium---------2------------------------------1

Iron-------------17-----------------------------9

Copper-----------3------------------------------3

Lead-------------8------------------------------2

Tin--------------0------------------------------1

Molybdenum-------356----------------------------85

Nickel-----------0------------------------------0

Manganese--------0------------------------------0

Silver-----------0------------------------------0

Titanium---------0------------------------------0

Potassium--------28-----------------------------4

Boron------------68-----------------------------50

Silicon----------18-----------------------------11

Sodium-----------14-----------------------------43

Calcium----------1367---------------------------2137

Magnesium--------928----------------------------148

Posphorus--------768----------------------------712

Zinc-------------814----------------------------832

Barium-----------0------------------------------0

Code:

It’s looking like their may be a slight coolant leak into the oil. Do you have a VOA to see how much potassium and sodium it has?

Originally Posted By: JAG
It’s looking like their may be a slight coolant leak into the oil. Do you have a VOA to see how much potassium and sodium it has?

I don't have a VOA on the new Amsoil 0W-30 oil, I would like to see it though. I can't believe Amsoil would allow

potassium in their oil knowing the possible damage it can do. You have a point, there could be potassium and/or sodium

present we just don't know.

Thank you for posting the VOA for the Amsoil 0W-30 oil. This analysis is for the older version of this fine oil

Thank you for the pictures esp the engine bay. Looks great! I had a white 94 Civic coupe DX manual and that brought back memories.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Congrats on half a million miles!

One thing that worries me about d1G2 is a paper that wemay shared on this site that claimed that the magnesium-based detergents that are being used to replace some portion of the typical calcium-based detergents to help limit LSPI events also tend to interfere with the MoS2-ZDDP synergy that can so effectively protect metals in engines. The solution posited in this paper involved using boron-based dispersants that helped to restore this vital protection, and I do see a good dose of boron in this Amsoil, but this little factoid still stays in the back of my mind.
One would hope that XOM learned to deal with this some time ago as M1 oils (excepting 0W40 and maybe some other less common grades) have been using magnesium-based detergents along with a modest dose of calcium-based ones for some time...but, there is anecdotal evidence and even maybe some from Blackstone that M1 oils might result in slightly higher wear rates than other synthetics in given engines. Not knocking M1 oils here, I have used them a lot and probably will again in the future.

Thank you Virtus_Probi!

I share your concern with the Dexos 1, Gen 2. I have looked for the paper you wrote about but have had no luck as of yet.

Where did you see it? This whole thing has the potential for a huge horror story, let's hope not.

Here's the gas mileage for the last 19,000 miles.

19,463 miles/531.579 gallons = 36.6 MPG

Are you TRYING to get good gas mileage by hypermilling or are you just driving normally?

Originally Posted By: JLTD
More than a 10% increase in mpg....not bad at all and it will be interesting to see if that increase holds.

I am happy my MPG'S went up. It looked like the new oil had something to do with it, but now

I don't know. I have tried it with two other cars with no MPG increase. It must be something else.

It's just that it happened as soon as I went to the new Amsoil 0W-30 oil.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Here's the gas mileage for the last 19,000 miles.

19,463 miles/531.579 gallons = 36.6 MPG

Are you TRYING to get good gas mileage by hypermilling or are you just driving normally?

Yes Artem, I do practice hypermilling but not in an extreme manner. I drive the same as before when

I averaged 33 MPG, the only change was the oil (I have used Amsoil 0W-30 since 118,000 miles except one stint

on Mobil1)

Back