EcoTec Filter suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 Cavalier LS, which I've been using K&N filters in since I got it...
But I was informed in another thread that they aren't that effective at filtering small debris.

So I'm looking for suggestions on what to use.

I hit a lot of stop-n-go traffic in daily rush hours, and drive roughly 90 miles a day highway time.
I don't know much about the internal type filters that the EcoTecs use, so I'm asking for help.

Fwiw, I shop at Advanced Auto.

Fram Ultra (walmart, rockauto.com, amazon.com, etc.) is the best for you. Best filtering. Made strong with wire backing. Dual layer synthetic media catches more. XG9018
You'd do almost as well with Fram TG9018 (4548-12 99%@20microns) or the CH9018 (95%). Its a cartridge oil filter, so you can't go too wrong no matter what you do.

These engines (well, should say filter housings) are know to be very picky about filters, if it is not a perfect fit, it will slightly crumple the filter.

Partially crushed NAPA ProSelect filter from my mom's '07 Saturn Vue with the 2.2:

I also had another ProSelect from her Vue that looked amazing
21.gif
:

I have even seen some OEM filters with the crushing issue.

I had used an Ultra once on hers, but she had it changed somewhere else so no idea how it faired.

I have an EcoGard Syn filter in it now, and a Bosch D+ for after that.

ACDelco PF457G or PF458G (the 458G includes a cap and O-ring, while the 457 is just the cartridge)
Hengst E630H (the OE supplier--the ACDelco filters will say Hengst on them)
Purflux L264A (previous OE supplier that made the OEM filters for the Ecotec in the early 2000s)
Mann HU 6007x

Mann, Hengst, or Purflux is all I'd use in an Ecotec 2.2/2.4

+1 for the fram ultra! I was tired on seeing deformed filter media with mine and the ultras are great! The amsoil ones are awesome too but they jacked the price this year so moved to the ultra!

Originally Posted By: blupupher
These engines (well, should say filter housings) are know to be very picky about filters, if it is not a perfect fit, it will slightly crumple the filter.

Yeah, I've had this issue with K&N once or twice, and with the cheapo Purolator (house brand) that advance sells.

But yeah, the "housing" is pretty fickle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
ACDelco PF457G or PF458G (the 458G includes a cap and O-ring, while the 457 is just the cartridge)
Hengst E630H (the OE supplier--the ACDelco filters will say Hengst on them)
Purflux L264A (previous OE supplier that made the OEM filters for the Ecotec in the early 2000s)
Mann HU 6007x

Mann, Hengst, or Purflux is all I'd use in an Ecotec 2.2/2.4

I'll definitely be looking these up.
Thank you!!!!

** Looked up reviews on Hengst... Find videos to.
They look awesome. I hope my local store carries them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Fram Ultra (walmart, rockauto.com, amazon.com, etc.) is the best for you. Best filtering. Made strong with wire backing. Dual layer synthetic media catches more. XG9018
You'd do almost as well with Fram TG9018 (4548-12 99%@20microns) or the CH9018 (95%). Its a cartridge oil filter, so you can't go too wrong no matter what you do.

Wire backing, you say? Sounds great to me.

I will always choose Mann over anything if available. Their quality is unparalleled. HU 6007 X

Originally Posted By: GMWeber

If your store carries ACDelco filters, then it carries the proper Hengst filter
smile.gif

Most parts stores do carry ACDelco parts
thumbsup2.gif

If your store carries ACDelco filters, then it carries the proper Hengst filter
smile.gif

Most parts stores do carry ACDelco parts
thumbsup2.gif

+1

.....Looked up reviews on Hengst.....They look awesome. I hope my local store carries them.

Good Luck. In my observation, the Hengst 'labeled' ACDelco oem has become harder and harder to find and purchase. It seems ACDelco has replaced it with the yellow media cartridge which has no indication it is a Hengst cartridge. The newer "PF457G" shown on Amazon. The PF458G with cap shows the referenced Hengst made ACD also on Amazon. I wouldn't trust the image now though as I suspect it has been replaced by newer ACDelco. Amazon does appear to show the Hengst cartridge for sale HERE, how accurate product description, can't say. Using Amazon examples, because pics available.

When it comes to Ecotec cartridge anecdotes posted, seems no matter the brand, none are immune from the squished looking syndrome. Even the Hengst on google images can be found in that condition. To me more about ecotec application than cartridge used. And though they might not look great post use, function may not be compromised.

All that said, if concerned I'd likely start with the current ACDelco PF457G and go from there.

[/quote]
Good Luck. In my observation, the Hengst 'labeled' ACDelco oem has become harder and harder to find and purchase. It seems ACDelco has replaced it with the yellow media cartridge which has no indication it is a Hengst cartridge. The newer "PF457G" shown on Amazon. The PF458G with cap shows the referenced Hengst made ACD also on Amazon. I wouldn't trust the image now though as I suspect it has been replaced by newer ACDelco. Amazon does appear to show the Hengst cartridge for sale [/quote]

So would you say go with Mann then?
Since it seems Hengst is just a bamboozle!?

^^^I wouldn't call the Hengst a bamboozle per se, just much harder to find now. It did seem to be very popular of the ecotec cartridges, generally good results. As I said, seems no rhyme or reason to good appearance versus squished looking cartridge.

I don't recall a post use Mann ecotec cartridge being posted here, suppose it would be ok to try. Carid has a pic of it, looks like it uses a type endcap Mann uses on their cartridges. Better for ecotec results? Having not seen post use anecdote can't say.

https://www.carid.com/mann-filter/metal-free-oil-filter-element-mpn-hu6007x.html

The Purflux is probably the most resistant to buckling, as the media is already intentionally wavy--the famous Purflux "chevron pleats" used on it. Purflux was a previous OE supplier to GM. They made the OEM ACDelco filters for this application in the early 2000's when the Ecotec first came out.

On an Ecotec that I change the oil on, right now it has a Hengst ACDelco. When I change the oil on it again, it will be replaced with a Purflux.

I have no experience with the Mann Ecotec cartridge.

The Purflux is probably the most resistant to buckling, as the media is already intentionally wavy--the famous Purflux "chevron pleats"
Those chevron pleats are awesome. Wish more pleats used it. OK, Fram Ultra filters great and is wire-backed strong, but the Purflux L264A with those pleats rule....
L264A.jpg

Thing is though, with all the discussion above about Hengst, Mann, AC-Delco, etc., what is missing is performance info on those brands.
At least with Fram Ultra you know what the filtering efficiency is gonna be. 4548-12 stuff.

Still, Purflux gets the "Configuration Award" here, and yes it should be able to avoid pleat buckling issues.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
^^^I wouldn't call the Hengst a bamboozle per se, just much harder to find now. It did seem to be very popular of the ecotec cartridges, generally good results. As I said, seems no rhyme or reason to good appearance versus squished looking cartridge.

I don't recall a post use Mann ecotec cartridge being posted here, suppose it would be ok to try. Carid has a pic of it, looks like it uses a type endcap Mann uses on their cartridges. Better for ecotec results? Having not seen post use anecdote can't say.

https://www.carid.com/mann-filter/metal-free-oil-filter-element-mpn-hu6007x.html

Hmmm... That's different looking.
Might see if I can track one down.

In BMW applications, Mann is generally regarded to be slightly better than Hengst. Most Mann filters are still made in Germany. Although the ones I just purchased for the Mini are from Bosnia...

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
In BMW applications, Mann is generally regarded to be slightly better than Hengst. Most Mann filters are still made in Germany. Although the ones I just purchased for the Mini are from Bosnia...

The Mann for this Ecotec is made in Spain (some of the Volvo Mann cartridges also come from Spain)

The Purflux is made in France

and the Hengst is made in the USA

The Amsoil filter for the Ecotec applications uses wire backed full synthetic media. I ran one in mine for 1 year and 11k miles and it held up well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back