ACDelco UPF 64 CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off of a 2017 Chevy Cruze at work. Was at dealer for piston problem and internal engine codes. The filter was on car for 5k after we fit vehicle back. Dealer installed it. Looks like a offshore made filter to me

Replaced with this filter

Thought the UPF64R filters were made by Champ Labs? I can't quite tell by the picture, does it have one baseplate hole bigger than the others? The Premium Guards are definitely Chinese, they look just like the other Daewha made ones (Rural King, etc.).

Excellent! Been hoping for a C&P of a UPF64R. I was expecting more pleating and more even pleating for a "premium" filter. That being said, the media looks straight and strong. No bends. Double pleats on the seam for strength. Overall not a bad looking filter. I expected more though for a "racing" branded filter.

I will be C&P'ing mine in 2 months.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Excellent! Been hoping for a C&P of a UPF64R. I was expecting more pleating and more even pleating for a "premium" filter. That being said, the media looks straight and strong. No bends. Double pleats on the seam for strength. Overall not a bad looking filter. I expected more though for a "racing" branded filter.

I cant wait to see yours sir

Do you have a C&P and/or specs of that replacement filter you put on? I'm curious.

What makes you think it was made offshore?
I see the replacement non-OEM Premium Guard is China made though.

No tears, looks like the AC-Delco held up. Silicone ADBV. That's the PF64-size, but with a larger 35 psi bypass pressure.
GM recommends the PF64 (22 psi bypass, nitrile ADBV) for some applications, and the UPF64R for others. Since webfors reported a hole in his PF64, AC-Delco is suspect, though UPF64R may somehow be better to use if the 35 psi bypass doesn't create off-spec problems.

Do you have a C&P and/or specs of that replacement filter you put on? I'm curious.
Made in China, likely not that good.

https://www.pgfilters.com/product-page/UPG64R/2017-Chevrolet-Cruze/Oil-Filter/
and they keep bypass psi and efficiency as trade secrets....LOL ... probably an OK filter, but is the cheap type.

Last edited:

I purchased some UPF64R filters from Rockauto recently. They all are marked as made in the USA and look the same as the C&P from Car51. If you do not care about the retail box you can save some money by purchasing the UPF64RF ($3.08 each). The F suffix indicates it came from a Fleet pack (case of 12) with no retail box. I am not sure a $3 filter qualifies as a racing filter at BITOG
grin.gif

I dont know the specs.
Originally Posted By: smithph

I purchased some UPF64R filters from Rockauto recently. They all are marked as made in the USA and look the same as the C&P from Car51. If you do not care about the retail box you can save some money by purchasing the UPF64RF ($3.08 each). The F suffix indicates it came from a Fleet pack (case of 12) with no retail box.

Thanks for the info on where they are made

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Since webfors reported a hole in his PF64, AC-Delco is suspect, though UPF64R may somehow be better to use if the 35 psi bypass doesn't create off-spec problems.

The car this "R" filter was on is at the dealer with piston problems and internal engine codes, hummm. Wonder if GM actually specs the UPF64R for this car?

Any filter with a 35 PSI bypass valve better have some pretty strong media to take that much delta-p.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Since webfors reported a hole in his PF64, AC-Delco is suspect, though UPF64R may somehow be better to use if the 35 psi bypass doesn't create off-spec problems.

The car this "R" filter was on is at the dealer with piston problems and internal engine codes, hummm. Wonder if GM actually specs the UPF64R for this car?

Any filter with a 35 PSI bypass valve better have some pretty strong mediavto take that much delta-p.

Dunno

Yes, UPF64R is the right one here. GM specs these on several SGE-class turbo-DI ecotecs, except mine, a 2018 1.5L SGE LYX uses a PF64 instead..... Wish I new why GM wants a 35 psi bypass on some engines, and a 22 psi bypass on other engines that are from the same family.....
Any filter with a 35 PSI bypass valve better have some pretty strong media to take that much delta-p.
One would think that. Thats why webfors is using it on his GM 2.0L turbo-DI which normally calls for a PF64.

Thanks as usual car51. The center tube of the one you cut looks like the design used on some Luber Finer filters I've had, which is part of Champion Laboratories. What does the center tube of the Premium Guard cross for this filter look like? Is it the spiral design?

Is it me or does the oil look contaminated? There’s almost a green color...like antifreeze. Or is that just the lighting?

Originally Posted By: Onug
Is it me or does the oil look contaminated? There’s almost a green color...like antifreeze. Or is that just the lighting?

It looks like it has antifreeze in it to me as well.

If the oil had antifreeze mixed up in it, it would look creamy, not have a green tint. It's probably an artifact of the camera flash.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Thank you for posting
thumbsup2.gif

What does it say on the top of the can?

No date on dome end of can

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Thanks as usual car51. The center tube of the one you cut looks like the design used on some Luber Finer filters I've had, which is part of Champion Laboratories. What does the center tube of the Premium Guard cross for this filter look like? Is it the spiral design?

Center tube has holes and no louvers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back