New Rotellas.. late to the game ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reviewing the old and new T6 5w40 specs and noticed the pour point has improved from -42 to -51 degrees Celcius! This indicates different base oils, especially considering the oil has a higher viscosity at both 40 and 100 degrees celcius. HIgher flash too.

CJ-4
http://s7d9.scene7.com/is/content/GenuinePartsCompany/1843126pdf

CK-4
http://www.purseroil.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/ShellRotellaT65W-40.pdf

And in case it hasn't been posted, the new CK-4 T4 15w40:

http://oilmart.com/data/products/pds/142/TDS Rotella T4 Triple Protection 15W-40.pdf

I'm starting to lean towards this for the wee after I get through my current CJ-4 stash due to the very low VI and shear stability.

Your DL650 will love it. My SV650 did well on all Rotella variants and didn't seem to shear the oil too bad. Make sure you claim any Shell rebates as Rotella frequently has one.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Your DL650 will love it. My SV650 did well on all Rotella variants and didn't seem to shear the oil too bad. Make sure you claim any Shell rebates as Rotella frequently has one.

That's good to hear from a fellow Suzi 650 twin. I love that engine.

I recently recall something about T6 starting to use liquid to gas base stocks. I have never used T6, nor do I have any data to refer you to, its just something I recall reading on this site, and its been a few months ago.

eta; gas to liquid...

Last edited:

Did you notice any difference b/t Rotella T4 and T6 (dino vs. syn)?
Considering T6 for my next change since it meets the JASO MA rating.
coffee2.gif

My 1100 liked any 15/40 over the 5/40 oils. The 5/40 oils shared down after 1500 to 2000 miles and the 15/40 could go 3500 miles. I don't ride when its colder than 25*f so a -51c pour point doesn't help my bike at all.

ROD

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

coffee2.gif

The only perceived difference was that the T6 seemed to make the bike run a smidge cooler.

I neve rode when it was cold enough to notice any cold startup differences.

The T5 blend actually has some great UOA results and seems to resist shear if you are looking to save a few bucks.

coffee2.gif

The only perceived difference was that the T6 seemed to make the bike run a smidge cooler.

The T5 blend actually has some great UOA results and seems to resist shear if you are looking to save a few bucks.

But it's not JASO recommended according to their spec sheets... ?

https://www.shell.ca/en_ca/business-cust...l-sheet-eng.pdf

Originally Posted By: webfors
Links to the UOAs if you have them handy please?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4371237/Kawasaki_ZRX1200_Various_UOA's#Post4371237

The T5 is CK-4 in this UOA
If it was going to be beat up, I'd say his bike would do it.
You recall seeing the CK-4 T6 performance in the 2014 vstrom 1000?

coffee2.gif

But it's not JASO recommended according to their spec sheets... ?

https://www.shell.ca/en_ca/business-cust...l-sheet-eng.pdf

I've seen conflicting info about that. Someone once linked me to an obscure PDF on Shell's website that claimed T5 had JASO ratings.

Keep in mind that Shell is SELF-CERTIFYING their oils to be JASO anyway. JASO's official list does not include any Rotella oils.

So the value of JASO certification in the realm of Rotella is questionable in the first place.

I've seen conflicting info about that. Someone once linked me to an obscure PDF on Shell's website that claimed T5 had JASO ratings.

Keep in mind that Shell is SELF-CERTIFYING their oils to be JASO anyway. JASO's official list does not include any Rotella oils.

So the value of JASO certification in the realm of Rotella is questionable in the first place.

I have a 5 year warranty on the bike. It would go a long way to have JASO MA mentioned on the bottles.

JASO MA/MA2 is a static friction via clutch requirement. Not to put my foot in my mouth (because I don't want to pretend to be a know-it-all,) but I can't imagine this test is that hard to conduct in-house. Shell Rotella T4 meets JASO MA spec according to Shell. Shell Rotella T6 meets JASO MA spec according to Shell, too. Valvoline and Mobile make good, JASO-MA certified oils if you want to have evidence ready for an expected claim against the manufacturer.
I understand what peace-of-mind means to people.

The JASO spec test for static friction, dynamic friction, and the stop time index on the SAE#2 clutch testing rig.

I'm sure Shell does have the capability to run it in-house, but its probably not worth their time to submit the results and formula to JALOS. The requirements make you re-register for any little formula change you make so its tedious if you make slight changes relatively frequently.

It's 7,000km on the BMW, if I'm riding a lot, that's when I do it, if I'm not on it as much I'll drop back to 5 or 6,000km.

Oops, wrong thread and can't delete. The page must've scrold as I clicked on the oil change thread.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silk
It's 7,000km on the BMW, if I'm riding a lot, that's when I do it, if I'm not on it as much I'll drop back to 5 or 6,000km.

Oops, wrong thread and can't delete. The page must've scrold as I clicked on the oil change thread.

Now I'm curious. Please provide the thread.
grin.gif

What are y'alls thoughts on switching back and forth between T6 5w40 (fall/winter/spring) and T4 15w40 (summer)?

Any issues with that?

What are y'alls thoughts on switching back and forth between T6 5w40 (fall/winter/spring) and T4 15w40 (summer)?

Any issues with that?

I switched from 10w-40 to 5w-40 then to 15w-40. No problems at all. Unless you are riding in temps lower than 32F, you don't need the 5w-40. All 5w-40 is going to do is shear down and degrade faster than 15w-40. Or you can cut it right down the middle and run 10w-40. They are all a 40 weight oil once they reach operating temperature anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back