Why Less Love For Mobil 1 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As compared to : Pennzoil Pure Platinum , Castrol Edge Quaker State Ultimate Durability and Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic - Mobil 1 seems to attract a fair ammount of haters here ... Is Mobil 1 really that bad of a synthetic oil considering Corvette and high end European autos use it as a factory fill ? Anyone had a major engine issue or failure attributed to Mobil 1 ? Is a different resonance engine sound while using Mobil 1 really anything that contributes to being a poor quality oil ? Wear metals appeared to have a "blip" at one time where they appeared high in Mobil 1 relation to previous OCI's - but is that still a problem ? ... Lastly , I'm no Mobile 1 fan boy - just asking what the continued , current hate for Mobil 1 stems from ?

I wouldn't say it's hate. It's approved for Mercedes, but not for BMW. They lost the LL-01 certification recently but it still meets MB 229.5. It's fine, I still buy it especially when it has a rebate. I just still have lots of Castrol left when it was $2/quart at Autozone.

Because it's by far the market share leader. And as in sports, most like to pull for the underdog.
All major brands are really good, no knock on M1, You can't go wrong with any of them.

The more the hate the bigger the rebate!

M1 was $12 of a 5 qt jug that was on sale for $22 at walmart. $10 for 5qt is a steal and its good oil. I have 3 oil changes worth left (Im not a stasher like some).

M1 may very well be the most used synthetic oil with BITOG followers and the world as a whole.

Originally Posted By: tig1
M1 may very well be the most used synthetic oil with BITOG followers and the world as a whole.

For sure. Definitely the most recognized name in synthetic oils.

I've just heard too many people (especially with older GMs) complain about oil consumption when switching to M1 compared to any other brand of synthetic oil. I will never use it.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
I've just heard too many people (especially with older GMs) complain about oil consumption when switching to M1 compared to any other brand of synthetic oil. I will never use it.

I've heard just the opposite.

Now that's pure hatred right there

Last edited by a moderator:
Right on Tig1...

At Walmart near me it clearly sells better than all of it's competitors. And it is not all that close.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I agree. The most recognized and used by far.

It isn't like it is a bad oil. It just commands a price premium compared to oils that are just as good or seemingly better.

Along with its somewhat less popular cousin, Mobile 1.

I have no beef with it but I quit using it in the mid 80's when our fleet of GM trucks were sucking it down at a rapid pace and that was in old and new vehicles.
Of course many revisions later I have no idea what it is today but I just got away from it. If Mobil gave me a bunch of it, I'd use it but it just never came back on my radar. Those vans were all 305 and 350 V8's

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Along with its somewhat less popular cousin, Mobile 1.

Yeah..... lol
But that version is only available in Bama

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I especially love it when Costco has 6 quarts on sale for $26.99

+1

I will chime in on the higher consumption.

But most of the hate for me is because the M1 users seem brainwashed into M1.

They say im using M1 and its consuming a quart every 2500miles and is loud or otherwise they are not happy. But even though M1 is mistreating them, they stubbornly still will stay with m1 and say should I try m1 5w40 or maybe M1 5w30HM and can't be convinced that maybe m1 isnt for their car and to try pp or something else.
especially with all the m1 lovers chiming in and also reinforcing that there is no way M1 could be bad, its your fault.
The cult of m1 is basically an abusive relationship.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back