I wish Toyota offered a hot compact

Status
Not open for further replies.
A slew of other makers offer a sporty version of their compact car like the Ford Focus ST, Hyundai Elantra Sport, Nissan Sentra SR Turbo, VW GTI, Honda Civic Si and maybe a few more I cant think of. The Toyota 86 is slow by todays standards and not practical. I've always liked small cars offered in a warmed over version with more power and handling than the "rental version". If Toyota offered a sporty Corolla, who knows, I might buy one?

with both Ford and Chevy switching their NASCAR Bodies to Pony Cars, I'm kinda looking for Toyota to come out with one.

Camry, vs Fusion vs Impala/SS...ok...
Camry Vs Mustang Vs Camaro? Come on...
It's Grandpa Vs 2 mullets...

not that I actually expect it to happen, just kinda ... pondering...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
If Toyota offered a sporty Corolla, who knows, I might buy one?

You'd be an Army of One!
smile.gif

Why? Most of their clientele would keel. Not sure they'd take too well to it.

Wasn't the point of Scion to go after the youth market? That didn't go so well.

Elantra Sport is 6.5 seconds 0-60, Civic Si 6.7 seconds, Toyota 86 is 6.8 seconds. Sounds like the same to me
21.gif

GTI is 5.9 seconds. Is 0.9 seconds a big difference? I only drive slow cars so...

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
A slew of other makers offer a sporty version of their compact car like the Ford Focus ST, Hyundai Elantra Sport, Nissan Sentra SR Turbo, VW GTI, Honda Civic Si and maybe a few more I cant think of. The Toyota 86 is slow by todays standards and not practical. I've always liked small cars offered in a warmed over version with more power and handling than the "rental version". If Toyota offered a sporty Corolla, who knows, I might buy one?

I don't think the North American is there for any volume of a hot hatch that would add to what he other manufacturers are currently selling.

Years ago I went to Jamaica on vacation and saw some interesting small Japanese cars like turbo Tercel's. Why don't you just import a RHD Nissan Skyline?

Originally Posted By: earlyre
with both Ford and Chevy switching their NASCAR Bodies to Pony Cars, I'm kinda looking for Toyota to come out with one.

Camry, vs Fusion vs Impala/SS...ok...
Camry Vs Mustang Vs Camaro? Come on...
It's Grandpa Vs 2 mullets...

not that I actually expect it to happen, just kinda ... pondering...

They could always bring back the Solara, or the Celica.
However anymore in NASCAR, it's pretty much all about slapping some stickers on anyway.

I would have liked for them to use the 2AR in the 11th generation Corolla with a 6-speed as an option. That would have been "hot-er". Lets just hope they have some tricks up their sleeves for the 12th Gen. Even a juiced up version of the standard engine would be decent. I do, however, agree with supton. I'm sure they are taking a far less risky move.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Elantra Sport is 6.5 seconds 0-60, Civic Si 6.7 seconds, Toyota 86 is 6.8 seconds. Sounds like the same to me
21.gif

GTI is 5.9 seconds. Is 0.9 seconds a big difference? I only drive slow cars so...

Well almost.

https://www.caranddriver.com/toyota/86

The manual is 6.8s
Compared to a Corolla its still pretty fast, just missing a usable back seat. They are pretty impressive on the autocross course though, very comparable to stuff like a Lotus Elise. So it is a pretty good deal for that type of performance with normal car usability/reliability.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
21.gif

Well almost.

https://www.caranddriver.com/toyota/86
Ah, I saw MotorTrends article on it at 6.8 seconds.

Still too close to matter IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back