Magnatec - intelligent molecules?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't speak to Magnatec, but Castrol marketed a full synthetic called Syntec in the USA back in the 90s. That product was a PAO/ester blend and used the phrase "Unique Molecular Bonding" referring to the ester component, which our company designed and supplied in the later years of the formula. (A Castrol manager told me that the phrase came from me at a meeting, but I have no recollection of it.)

The formulation was changed in 1998 to Group III+ with some PAO as needed for wide grades, and our polyol ester eliminated. Castrol did agree to stop using the "Unique Molecular Bonding" claim once the ester was removed, and they were kind enough to take our remaining stock of the ester, which was exclusive to them.

I believe their use of "Magna" (as in magnetic) relates to polar additives but don't know if the formulations today incorporate esters or some other polar component. As for "Intelligent Molecules", that sounds like a marketing stretch to me, but then Castrol was always the leader in aggressively marketing motor oils.

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
I'm not sure these molecules can be called 'intelligent' when heavy esters are by definition, 'a bit thick', as well as being denser than your average hydrocarbon.

crackmeup2.gif

Since we are made up of molecules, and call ourselves intelligent, I'd say there must be such a thing as intelligent molecules. Not sure how well they would perform in the sump of an engine.

It can’t be to intelligence to because my wife Suburban drinks it like water. Her suburban uses/ leaks oil but it almost doubles it with magnatec.

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
I believe their use of "Magna" (as in magnetic) relates to polar additives but don't know if the formulations today incorporate esters or some other polar component. As for "Intelligent Molecules", that sounds like a marketing stretch to me, but then Castrol was always the leader in aggressively marketing motor oils.

Could they be referring to a type of nanotechnology component (inorganic fullerenes), like the ones Millers Oils has developed and uses in some of their product lineup??
(Unless Millers has a totally encompassing exclusive patent hold on that tech?)

In any case, I doubt it is the above, if for no other reason than the Magnatec can be had for $19.xx for a 5 liter jug at Sino Mart, whereas the Millers NT oils cost a decent amount MORE than that for a 1 liter bottle.
frown.gif

(As humongous as Castrol/BP is, it is doubtful they could bring the price THAT far down, even with volume.
wink.gif
)

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Magnatec 10W40 is likely the most sold individual oil in OZ. (it's prominent, the most regularly discounted, and covers adequately just about everything on the road)...It's sold as a regular oil, not syn.

Guy in town has a Falcon XR-6 Ute with centrifugal supercharger, and 356 at the wheels (KW).

Uses that oil exclusively, and has done for yonks.

Will try and hit him up for a fill hole pic.

Wonder if the formula is different for Oz? Magnatec bottles in the US say "Full Synthetic" on the front. If you get a fill hole pic that would be great - thanks.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Magnatec 10W40 is likely the most sold individual oil in OZ. (it's prominent, the most regularly discounted, and covers adequately just about everything on the road)...It's sold as a regular oil, not syn.

Guy in town has a Falcon XR-6 Ute with centrifugal supercharger, and 356 at the wheels (KW).

Uses that oil exclusively, and has done for yonks.

Will try and hit him up for a fill hole pic.

Wonder if the formula is different for Oz? Magnatec bottles in the US say "Full Synthetic" on the front. If you get a fill hole pic that would be great - thanks.

Maybe the Antipodes are under the same 'Euro rules' which disallow anything with a majority Group 3/GTL/Visom base stock component from being labeled a "Full Synthetic"?
21.gif

It should STILL be able to be labeled a 'Semi-Synthetic', or 'Techno-Synthese', like Europe though.
confused2.gif

BOF - It doesn't get driven over the winter months, and sits a while between drives so thinking of trying Magnatec thinking it might help reduce some engine wear. Might help quiet down the engine some too from what I'm reading.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Speaking of superchargers, how did you like that HOLLYWOODED WEIAND "part-time" supercharger that MAD MAX had? I am still searching for the kit to make a supercharger turn off/on at the flick of a switch!
grin.gif

Was mounted over the top of the standard carby on an angle iron frame. Bottom pulley was mounted to the A/C pulley. Unfortunately totally NOT a supercharger in function.

Checked with the guy today, he's no longer got the vehicle...so no photos.

He did confierm that every time he had the top end open, there was nothing of note.

lol.gif
Nice ones guys
Tom - good information thank you. Gonna start calling you the ester guy. Seems like you've worked a LOT with the majors with ester development
thumbsup2.gif

Shannow - I remember the story of having dinner with that Castrol guy, recounted many years ago. That was my first association of Magnatec and the esters.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

If it were available in Canada, would you use it?

If it was a good value, sure. I suspect that most blends on the shelf these days use some type of high polarity fluid/esters - making them all "magnatec" essentially.

The last thing close to Magnatec in Canada was probably 10-15years ago, they had a "winter start up" version of GTX which apparently had those 'bonding' esters added. Used the classic GTX white bottle but there was blue colouring in the label.. to go along with the winter theme. I forgot what it was called though.

Checked with the guy today, he's no longer got the vehicle...so no photos.

He did confierm that every time he had the top end open, there was nothing of note.

Shannow - thanks for the effort and info from your friend.

No probs...he offered oil fill hole pics of an SR-T 300C on M1 in a few years...now that he's a family guy and outgrown the Ute.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Originally Posted By: Imp4
If an infinite number of intellegent molecules sit at an infinite number of typewriters, will an intellegent molecule invariably write a Shakespearean play???

There’s only enough in 5 quarts for one article in National Enquirer …

some very funny stuff! lol

Magnatec along with Mobil Super is the cheapest non-Warren synthetic I see at the store, but if it was truly ester based or has some POE in it, when why is it cheap compared to M1/Edge/PP? Castrol was the first to use GIII base oils from what I've read here and most "synthetics" on the mass market except for some grades of M1 or Edge are GIIIs.

When I go to Walmart, some weights of Magnatec are synthetic and some are not. The 0w20 is synthetic, so I use it in my mom's 2011 Honda CRV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back