Cream-like oil in my bike, the cause?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only a few hundred miles from last change.

Can anyone kind to enlight on possible causes.
bad oil or what?

Thanks.

need some history here
Motorcycle brand, model, oil used, you the original owner?, any recent repair or maintenance, done by who?

looks like a coolant leak but hard to guess with so little info

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
need some history here
Motorcycle brand, model, oil used, you the original owner?, any recent repair or maintenance, done by who?

looks like a coolant leak but hard to guess with so little info

thats what i was thinking too...

it's a Suzuki 250cc, fatory fill oil, not my bike, probably no repair history.

Is it even water-cooled? If not, it sure looks like condensation like I had during the cold weather with no real warmup time. If so, change the oil and ride it much harder to get the oil up to temperature!

Yeah thats not a water cooled bike.

Looks like some moisture got into the crankcase and made some mayonnaise.

The goopy stuff is mostly in the area where the clutch would fling the oil outwards.

Make sure the oil filler cap seals tightly and ride the bike for longer or let it get hotter.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Yeah thats not a water cooled bike.

Looks like some moisture got into the crankcase and made some mayonnaise.

The goopy stuff is mostly in the area where the clutch would fling the oil outwards.

Make sure the oil filler cap seals tightly and ride the bike for longer or let it get hotter.

+1 ... Clean up the clutch cover and put new oil in. Also make sure the crankcase vent is working properly. Ride it a long time at full operating temperature. Change oil again to flush what you couldn't clean up with the cover off.

Originally Posted By: dole
it is water cooled engine.

If it's water cooled then look carefully for a coolant leak internal to the engine. Monitor the coolant level very carefully to start.

I had a Kawasaki ZX-11 that had a slow internal coolant leak from a damaged cylinder liner O-ring that caused coolant to leak down into the crankcase and the oil to look creamy. I could see it through the oil level sight glass.

Originally Posted By: Jooksing
I would guess a UOA would be best in figuring out water/coolant contamination.

Or pressure testing the cooling system in a situation like this if it were a water cooled engine. Results are just about instant.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Jooksing
I would guess a UOA would be best in figuring out water/coolant contamination.

Or pressure testing the cooling system in a situation like this if it were a water cooled engine. Results are just about instant.

Darn good point demarpaint. I sure wouldn't waste $30 to find out what a pressure tester can tell ya

Looks like coolant and oil mixture ...
in auto It's called strawberry milkshake when trans oil gets into radiator. In some cars radiator is used to cool the trans fluid.

Not suggesting trans fluid and coolant mixture in your case but coolant and engine oil mixture. It has the strawberry shake look ...

Along the way the op mentioned this was the factory fill. How old is this bike and is the warranty still active?

How is the bike ridden? Short trips where the oil never gets up to temperature and stays there for awhile?

A mechanical issue like coolant getting into the oil is rare, but should certainly be ruled out. I'd suspect lots of short trips, which never allows the oil to get up to operating temperature, resulting in the accumulation of moisture in the crankcase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back