3D pistons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link

Interesting, but my first thought is, what happens if the passageways get clogged up?

Looks like its an internal honeycomb type structure to reduce weight. I assume the pic is of a cutaway.

oil for cooling.
reduced weight and improved cooling.
win win.
Originally Posted By: CT8
What will the passageways pass?

Originally Posted By: kc8adu
oil for cooling.
reduced weight and improved cooling.
win win.
Originally Posted By: CT8
What will the passageways pass?

If they load up the passageways with oil, will it still be lighter? I'm guessing so, oil being less dense, but perhaps not as light as one might think.

interesting all the same.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
This is for weight reduction and it is a cutaway. I don't see it being a passageways.

The article mentions using those passageways for cooling, in a spot or two.

Quote:
Honeycomb lattice can make 3D-printed gasoline piston lightweight and strong, while integrating cooling channel near crown.

Quote:
...with 3D printing, a piston can be created one layer at a time through additive manufacturing, and a super-strong honeycomb lattice can replace the solid material, reducing mass about 25% while also optimizing the cooling of critical areas, reducing friction and parasitic losses and improving material properties 75% compared with traditional pistons.

Guessing they might have to pump oil up the rod in order to have full effect? I'm not sure how much they can scrape off the cylinder walls (which would be warm already).

I think the F1 guys have been doing this for a while, and also exploiting the ability to put the ideal alloy for each portion of the part they are making. 3D printing surely will be a game changer in manufacturing of many high performance types of equipment. Perhaps anything that is currently cast?

lots of air movement and oil mist in a running engine.
think liquid assisted heatsink.
the motion is the fan.
larger surface area to shed heat.
some gets transferred to the oil too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back