naturally aspirated cars left?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Besides the 2017/2018 Hyundai Elantra, what are the remaining main stream cars still with a naturally aspirated NON tubro, NON direct injection with a standard 6 speed auto transmission??
The tend is all turbo and DI these days and it seems, to me at least, that the new Elantra sticks out as a simpler engine that may indeed get trough a 10 year period with the least mechanical issues.

Thanks

And of course, there are rumblings that the Fusion might be on the chopping block. Apparently, it isn't worth the investment that an upgrade would require.

But Ford is making the effort to ship something as worthless as the EcoSquirt, all the way from India?

I'm liking the 2011 Ford Fusion 2.5 that Sis is driving. She's very pleased with it as well.

There are still plenty of mainstream, non-turbo, naturally aspirated petrol engined cars for sale in Europe. It's been a few years since I checked the numbers but I suspect it's still the case the bulk of these are manuals (what you call stick-shifts).

Speaking personally, I like my engines to be simple, cheap & reliable and shift the emphasis on improving performance & efficiency on to things like weight reduction.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Mazda with its skyactive technology...

IIRC, that's DI isn't it?
confused2.gif

It seems to me, that to stay NA you have to go for either really low end or high end vehicle models and/or trim.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
And of course, there are rumblings that the Fusion might be on the chopping block. Apparently, it isn't worth the investment that an upgrade would require.

But Ford is making the effort to ship something as worthless as the EcoSquirt, all the way from India?

I'm liking the 2011 Ford Fusion 2.5 that Sis is driving. She's very pleased with it as well.

They're probably looking at the numbers. I really like the way the Fusion looks, and the few times I've been in one they are really nice cars. If the Fusion sport came with an 8/10 speed or manual I'd probably have one now (or put my order in).

But the numbers say CUVs and SUVs are outselling cars. I see way more escapes than I do fusions.

Do they still make an NA honda civic?

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Mazda with its skyactive technology...

IIRC, that's DI isn't it?
confused2.gif

It seems to me, that to stay NA you have to go for either really low end or high end vehicle models and/or trim.

It’s GDI but naturally aspirated although that is changing quickly.

I thought the Fusion was safe but the Taurus was going to get axed. Seems like I remember hearing that somewhere.

Edit: Found it.

Linky

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

They're probably looking at the numbers. I really like the way the Fusion looks, and the few times I've been in one they are really nice cars. If the Fusion sport came with an 8/10 speed or manual I'd probably have one now (or put my order in).

But the numbers say CUVs and SUVs are outselling cars. I see way more escapes than I do fusions.

Do they still make an NA honda civic?

Last edited:
Dodge Caravan, if you must limit the number of gears to 6. I took the CVT plunge after driving my parents Forester, it just seems to work like I expect it to anyways, and it can be coaxed into some pretty good mileage numbers.
Also the V6 Outback is pure 2001 tech, including a timing belt unfortunately, and premium gas to get 73hp/L.

This whole thing about turbos and DI engines being reliable is blown out of proportions way too much. I would have no problems owning one for 10 years. My last car a 2012 Audi A6 which was supercharged and DI was one of the most reliable cars I have owned. If it wasn't for accident(s) I would prolly still be driving it. Had nearly 100,000 miles on it.

Originally Posted By: deven
This whole thing about turbos and DI engines being reliable is blown out of proportions way too much. I would have no problems owning one for 10 years. My last car a 2012 Audi A6 which was supercharged and DI was one of the most reliable cars I have owned. If it wasn't for accident(s) I would prolly still be driving it. Had nearly 100,000 miles on it.

I kind of expect my GTI to have some issues, but at over 110hp/liter its tuned more for performance. I'm not super worried about the turbo reliability... as long as its cared for and oil changes done on time. I think where people get into trouble with cars like this (turbo/di) is beating them like they beat cars their whole life and expecting them to run the same. Quality oils, fuels, and start up/ shut down procedures go a loooooong way in reliability of these machines.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Originally Posted By: deven

I kind of expect my GTI to have some issues, but at over 110hp/liter its tuned more for performance. I'm not super worried about the turbo reliability... as long as its cared for and oil changes done on time. I think where people get into trouble with cars like this (turbo/di) is beating them like they beat cars their whole life and expecting them to run the same. Quality oils, fuels, and start up/ shut down procedures go a loooooong way in reliability of these machines.

I had that same mentality, esp. after various discussions here on BITOG how Turbo's and DI have (turbo's in particular) "improved significantly" from the stuff in the 80's and 90's. I was optimistic, I really wanted to believe they were "better"

At my last job I left last Nov, I had a co-worker who was complaining about her 09 GTI. She said it was in the shop again after the engine and turbo failed when her husband took it on the highway to go skiing. It was always dealer maintained. After they got the repair bill, they promptly traded it in on a Mazda 3.
I congratulated her on going "turbo free"
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back