Replaced the high pressure fuel pump on my GTI

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife often uses my car for her business travels and she was coming home for the weekend on Friday from Fort Wayne, Indiana
when the check engine light came on and the car lost a lot of power.

The GTI has 126K on it. The engine is turbo direct injected.

She pulled into a gas station in Wapakoneta, got a hold of me at work.
I had her plug the bluetooth code reader in I keep in the center console, sync it to her phone and she texted back OBD code P0087.

I left work, did some quick Youtube/internet research and crossed my fingers the high pressure fuel pump went bad.
My car has two fuel pumps, one in the gas tank and one on the engine.

It apparently will run on the low pressure fuel pump in the gas tank, but at a huge reduction in power and it overworks that pump.

A local VW dealer had a fuel pump in stock. The fuel pump was revised by VW and I got the newest version for $286.
It took about 25 minutes to replace. Very easy job.

I inspected the roller lifter and it looked great. The previous generation GTI used a wear prone flat tappet to drive the fuel pump.

It took me 3 hours and 20 minutes to get up to her which sucked for both of us. But I fixed it and the car runs great.

Good news story, or as good as it gets for such a situation I guess.

I think it may need to be coded on my BMW, which seems ridiculous to me. This, while unfortunate, seems like no big deal.

Very impressive. Well done, sir. I'll bet your wife thinks you walk on water.

(You are going to post your experience and accomplishment on the V-Dub boards, yes?)

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Good news story, or as good as it gets for such a situation I guess.

I think it may need to be coded on my BMW, which seems ridiculous to me. This, while unfortunate, seems like no big deal.

I didn't need to code it.

Originally Posted By: Hounds
Very impressive. Well done, sir. I'll bet your wife thinks you walk on water.

(You are going to post your experience and accomplishment on the V-Dub boards, yes?)

I'm not active on VW boards. I was on NASIOC when I owned a WRX years ago.

Wife and I play a game called "Get me Home Robyn" I take her with me after a repair and she used to be a bit aprehensive about whether it would work or not. Always get her home but once in our 1987 Cabriolet the in tank fuel pump quit and I had to call for a tow.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
My wife often uses my car for her business travels and she was coming home for the weekend on Friday from Fort Wayne, Indiana
when the check engine light came on and the car lost a lot of power.

The GTI has 126K on it. The engine is turbo direct injected.

She pulled into a gas station in Wapakoneta, got a hold of me at work.
I had her plug the bluetooth code reader in I keep in the center console, sync it to her phone and she texted back OBD code P0087.

I left work, did some quick Youtube/internet research and crossed my fingers the high pressure fuel pump went bad.
My car has two fuel pumps, one in the gas tank and one on the engine.

It apparently will run on the low pressure fuel pump in the gas tank, but at a huge reduction in power and it overworks that pump.

A local VW dealer had a fuel pump in stock. The fuel pump was revised by VW and I got the newest version for $286.
It took about 25 minutes to replace. Very easy job.

I inspected the roller lifter and it looked great. The previous generation GTI used a wear prone flat tappet to drive the fuel pump.

It took me 3 hours and 20 minutes to get up to her which sucked for both of us. But I fixed it and the car runs great.

APR now has an upgraded HPFP for the 3rd gen EA888's.

Technically, you're right and wrong about the flat tappet.
MK5's GTI's with the EA113- BPY engine, that was 2 generations ago.
MK6's only the Golf R also got the EA113 engine. Regular GTI's got the 1st gen ea888, but that uses a roller follower

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Originally Posted By: Hounds
. . . You are going to post your experience and accomplishment on the V-Dub boards . . .

I'm not active on VW boards. I was on NASIOC when I owned a WRX years ago.

By sheer coincidence, this morning (4/24) a fellow asked for advice on vwvortex.com regarding a low fuel-pressure code on his Mk7 GTI. I linked him here.

And, while we are on the subject of V-Dub boards, for those who aren't familiar with them who may be looking for maintenance advice, etc., the other Mk7 GTI (and R) board is golfmk7.com.

Originally Posted by vwmaniaman
I take her with me after a repair and she used to be a bit aprehensive about whether it would work or not. .

I have found this is really necessary with most women. At the very least, you get some good points with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back