What filter for a 48re

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys recommend? It's in a 2004 dodge ram 5.9l cummins.

Thanks

Last edited:
Also, I'm thinking of adding a remote filter to the transmission to keep the fluid extra clean as from what I'm understanding the filter in the pan doesn't filter down like an oil filter. The truck has 75k on the odometer. I've only changed the transmission fluid once at 50k. I'm getting ready to do it again as the fluid is dirty. Am I overthinking this with wanting to add a remote filter kit? I only drive the truck about 7500 miles a year while towing a 5000 pound boat. I also have oversized 35 inch tires on it so it constantly sees a load from the tires. But I dont drive like a bat out of [censored] tearing up the truck. Better fluid change intervals or install a remote filter?

Thanks as always

You did fine with the OEM filter.

Regarding the remote filter, you'll get responses all over the map. I will say that if you're going to do it, you should consider a bypass filter teed into the output line to the cooler, instead of a full flow filter (where all fluid in the line is forced to go through the filter). Any add-on full flow filter has the potential to reduce flow, and that's a very bad thing. A bypass type filter installed by teeing into the output line has no potential to reduce flow at all.

That said, a cooler is probably more important than another filter. Unless you live in an arctic environment, it's almost not possible to cool transmission fluid too much. Do you have a transmission fluid temp gauge? If not, install one--it'll be an eye opener.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back