DexOS in a 2005 Cavalier LS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 cavalier LS (2.2 EcoTec)
I got it with just under 82k on it & have been using 4 quarts Castrol 5w-30 full-synthetic + 1 bottle Lucas full synthetic + a K&N oil filter since I got it.
When I hit 105k I switched to Castrol High Milage, while still using Lucas & K&N filter.
I'm now up to nearly 126k & looking for advice to keep it running clean & efficient.

I've been curious about DexOS & if it would work in my car?
Additionally, if it does work, would there be any benefits, draw-backs, or other things I need to know?
Also, would using a bottle of Lucas with it, work any better or worse?

I'm curious on this, because I drive roughly 90 miles round-trip for work & typically hit stop-n-go traffic on the way home...
So I'm looking for the best oil / care for my engine.

I really like my mix of Castrol & Lucas, but curious about DexOS, as I don't know much about it.

Firstly, do not use LUCAS. That stuff is snake oil, it actually over thickens your oil and dilutes quality oil, which actually hurts gas mileage and causes more cold start wear.

You don't need to do anything special for that car, it is super easy on oil, just run any 5w30 API SN oil you will be fine. Dexos is just a certification and means the oil is a held to a higher testing standard, so use a Dexos 5w30 if you want.

I would probably just run an inexpensive synthetic like Supertech synthetic 5w30 or whatever you want if you want to spend a few more bucks. I am partial to pennzoil products too, they're really good.

Also ditch the K&N filter, they are not as good as they used to be, use a Tough Guard or OEM.

Engine oil will be the least of your problems with this car as long as you keep it changed and full, you should probably focus some attention to transmission fluid if you want to keep it awhile.

Owning two Ecotecs (actually 3 if you count my cobalt) on my 2003 and 2004 Cavaliers, I can tell you they will run on darn near anything! ( and be happy with it! Dexos won't hurt it a bit-it won't even notice the difference. Both run on dexos synthetic oil-and that's since it's been out-and not a worry in the world. Not even sweating the gen 2 dexos either....sure they will be even happier with that extra shot of moly...
cool.gif

And agreeing with 901...Lucas is useless, and the K&N doesn't do a darn thing either...better if you got a high flow paper one...

Otherwise, use some top tier gas and enjoy....

welcome2.gif

There is nothing wrong with using dexos at all. In fact, if you've been using Castrol full synthetic, you already use dexos
smile.gif

However, the Lucas is worthless at best and harmful at worst. There won;t be any improvement by using it.

For the oil filter, ONLY use Hengst, Mann, or Purflux. The OEM ACDelco is Hengst. Most aftermarket oil filters for the Ecotec are poorly designed or poorly manufactured.

What is your OCI? Do you go by the OLM? What does it suggest?

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
welcome2.gif

There is nothing wrong with using dexos at all. In fact, if you've been using Castrol full synthetic, you already use dexos
smile.gif

However, the Lucas is worthless at best and harmful at worst. There won;t be any improvement by using it.

For the oil filter, ONLY use Hengst, Mann, or Purflux. The OEM ACDelco is Hengst. Most aftermarket oil filters for the Ecotec are poorly designed or poorly manufactured.

What is your OCI? Do you go by the OLM? What does it suggest?

Not so sure about the filter part...though it could depend of the filter number too....

I mostly use Delco ones myself, but have used Wix and Fram filters with no issues as well. Even had to settle for a cheaper private branded puro on my balt's last change because the delco filter I brought was broken..(too cold to change the oil myself)...and even that one is doing pretty well-though it get changed soon too....

Though I too avoid the real cheapies.....

You might want to change the timing chain tensioner on that engine. An upgraded part #12608580 became available around 2008. Listen for the timing chain rattling, especially on start-up. If the engine is quiet, no hurry to change it.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Firstly, do not use LUCAS. That stuff is snake oil, it actually over thickens your oil and dilutes quality oil, which actually hurts gas mileage and causes more cold start wear.

Good to know.
I will look away from Lucas then.

You should probably focus some attention to transmission fluid if you want to keep it awhile.

I had a new filter / fluid in my trans at 107k, went to GM dealer to do it, so they used OEM fluid.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
...better if you got a high flow paper one...

Can you suggest anything specific?

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted By: GMWeber

NAPA Gold for your application.

Is that with the DexOS, or my current setup?

Cause I'd like to switch to DexOS.
Also, fwiw, I shop at Advanced Auto.

The oil filter choice isn't super important, you can pick whatever you want at advance with the oil change special. The K&N are good filters but not as good at trapping small wear particles as others m The best information we have puts the K&N around 85% efficient at 20 microns, they used to be 95% before they outsourced to Mexico for manufacturing. Compare that to a Fram Tough Guard which is 99% efficient or a standard Wix which is 95% efficient. The Fram Ultra is practically 99.9% at that size.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
...better if you got a high flow paper one...

Napa Golds are fine...

Honestly I've had good luck with the ol' Delco or Frams...

Compare that to a Fram Tough Guard which is 99% efficient or a standard Wix which is 95% efficient. The Fram Ultra is practically 99.9% at that size.

Really? I always thought From was junk!?
Hmm... Learned something new today.

Is there any posts here about filter comparisons?
Also, is there any difference in mine, since it's an internal filter?

Last edited:
Smart to use a High Mileage (HM) style oil to keep the seals conditioned.
Smart to think of dexos1 as a higher standard you can go to.
The only HM & dexos1 oil combined is Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic 5w30, a good choice for this application.
Lucas is useless.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Smart to think of dexos1 as a higher standard you can go to.
The only HM & dexos1 oil combined is Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic 5w30, a good choice for this application.
Lucas is useless.

Yeah, I'm going to shy away from Lucas now, thanks for the heads up everyone!

As for Valvoline, I've never really liked their oil.

What about Castrol H/M Edge?
A tech at my work (Manheim Auctions) swears by it & says it's the best.

As for Valvoline, I've never really liked their oil.
I wouldn't know why. Its perfectly qualified oil. Works well. They added titanium to their Valvoline Full Syn flavor (might not be in their HM full syn though, not sure).

What about Castrol H/M Edge? A tech at my work (Manheim Auctions) swears by it & says it's the best.
Castrol Edge HM is decent. Its not dexos1 Gen2 qualified though, so we don't know if it handles timing chain wear properly, and all the other dexos1 Gen2 tests which make it the higher standard for ILSAC-class oils. ........When a technician says this or that about oils, I seriously doubt they really know. It sounds like emotion. Facts & evidence prove otherwise when people have loose opinions based on nothing.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
...When a technician says this or that about oils, I seriously doubt they really know. It sounds like emotion. Facts & evidence prove otherwise when people have loose opinions based on nothing.

This is why I came here.
To ask questions & learn things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back