Mix of 33 oils VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a mixture of 33 oils. Each oil was mixed in at the rate of 300ml (10oz) and oils ranged from 0w20 to 10w60, Conventional starting at Group II to Synthetics in Group V, PAO and Ester-based oils included. Ending viscosity after the mixing ended up being close to 0w30.

Not enough oils, zip on Ti and near zip on Na, gotta do better
laugh.gif

Super confusing though, with 2.5K ppm of Ca the TBN is a modest 7, and Zn to P ratio looks to be wildly different from what I am used to seeing. Should we expect a UOA to follow?

Originally Posted By: Imp4
Originally Posted By: Vladiator
This is a mixture of 33 oilsoils.

Why?

Because he didn't have 34?

He'll have ended up with 9.9 litres though, so he's probably planning to do something with it.

Ending viscosity after the mixing ended up being close to 0w30.

How do you ascertain that ?

It's almost certainly not a 0W...would well be 5W, or 10W 30....maybe even a 15W30.

I did not do this VOA. The 0w30 figure is what the lab said. According to that lab from all the oils they have tested this mixture was closest to a 0w30 in performance. UOA link is below. Just goes to show that mixing oils of different manufacturers and different viscosities won't hurt your engine with normal OCIs.

UOA is posted here:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4735445/S/C_Range_Rover,_5000kms_33_di#Post4735445

Originally Posted By: Ducked

Why?

He'll have ended up with 9.9 litres though, so he's probably planning to do something with it.
Oil went into a Range Rover Sport with a Supercharged V8. Oil capacity of that engine is around 8L, so owner just kept the remaining 2L for top-off.

New discoveries only happen by Trial&Error. That was basically the purpose of this experiment. Believe it or not - but there are people out there who are willing to experiment and risk their money and equipment.

Originally Posted By: Ducked

Why?

Oil went into a Range Rover Sport with a Supercharged V8. Oil capacity of that engine is around 8L, so owner just kept the remaining 2L for top-off.

Reassuring that he's going to be topping off with the same oil. Some people are pretty casual about just mixing any old thing in.

Just goes to show that mixing oils of different manufacturers and different viscosities won't hurt your engine with normal OCIs.

Not even slightly. It shows you can get a VOA done on a mixture of oils.

If you run it and have no detectable adverse effects, it STILL won't show the above, because (a) there may be undetected effects, and (b) you may not have hit on one of the combinations that produce adverse effects.

IF adverse effects are relatively rare and proportional to the amount of the negatively interacting components, both of which seem reasonable speculations, I'd further speculate that with so many components you'll have (a) increased the chance of getting them (good "experimentally") but reduced the chance of detecting them (bad "experimentally"), due to dilution.

Experimenting can be fun. I'd say this one is likely to be rather difficult to interpret, and I wonder if a Range Rover Sport might be rather too big a Guinea Pig.

Last edited:
New discoveries only happen by Trial&Error. That was basically the purpose of this experiment. Believe it or not - but there are people out there who are willing to experiment and risk their money and equipment.

I'm sorry, he's not traversing a massive body of water to discover somebody else's land 300 years ago, nor is this some major cosmic breakthrough. What, prey tell, does one hope to "discover" by mixing miscible oils together other than surprise that nothing blew up?

The feigned offence taken by the apparent lack of appreciation for this "test" implies that the bar set for what constitutes valuable experimentation is set pretty low. You are receiving the responses you have because the results are readily predictable not because BITOG lacks a profound appreciation for the advancement of science.

I did not do this VOA. The 0w30 figure is what the lab said. According to that lab from all the oils they have tested this mixture was closest to a 0w30 in performance.

By performance, unless they specifically tested CCS and MRV, that data is useless as to the W rating of the final blend.

KV40 of 67, and VI of 158 could (as I said) be 0W, 5W, 10W, and possible 15W 30s.

Almost definitely NOT 0W30 based on the provided data...especially if 10W60 was a part of the mix.

Thank you fellas, appreciate the responses, good or bad. As I said - I did not do these tests. I'm just a messenger, someone else did it, and I decided to share it on BITOG for S&G.
I am not proposing that this oil mix is suddenly the best performing oil in the world. All I get from it is that even though there was such a huge variety of additive packages and different oil bases - in the end the person still ended up with a serviceable oil that did it's job well enough to protect a forced-induction high performance engine for a certain period of time/miles.

P.S. And as far as 0W30 rating - I can only pass on the message that was received from those who analyze petroleum oils for living. I am not saying they are 100% correct, and I am not saying you are 100% correct. I'm just passing on the info on an oil board.

P.S. And as far as 0W30 rating - I can only pass on the message that was received from those who analyze petroleum oils for living. I am not saying they are 100% correct, and I am not saying you are 100% correct. I'm just passing on the info on an oil board.

Unless they specifically tested MRV and CCS, then they cannon say at all what "W" grading it is.

As you've used everything, including 10W60, we can much more confidently say it's not 0W anything.

Knowing that it's NOT 0W30 does not mean that I can tell you whether it's 0W, 5W, or 15W.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by Vladiator

Why?

Every time I change oil whether it's for myself or for someone else, I drain the extra 1/2 quart into a larger container. After dozens of oil changes guess what, you're going to have a good mixture of different oils. Right now I have a full jug of 0w20-5w20-5w30. All full synthetic but some high mileage and some not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back