White List?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a banner at the top of my BITOG forum board stating that if I want to see ads or something like that, to go to my ad blocker and white list something. How do I go to ad blocker on my computer to white list the ads? I am very confused.
confused2.gif

You have to open your adblocker program and usually there is a menu for whitelisting. What that means is you will allow your adblocker program to not block the ads for that particular website, in this case BITOG.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
There is a banner at the top of my BITOG forum board stating that if I want to see ads or something like that, to go to my ad blocker and white list something. How do I go to ad blocker on my computer to white list the ads? I am very confused.
confused2.gif

It just showed up again;

Like BITOG?

If you don't mind oil-related ads, and want to keep us running, whitelist BobisTheOilGuy in your ad blocker.

Thank you!

Originally Posted By: PimTac
You have to open your adblocker program and usually there is a menu for whitelisting. What that means is you will allow your adblocker program to not block the ads for that particular website, in this case BITOG.

Where do you find your ad blocker?
21.gif

For Adblock Plus all you have to do is click on the stop sign icon and select disable for this site. I've been using it for years and I, too, saw that text replacing the banner ad for the first time today.

I never knew "whitelisting" was a thing
confused2.gif

So if something is "whitelisted" it's a good thing, whereas "blacklisted" is a bad thing?
Do I have this correct?

I have an adblocker (Ublock Origin) because I detest these ads, and they distract me. I donate to sites that I feel are worthy my time and money (this is one of them).

Is there a way for this site not to display this for folks who donate? My donations (not that I'm a millionaire or anything) have to be worth more to the site, than the few pennies they could have gotten from my viewing their ads.

Now that I think about it, honestly I'd prefer that nobody have to see that--even if they don't donate and do surf with an adblocker. But still, it would be nice to have an opt-out for donors.

Last edited:
All,

The costs of running BITOG are entirely funded with the ads we display when someone comes to our site. The philosophy here is to keep the site absolutely as clean of ads as possible. BITOG almost always has a grand total of one banner displaying at a time. We require that the banner be good looking, not distracting, no auto-play audio or video, and no growables. I've visited forums that have 50 or 60 ads being displayed at the same time and frankly, that's just ugly and makes the site unusable. We will never do that to BITOG.

If you have a ad blocker installed, please consider whitelisting BITOG and displaying the ad.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: wwillson
All,

The costs of running BITOG are entirely funded with the ads we display when someone comes to our site. The philosophy here is to keep the site absolutely as clean of ads as possible. BITOG almost always has a grand total of one banner displaying at a time. We require that the banner be good looking, not distracting, no auto-play audio or video, and no growables. I've visited forums that have 50 or 60 ads being displayed at the same time and frankly, that's just ugly and makes the site unusable. We will never do that to BITOG.

If you have a ad blocker installed, please consider whitelisting BITOG and displaying the ad.

Wayne

I figured it out. DONE!
thumbsup2.gif

Hi Wayne … always figured that … corporate money is significant and part of life, not some monsters like the press makes out … they are pensioners for the very folks who bash them (no, I have a mutual fund, right?) … that’s why I sometimes respond to shots at “marketing” … the way I see it if Mobil comes out with a new product the first one to buy it is Castrol or other way around… I find out about new technology all the time via marketing … BUT, technology is “applied science” … our part is to be application specific …

Originally Posted By: wwillson
All,

Wayne

If that's the limit, I'll whitelist.

I'd consider white listing if there was a true mobile browser version of BITOG.

The Desktop layout is pretty bad for Mobile use.

I wont whitelist the "video" ads bring my phone to a crawl.

if they were just static images I would try it.

Also the new top of the page is annoying. Making the forums start 1/2 down on the monitor due to the double banner.

I'd consider donating if donation got it removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back