High Mileage ATF D&F

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve got a 2000 Ford Explorer as a winter beater, it’s at 155k.

I was wanting to change the atf and filter, but I’m aware that doing that with a high mileage transmission that’s never had the fluid changed before can be opening a can of worms and create problems that weren’t there before.

I bought it at 120k, and I’m fairly sure the old owner never changed it.

Opinions? Thoughts? I’d be using merc V.

Originally Posted By: FriboRage
...but I’m aware that doing that with a high mileage transmission that’s never had the fluid changed before can be opening a can of worms and create problems that weren’t there before.
Opinions? Thoughts? I’d be using merc V.

It's an old wive's tale.

Go ahead and change it.

While there is a chance, I think it's a small one that doing a pan drop on a transmission that's working properly will cause any problems. I've done it on multiple different vehicles with no ill effects.

Which transmission does the Explorer have? If it is the 4R70W there is only one filter option. If it is the 5R55 there are a couple options depending on the tag number on the transmission.

Do a pan dump and filter change, fill it, run it for 50 miles, then do a 100% flush through the radiator cooler line and call it done. The 50 miles with the 1/2 fill of new ATF will do some cleaning action and then you want to get what it cleaned out, out of there. I myself would do 2 100% ers. Cheap insurance and cheap in price if you use common ATF and not Amsoil or Redline.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
And you don't need a High Mileage ATF.

High Mileage ATF's are purely marketing.

What he said. However, I like what Lubegard red did for my Cadillac...shifts much smoother than Valvoline DexVI alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back