Difference between M1 delvac ESP 5W40 and M1 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
>Another M1 clinic thread
I know promotional and marketing literature is sparse to non-existent on Exonn oil products (do they even have a website?). Basically ESP was formulated by psychics, and this special formulation allows the oil to remote view and sense spirits that have passed on. If you're driving to a seance, you'll want ESP in your engine.

Originally Posted By: car51
Dad asked about this as he doesnt have computer or internet

Thank You in advance

The only M1 5w40 I have used is Formula M … hard to find and priced more than 0w40 …
Are we talking Delvac 1 for the 5w40?

Seems D1 is mixed BO (some PAO) and M1 0w40 is GTL

Last edited:
ESP = Emissions System Protection = Low SAPS

I actually like haviing ZDDP and Phosphorus in my oil as anti-wear additives.

I prefer to not use low-SAPS oils if I can help it.

Originally Posted By: 4WD

Thank You in advance

The only M1 5w40 I have used is Formula M … hard to find and priced more than 0w40 …

Never heard of Formula M

All i see is M1 TDT 5W40. Rural King had M1 TDT for $20.99 so dad bought max he could for rebate
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Dad plans to use the TDT 5W40 in his 80's Dodge diesel P/U. Thanks

Originally Posted By: 4WD

Thank You in advance

Never heard of Formula M

All i see is M1 TDT 5W40. Rural King had M1 TDT for $20.99 so dad bought max he could for rebate
smile.gif

Dad plans to use the TDT 5W40 in his 80's Dodge diesel P/U. Thanks

See amcguru in this thread

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4732228/Searchpage/1/Main/287728/Words/Formula+M/Search/true/Re:_2005_MB_E500_Mobil_1_0w-40#Post4732228

Again, many of us have used every major brand on the planet, well almost...I 've ever blown an engine yet...

ExxonMobil still hasn't made the PDS for the CK-4 version of Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck available to the public. But I'm sure that it's low SAPS. The big difference between ESP and TDT used to be that ESP was low SAPS and TDT wasn't. Now that they're both low SAPS (I assume) I'm not sure what the major difference is other than price.

I'm going to ding you again on this, since I didn't get an answer in the other thread. What CJ-4 and/or CK-4 E7, E9 lubricant out there has a higher SA than Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40? And yes, this is a trick question.

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
ExxonMobil still hasn't made the PDS for the CK-4 version of Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck available to the public. But I'm sure that it's low SAPS. The big difference between ESP and TDT used to be that ESP was low SAPS and TDT wasn't. Now that they're both low SAPS (I assume) I'm not sure what the major difference is other than price.

I don't think that's true. TDT and ESP were both CJ-4 so the SAPS was capped at 1.0% for both. I think ESP had more magnesium in the formula but the additive levels were similar like the Sulfated Ash.

The CJ-4 TDT was Visom based and ESP primarily used PAO as a base oil.

You are exactly right, and on all points. That was the trap. Every HDEO out there that is CJ-4 or newer has an SA at that limit. Even the E6 versions out there still bump at that 1.0 limit. The "lowest" I've ever seen reported is 0.99.

Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 is no more "low SAPS" than every other modern HDEO out there on the shelf. Even a cursory examination of data sheets, let alone the relevant API and ACEA specs, would demonstrate this.

TDT and Delvac 1 diverged at the rollout of CJ-4, but, as you point out, had absolutely nothing to do with SA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back