Sparkplug Critique for lawnmower

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s Sunday morning so grab a coffee and tell me about these spark plugs. The plugs are from two self propelled walk behind mowers. Both are Honda GCV 160 engines. The top picture is a NGK BPR6ES about 5 years old on a 15 year old engine. The lower plug is a NGK BPR5ES on a 1 year old engine. The very bottom shot is the upper part of the BPR5ES. Let’s have a diagnosis please.
whistle.gif

Last edited:
Both engines are running fine from what I see.

Maybe a little lean....

but the "old school" way of "reading" sparkplugs doesn't apply
to modern engines and fuels anymore.

Clean burning engines and unleaded fuels = very clean spark plugs

Looks good, but does it run good? Most lawn mowers co. Say change once a year perhaps to avoid dissatisfied customers with hard starts and make a little more money on OEM part sales. I don't know, if internal spark plug materials break down faster with mowers due to heat or rpm use? You don't fix what is running well DCG had to learn that the hard way. I usually break more than I fix and it takes longer to fix . Now that I am older,wiser, have money to let the professionals fix it, I am happier, have more time and energy to do other things, I'll be poorer but happier
From the downhill side of life experience DCG

Top plug looks like the engine is using a bit of oil, but its not fouled. There is carbon higher on the threads than i would have expected, was the plug loose?
Bottom plug looks clean, The porcelain is so white that i agree with Linctex, a bit lean.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Top plug looks like the engine is using a bit of oil, but its not fouled. There is carbon higher on the threads than i would have expected, was the plug loose?
Bottom plug looks clean, The porcelain is so white that i agree with Linctex, a bit lean.

Thanks, I’m wondering if Honda wants them to burn lean? Also, both mowers run well. I wasn’t changing oil on the old one every year, just when I felt sorry for it.
frown.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Hard to believe the Honda GCV engine has been around so long. The old one has a manual choke and the new one has an automatic choke.

I have a pressure washer (last year, new model) and found Husq rear drive (maybe 3yr)? Just needed a carb cleaning and some TLC, owners left it on the curb.
PW is manual, Mower is automatic.

I bought a used 9 year old honda gcv160 powered push mower a few weeks ago. Change the oil and spark plug for the first time (previous owner said both origional) and the plug looked pretty identical to both of those. Little black on the first few threads. Mower started on first pull and still does. Runs no different on new oil and plug and filter. These are tough engines. Require almost nothing but gas and will always start on the first pull.

Thanks, I’m wondering if Honda wants them to burn lean? Also, both mowers run well. I wasn’t changing oil on the old one every year, just when I felt sorry for it.
frown.gif

All modern OPE engines are set to run lean to meet emissions standards.

The plugs look fine. Put them back and get to work!

Originally Posted By: boraticus

frown.gif

All modern OPE engines are set to run lean to meet emissions standards.

The plugs look fine. Put them back and get to work!

Oh yes, i'd keep using those, check gap. OPE just does not usually wear plugs that much.

Here’s the top of the piston of my Honda 160. Ten years and used fuel additives every time. I did fill the cylinder with power foam to clean it up some. Now it seams to run a little bit better than before.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977

Here’s the top of the piston of my Honda 160. Ten years and used fuel additives every time. I did fill the cylinder with power foam to clean it up some. Now it seams to run a little bit better than before.

Do you ever get it good and hot? Almost looks like it sees a lot of short running use.

I own a '96 Toyota pickup. Twenty two years old with over 100K miles running original plugs.

I get the same mileage today as I did when it was brand new. Way too much obsessing over spark plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back