How to read date code on the battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi friends.
I am planning to buy a new battery.
My question is, how important the battery production date is ? Does it degrade by the time even if it is not used?
And can you please help me decode the date code ?
Battery brand name is "Solite", which is OEM supplier for Hyundai's

Regards

The mold marks are June 6 of some year, maybe it was only last year.

There is no round sticker?

Yes batteries degrade even when not used, especially if they aren't kept charged.

Last edited:
The two dials tell us that the battery was made on June 7th. That is odd that they would use dials to indicate the month and day, but not have a dial for the year. The CY207 could be telling them a number of things, such as the production line, the battery model, and yes, the date of manufacture. Since batteries only last a few years, it seems likely that they would use only a single character to identify the year of manufacture. And it could be none of these. Perhaps it is an inspector's stamp.

If this is the factory install battery, it shouldn't be too hard to determine year. Look at the sticker on the inside of the driver's door to determine the month and year of when your car was assembled. It is pretty safe to assume that the battery was manufactured on the June 7th that preceded the date on the door.

Unfortunately i couldn't find any other sticker.
Thanks for replies
smile.gif

factory sealed batteries deteriorate if a charge is not kept up, batteries shipped dry without acid are good until they are activated + charged aka acid added. fresher is better for sure + thats why some new batteries die in a shorter time than they should. YEARS ago i got 3 yes 3 [censored] top line DIE HARD's from a sears catalog store, being an odd slow selling size they prolly sat on the shelf a while + DISCHARGING slowly died a slow death. they replaced 2 + i got my $$$ for the third + bought elsewhere!! i noticed just a small date sticker 2 years ago on a new napa battery i bought which could be put on at sale time or when acid was added. some motorcycle batteries ship dry with premeasured acid packs + instructions for charging, seems buying acid itself is not so common as i seen some e-bay dry batteries without noted acid packs.

Last edited:
those dials only tell when the case was molded.
the burn code is what we need to decode.
Originally Posted By: BHopkins
The two dials tell us that the battery was made on June 7th. That is odd that they would use dials to indicate the month and day, but not have a dial for the year. The CY207 could be telling them a number of things, such as the production line, the battery model, and yes, the date of manufacture. Since batteries only last a few years, it seems likely that they would use only a single character to identify the year of manufacture. And it could be none of these. Perhaps it is an inspector's stamp.

If this is the factory install battery, it shouldn't be too hard to determine year. Look at the sticker on the inside of the driver's door to determine the month and year of when your car was assembled. It is pretty safe to assume that the battery was manufactured on the June 7th that preceded the date on the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back