K&N Air Filter for FJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll get 100 NOs. They flow more by being less restrictive and letting more dirt through. I did run one in Pa but the car never left the pavement and with the high humidity/low dust I thought it OK. In the southwest no way. The gains are all at high RPMs anyway.

Thanks much. This vehicle doesn't spend any time at all in the higher RPM range but it does get its share of very dirty air. I will stick with the stock filter.

Originally Posted By: CCI
Would a K&N air filter be an improvement over stock Toyota air filter for FJ Cruiser?

It would not be an improvement.

Excellent filter for someone who doesn't want to put more plastic into landfills. It filters just fine, maybe not as well as top-end paper, but your car won't know the difference. Over the years the few UOA I've done have shown Silicon numbers to be a wash between the two, K&N at most showing 2 to 3 ppm more (Data). So if the best filter, showing 98% efficiency vs a K&N showing 96% doesn't bother you...go for it.

How did you use them Wemay, on road or off? In the SW you can encounter miles and miles and miles of talcum powder dust off roading. The way to go here is more filtering efficiency than stock, not less.

The OP didn't define what "improvement" means to him.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
How did you use them Wemay, on road or off? In the SW you can encounter miles and miles and miles of talcum powder dust off roading. The way to go here is more filtering efficiency than stock, not less.

The OP didn't define what "improvement" means to him.

Yeah, strictly daily driver on-road use in the same high humidity environment as you. If not a little hotter and wetter. If the OP meant for off-road use, my apologies for changing the context.

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

I've noticed a remarkable increase in fuel economy with a more frequent than recommended air filter change. When I bought this it had just under 100K miles and although it had been serviced at a dealership regularly, it had not been particularly well maintained.

I put spark plugs and a new air filter in it at about 100K and it went from 17.5 maybe 18 mpg up to a little better than 19. I recently ran a bottle of Techron through when the gas tank was low, switched to Mobil1 synthetic, put a new air filter in, and this thing is getting an honest 21 mpg, which seems like too much of an improvement to be real, but it is.

Protection of the engine is top priority, but it also looks like I'm going to be buying filters more often than I thought.

Seems like what you've done is working just fine. I'd continue along that path too. Glad you found a process that works for you.

No improvement whatsoever, only if your willing to spend a weekend downing a case of beer waiting for your filter to dry after washing it.

Stick with the traditional drop-in style and if your wanting performance gains install a throttle-body spacer and computer programmer "jet or hypertech"

Stock is perfect for dirty conditions. Unless you’ve got it modded to 500hp with a supercharger, a high flow filter isn’t going to do anything for you.

K&N filters are like rock catchers. The stock filter is like a HEPA filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back