Magnatec - intelligent molecules?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in Canada, never seen Magnatec on the shelf, but I do remember discussion maybe a decade back that it's whole deal was an extra shot of esters.

What does Castrol marketing mean by "intelligent" molecules? Does the polarity of ester additives impart intellect, or something?

Ha,Ha, intelligent molecues
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Does the polarity of ester additives impart intellect, or something?

Yes!!
Definitely intellect!!

If an infinite number of intellegent molecules sit at an infinite number of typewriters, will an intellegent molecule invariably write a Shakespearean play???

Originally Posted By: Imp4
If an infinite number of intellegent molecules sit at an infinite number of typewriters, will an intellegent molecule invariably write a Shakespearean play???

There’s only enough in 5 quarts for one article in National Enquirer …

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/123648/Re:_Castrol_Magnatec...plot_th#Post123648

Originally Posted By: oilmansi
I have a chemical report on Magnatec 10w-40 done in 1996 and it contains the following comments:

Quote:

A conventional mineral based multigrade with some synthetic content. (note that the sample fails the 10W cold crank test.) wear performance is average.

The ‘Magnetic molecules’ marketing hype refers to the electrostatic, (not magnetic) alignment of ester molecules at a metal surface. All motor oils containing significant amounts of the correct types of ester exhibit this phenomenon.

Unquote:

In conclusion, it's (or was in 1996) a mineral basestock with some ester added to give it the "magnetic" claim.

Cheers
Simon

Originally Posted By: Imp4

These aren’t [censored] dirty apes! An infinite number of Castol molecules only need half as many!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Castrol calls Magnatec a Full Synthetic. 1996 was a long time ago, so they've probably changed the formula some since then. Did bottles of Magnatec say Full Synthetic on the bottles back in 1996?

https://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-sta...-motor-oil.html

Wasn't the Green Jugs of Magnatec a Synthetic Blend until just a few years ago? I've got a couple of the FULL Synthetic 5-30 for the Ranger and Slingshot bought recently from Wally.

Last edited:
A test was given to all oil brand molecules a while back and Magnatec aced the test.

Year and Years ago, I had a dinner with Castrol, and spent the night chatting to one of the chemists involved in the testing of Magnatec (he was also a prestidigitator ... was a fun night).

He wouldn't be drawn on the UMA (Unique Molecular Attractant) being an ester, but smiled. Magnatec has been marketted in Oz as having "esters".

Their back to back testing (Castrol's) in a test engine was M1 5W50 (yes, Castrol's testing), flushing oil, Magnatec, flushing oil, and M1 again. He stated that of course they went through the tests pretty quickly, but the UMA carried through into the flushing oil AND the book end M1 test.

Member bobbydavro has worked on both Magnatec and "Titan"...the next version of it used in Edge.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Here in Canada, never seen Magnatec on the shelf, but I do remember discussion maybe a decade back that it's whole deal was an extra shot of esters.

What does Castrol marketing mean by "intelligent" molecules? Does the polarity of ester additives impart intellect, or something?

PP, I had been using this oil in 5W30 wt. before I switched to a 0W40 oil. It made my engine run very quiet. I thought it was more quiet on the Magnatec, but it's A LOT more quiet on the 0W40.
If it were available in Canada, would you use it?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Year and Years ago, I had a dinner with Castrol, and spent the night chatting to one of the chemists involved in the testing of Magnatec (he was also a prestidigitator ... was a fun night).

He wouldn't be drawn on the UMA (Unique Molecular Attractant) being an ester, but smiled. Magnatec has been marketted in Oz as having "esters".

Their back to back testing (Castrol's) in a test engine was M1 5W50 (yes, Castrol's testing), flushing oil, Magnatec, flushing oil, and M1 again. He stated that of course they went through the tests pretty quickly, but the UMA carried through into the flushing oil AND the book end M1 test.

Member bobbydavro has worked on both Magnatec and "Titan"...the next version of it used in Edge.

And good for cars that sit for a bit (love the cling tech for it). Buddy of mine runs it in his third car (Pontiac G5) and loves the stuff. Will be heading into my Cavalier, which runs 2-3 times a week.....

Anyone here been running Magnatec for a long time? Wondering if it keeps everything nice and clean in an already clean engine, and doesn't varnish and leave any brown coating on parts. I've used Mobil 1 forever in the Z06, and under the valve covers looks brand new.

I'm not sure these molecules can be called 'intelligent' when heavy esters are by definition, 'a bit thick', as well as being denser than your average hydrocarbon.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Anyone here been running Magnatec for a long time? Wondering if it keeps everything nice and clean in an already clean engine, and doesn't varnish and leave any brown coating on parts. I've used Mobil 1 forever in the Z06, and under the valve covers looks brand new.

Z06, are you considering using this oil in your 'Vette? Or, one of your other vehicles?

Magnatec 10W40 is likely the most sold individual oil in OZ. (it's prominent, the most regularly discounted, and covers adequately just about everything on the road)...It's sold as a regular oil, not syn.

Guy in town has a Falcon XR-6 Ute with centrifugal supercharger, and 356 at the wheels (KW).

Uses that oil exclusively, and has done for yonks.

Will try and hit him up for a fill hole pic.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Magnatec 10W40 is likely the most sold individual oil in OZ. (it's prominent, the most regularly discounted, and covers adequately just about everything on the road)...It's sold as a regular oil, not syn.

Guy in town has a Falcon XR-6 Ute with centrifugal supercharger, and 356 at the wheels (KW).

Uses that oil exclusively, and has done for yonks.

Will try and hit him up for a fill hole pic.

Speaking of superchargers, how did you like that HOLLYWOODED WEIAND "part-time" supercharger that MAD MAX had? I am still searching for the kit to make a supercharger turn off/on at the flick of a switch!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back