Do I really need iridium spark plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my car is due for plugs, and the stock replacement iridium and CA emissions specific plugs are $15 each, even from discount sites. However, there are alternative platinums (which are also NGK just like OEM) for only $5 each.

I know iridium lasts longer than platinum, but I don’t plan on owning my car for 100k more miles anyway. So would I be sacrificing any actual performance by switching to the cheaper platinum plug? If the only difference means getting 60 or 70 thousand miles out of them instead of 100 then I would rather just save the $60.

See if you can get platinum plugs for a decent price-- those generally last 60-100k or so, and will save the future owner the hassle of having to replace plugs after 36k if you use cheap copper plugs.

If you have the vehicle in your sig, those plugs are notoriously easy to replace if it's anything like the J35 V6 in my Odyssey. I use copper plugs and replace every 36k, because the spark plug switchout takes 10 minutes. I don't know how stuffed the engine bay is in an Accord though.

I put copper (autolite 3923) in my 2AZFE camry that calls for Iridiums. Things are fine. Access for me is super easy. How is your V6?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I wouldn't even replace the plugs if you're not having an issue with misfires or emissions.

There seems to be a lot of wisdom in this ^^^

I am hearing it more and more often - if everything is working fine,
there isn't anything to be gained by switching them out.

Standard plugs (I hate when they're called "copper") often work just as well until the edges start wearing down. So they can work quite well if they're replaced more often. The electrodes are usually some nickel alloy. Copper is used in the core, but platinum/iridium plugs use copper cores too.

Quote:
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/about-ngk/spark-plug-101/5-things-you-should-know-about-spark-plugs
“Copper spark plugs” is a term mistakenly used for a standard material spark plug. A standard material spark plug traditionally uses a nickel-alloy outer material fused to a copper core. Almost all spark plugs use a copper core center to conduct the electricity, jump the gap, and promote heat dissipation. However, as an outer electrode material, copper would not be a good choice, as it is soft and has a low melting point (resulting in a plug that would last minutes, not miles). Nearly all NGK spark plugs, including precious metals iridium and platinum, have a copper core. When one talks in terms of nickel alloys, platinum and iridium, one is referring to its durability, or how long a spark plug will last before it needs to be replaced. However, when one talks about copper, he or she is referring to its ability to conduct electricity that is needed to fire across the gap and ignite the air-fuel mixture.

There are exceptions though. My 1995 Acura Integra GS-R spec'ed a 1.3mm gap and apparently that had to use the OEM-style platinum NGKs or Densos. Standard plugs couldn't handle it for any appreciable use, although I've heard of weekend racers using them on race day.

True, I’ve seen platinum spark plugs with 100k that look basically perfect. If cost is an issue you might be better off with inspecting them rather than replacing them with inferior ones.

Last edited:
Been using NGK platinum in a 08 Corolla for about a year with no issues at all.
I don't like leaving plugs in an aluminum block (in the rust belt) for over 5 years.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I put copper (autolite 3923) in my 2AZFE camry that calls for Iridiums. Things are fine. Access for me is super easy. How is your V6?

Yup, did the same with my Focus.
No difference, other than price.

I assume the price you're finding is for the NGK Laser Iridium?

You can use the Iridium IX plugs just fine, they're less than half the price. Part #93175, $6.41/ea on Rockauto.

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
I assume the price you're finding is for the NGK Laser Iridium?

You can use the Iridium IX plugs just fine, they're less than half the price. Part #93175, $6.41/ea on Rockauto.

The big problem with those is that they don't last as long. They don't have the platinum puck on the ground electrode, so they're reliant on the ground electrode staying in good shape.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/spark-plugs/oe-style/oe-iridium

The Lexus place said anything but Iridium is a bad idea for high compression, DI engines. The spark plug for my Lexus is specified by Denso part number in the manual.

Best plugs for late model cars and best fuel economy is generally the ones that fire from a fine iridium center electrode tip to a fine platinum or iridium tip on the ground electrode. This allows for a rapid and more complete flame front propagation to the complete air fuel charge mixture. I would definitely not use a standard copper plug with flat/dull firing surfaces on a modern engine unless that is what it came with. Plug durability, economy, and probably power will all suffer some. If you buy factory equivalents on RockAuto.com, you can surely afford to put the better plugs in. Denso Iridium TT is a personal favorite when available for an application. $5-6 each plus shipping is affordable for 100,000+ miles of use.

Rockauto shows ~$6-7ea for Denso and NGK Iridiums. Even with shipping it works out to $6.28 a plug. Don't see how saving $12 for a set of 6 for the platinum would be worth it.

If it's the your Accord V6 in your sig, then iridium is a MUST! Because you know that the transverse V6 is IMPOSSIBLE to work on since you have take apart half the engine to access the rear plugs, and you do NOT want to do it again!

Get the Denso iridium from AAP with a 30% off promo code which makes them $10.49 each. And if your local AAP doesn't have them, or if they don't even have a store nearby, you get free shipping, too
smile.gif

Bosch makes iridium California-spec spark plugs for your Accord, too. Rock Auto has them for about $5 each.

Also, get the valve cover gaskets. You might as well replace them while you have the engine apart. Get the Mahle brand from Rock Auto. And replace every gasket you have to remove when fighting your way to the back of the engine.

If you had the 4-cylinder, then no, you wouldn't need iridium, because even if you had any problems, they're easy to change out.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
If it's the your Accord V6 in your sig, then iridium is a MUST! Because you know that the transverse V6 is IMPOSSIBLE to work on since you have take apart half the engine to access the rear plugs, and you do NOT want to do it again!

Get the Denso iridium from AAP with a 30% off promo code which makes them $10.49 each. And if your local AAP doesn't have them, or if they don't even have a store nearby, you get free shipping, too
smile.gif

Bosch makes iridium California-spec spark plugs for your Accord, too. Rock Auto has them for about $5 each.

Also, get the valve cover gaskets. You might as well replace them while you have the engine apart. Get the Mahle brand from Rock Auto. And replace every gasket you have to remove when fighting your way to the back of the engine.

If you had the 4-cylinder, then no, you wouldn't need iridium, because even if you had any problems, they're easy to change out.

Have you ever done plugs on a V6 Accord? They aren't that bad... Honda makes one of the few transverse V6 engines that DON'T require intake removal to access.

I can think of at least 10 other transverse V6 engines I would rather do plugs on LESS than a V6 Honda engine (regardless of application).

@14accent, I have not done it on a V6 Accord, but glad to know it's not difficult
thumbsup2.gif

My car is a 4th gen Maxima, while a transverse V6, has cutouts in the intake to access the rear plugs
smile.gif

So spark energy jumps easiest across a gap if the electrode is small in diameter and has sharp edges. As they wear, they round off and it gets tougher and tougher to fire. Iridium plugs stay sharp a long time. That means you can usually run a slightly larger gap and that means easier lighting off, especially lean conditions. It usually means slightly better gas mileage
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Who told you this? I can replace plugs in my Odyssey, J35A4 engine (transverse V6) in about ten minutes. The back plugs are actually EASIER than the front plugs because you can use common size ratchet extensions to get down in the plug hole. The front requires 2" (or two 1") which is odd when gathering tools for the job.

I have worked on vehicles that require upper intake removal for the job (such as my 02 Tribute, with transverse Ford Duratec 3.0 V6) but even that only requires a couple $5 gaskets and about 40 minutes of work instead of ten. There are a handful of nightmare engines (the Nissan VG33ER supercharged engine [not transverse], and GM 3.4L DOHC come to mind) for a spark plug R&R, but this is not one of them.

The fourth-gen Nissan has not only cut-outs for spark plug replacement, but a entirely different set of coil-on-plug modules for the rear bank that fits in a much smaller space than the front ones. Not many manufacturers want to go through the expense of designing two different coils, one for each bank. It is nice that Nissan did this, because the engine is really stuffed in there and removal of the upper intake manifold is a royal PIA.

I'm not sure I can ever get past not calling a "standard" plug copper. It's such an ubiquitous term. I like to view it as calling a spark plug by its most precious metal. I just can't wrap my head around calling a plug nickel-alloy, zinc-alloy, nickel-yttrium, etc. Standard has always been called copper or copper-core plugs in my experience, even around mechanics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back