7.3 drain plug torque

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never torqued the drain plug on my 7.3, due to not being able to find a torque spec, even with a new washer it has always had a slight leak from the plug. Amsoil lists the plug torque for the 6.0 and 6.4 Powerstroke as 32 ft lbs (their pans are identical from what I can tell), would I be ok using the 32 ft lbs spec on the 7.3 being the pan is similar to the 6.0 and 6.4 or does anyone know the actual spec for a 7.3?

Also I have some OEM Toyota flat washers and OEM Nissan crush washers, both for drain plugs. Most toyotas and nissans take an M12-1.25 drain plug. Just out of curiosity, can the flat washer be used on a nissan plug and the crush washer be used on the toyota plug, with no leaks?

You will find that flat washers and crush washers (the kind that are folded over) don't require the same torque so the answer to your question is NO. Ed

BMW, Mercedes and VW cars using copper crush washers specify 25 Nm, or 18 ft lbs. You can probably use this number and ensure no stripping and no dripping.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
I've never torqued the drain plug on my 7.3, due to not being able to find a torque spec, even with a new washer it has always had a slight leak from the plug. Amsoil lists the plug torque for the 6.0 and 6.4 Powerstroke as 32 ft lbs (their pans are identical from what I can tell), would I be ok using the 32 ft lbs spec on the 7.3 being the pan is similar to the 6.0 and 6.4 or does anyone know the actual spec for a 7.3?

Also I have some OEM Toyota flat washers and OEM Nissan crush washers, both for drain plugs. Most toyotas and nissans take an M12-1.25 drain plug. Just out of curiosity, can the flat washer be used on a nissan plug and the crush washer be used on the toyota plug, with no leaks?

Unlike others on this forum, I think torque specifications are important. I own 6 different torque wrenches and use them all the time. Your truck is a 1999. Here are the torque specs for a 2000 7.3. Should be the same. Seems a little light to me. Might want to double check the web site.

http://www.superdutypsd.com/torque_specifications.php

Last edited:
Thanks Silversnake, I think the same. The main reason I torque drain plugs is due to the fact that if for some reason the plug were to come out, all the oil would come out before you would notice and well, you know what happens then. Cheap insurance to put a new gasket, torque it spec, and drive knowing the drain plug will 99% chance not back out. And yes before anyone asks I send my torque wrenches in more often than most for calibration.

That torque spec of 28 ft lbs is for a 7.3 IDI plug, I have a 7.3 Powerstroke, not sure if the Stroke calls for a different spec.

Thanks Silversnake, I think the same. The main reason I torque drain plugs is due to the fact that if for some reason the plug were to come out, all the oil would come out before you would notice and well, you know what happens then. Cheap insurance to put a new gasket, torque it spec, and drive knowing the drain plug will 99% chance not back out. And yes before anyone asks I send my torque wrenches in more often than most for calibration.

That torque spec of 28 ft lbs is for a 7.3 IDI plug, I have a 7.3 Powerstroke, not sure if the Stroke calls for a different spec.

Torque? Smorque! Try safety wire, tack welding, or blue thread-locker. Shouldn't every bolt on a diesel truck have blue thread-locker applied to it, anyway?
grin.gif

Do you honestly think the dealer would use a torque wrench on the drain plug? I doubt it. It's not a big deal and I believe I only changed the washer twice since changing my oil in the last 40 years.If it doesn't leak, I reuse it.

Last edited:

I always order the service manual as soon as available for all the vehicles I own (except for the wife's BMWs). The manuals have all the step by step procedures and torque specs for everything I am likely to do. I let the dealer take care of the wife's car (My car care energy level goes down every year). You should be able to get a manual for your truck at a reasonable cost. If not ask one of the techs at a Ford dealer to look it up for you. The guys at my FCA dealership are very helpful in that regard. I have even had them print out a sheet for me showing the information I requested.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back